1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Pride Tattoos and Advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by UserName, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would suggest really giving this some serious thought and perhaps waiting.

A pride tattoo on your back means that any time you're at a beach anywhere, you're going to get noticed. In some places, that may not be safe.

Additionally, that particular tattoo is a little militant in the message it is sending, and may send a message that's threatening to the bigoted assholes who would be the most likely to hassle you in the first place. And since it's an adaptation of a symbol that was commonly used in the 60s to represent the "black power" message, and still used among some of the more militant types in the African-American community, you may also find that some people might find it offensive and, in turn, hassle you about it.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, and it might be fine, but I'd encourage you to give really serious thought before getting a large tattoo that undeniably says "I'M A HOMO" any time you're in a gym shower, at the beach, walking shirtless, or in any other circumstance that could have a lot of people around. There are an awful lot of places in the US, not to mention other countries, where I definitely wouldn't feel safe calling attention to myself in that way.

2. JB1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, personally I love it,and i think it'll look great. I have a No H8 poster in my room that looks almost exactly like that. I think you should definitely do it. :slight_smile: :thumbsup:

I kinda want to get a tattoo too. I do have my 24th birthday coming up here in just twelve days, so part of me is thinking it might be time. Just a thought. Here are some designs I've found that I think look cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love Superman (I'm not sure on Winnie The Pooh. I love Pooh Bear,but I'd be more inclined to go with Superman.) I think the other two just look fucking cool.

3. Zach1992

This is the type of tattoo I want. (Not the color)
    [​IMG]

4. EWU2012

If I were to get one it would actually be my 4th tattoo. For me it is just that all my current ones are on my legs. I have a huge dragon from my knee to my ankle then one on my calf and then my last name on my other leg. I have them on my legs because they can be covered when I wear jeans but I am thinking about getting one on my wrist. It would be more out there and harder to cover so I a still thinking about it.

5. xCrazyInsanity

EWU2012, the ankh, definately.
    the 6(7?) stars looks tacky, and the first one could have been redesigned a little.

JB1986, the poohbear and the rainbow box one look really badly done, just so you know. it looks like I drew them [im not an artist :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:]

OP, like the idea, maybe somewhere more discrete to prevent hassling?

6. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Just go with 'F**k Off, im gay.' right across your back. :grin:

I like simple but interesting designs like that barcode one.

7. xequar

You're gay and into fisting?

No?

Sorry, that's the first thing I thought of.

8. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

My friend's sister actually got the lesbian version of that tattooed on her lower back. I think it looks really cool.

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I LOVE the barcode one and the superman one. The Winnie the Pooh one is a little, uh, gay for my tastes :slight_smile:

My original comment still stands but i reread it and realized it came off too negatively. If you're confident that you can handle whatever negativity comes of that visiblity, then go for it... but i do think that maybe a less prominent place or smaller or something might be wise.

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually liked the stars one, maybe because it came out so well. This may sound weird, but I like well-done tattoos so much better than even clever ones that aren't done all that great.

Lex

11. EWU2012

Here is the site that I got my pics from. http://www.outsidethelines.biz/pridetats.html There are some good designs and some not so good designs in my opinion. I agree with Lex that you want to find someone that is good at tattooing. It may cost more but you really get what you pay for. I paid $380 for my dragon and it turned out amazing. The guy pretty much free handed the entire thing because dragons are his speciality. I easily could have went to another place that would have cost me under $300 but I just didnt like the guys work. It isn't too big of a deal in simple designs but when it is more technical pay the extra $. You will be much happier in the end. I have a pic of the dragon tattoo on my profile to check it out.

12. Absentminded

Yeah, I've got pix on my profile too if you wanna see. Mine was done by a really good artist.

13. star shine

i dont know what kind of tat to get