1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eye Contact When Talking.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Ashley2103

I can keep eye contact, but I don't like to. When I make eye contact, it is usually because I am not trusting the person (like if I don't know them) or angry.

#61 Ashley2103, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  2. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I make eye contact with someone I feel close to or that I'm attracted to. I do make eye contact with people I rarely speak with (strangers and acquaintances) but it gets awkward for me.

3. MisterTinkles

Manners and Etiquette - Eye Contact:

Basic rule of eye contact while speaking to someone is 3 seconds. You glance away at something about every 3 seconds.

Holding firm eye contact is considered bad manners, and is just creepy.

Not looking at someone at all is considered disrespectful, and shows you have no interest in anything they are saying to you, much less have any regard for them.

Unless you are outside in the sun, or on the beach........you are to never, ever speak to someone with your sunglasses on. That is the epitome of disrespect and rudeness.

For some superstitious people, wearing sunglasses indoors, much less speaking to someone with them on, is considered very bad luck.

A lot of people not only consider it rude to talk to someone with sunglasses on, it also shows the other person you are hiding something, because you refuse not only to look at someone without sunglasses on, but you give them the feeling that they don't matter, because you are too lazy to even remove your sunglasses while speaking to them.

You get a lot of "feedback" while speaking to someone by looking at them.....their facial expressions, their eye movement, and whether they are looking or not looking at you when you speak.

People who refuse to look someone else in the eye while speaking to them are usually the types of people that can be "ran over" by more aggressive and bossy types. Looking someone in the eye while speaking to them means many different things, including strength and assertiveness.

4. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I only look at him in the eyes if I respect him...If I don't, I keep on talking while looking at a different direction...

5. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My anxiety (and possible ADHD) kinda forces me to not keep eye contact for more than half a second. There are very few times when I've deliberately looked someone in the eye, and it was a real task, then.

6. WallWeed

I am the absolute WORST at eye contact. I just can't do it. I'll look up when they're talking and looking in the other direction, but the second our eyes meet, I dart away.

7. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I make eye contact, break eye contact briefly (about two seconds), then make eye contact again. I prefer to have eye contact when having a conversation with someone

A sketchy guy at work can never look me in the eye for longer than 2 seconds (The complete opposite of me), he keeps looking somewhere else. I don't trust him, and he's got a reputation of being a skirt chaser (Fortunately I don't wear skirts. Just kidding. He came onto me too when I first started here).

8. JohnX

Out Status:
    A few people
    I can make eye contact with girls. I can't look at a boy's eyes even for 10 seconds. It's either I stare at the background or look at my hands when we're talking or check my phone every moment just to avoid eye contact. I feel weak when it comes to boys, especially when he's cute or gorgeous.

#68 JohnX, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  9. Kilbert

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've read (or heard) from somewhere that keeping too long of an eye contact can be bad to a conversation, aside from what was mentioned above. A "normal" eye contact usually is making it, breaking it then making it again over and over throughout a conversation.
    Things might be a little different in some situations, like interviews where it is important.

For me, I don't like it. I find people looking at me as intimidating. There are times though that I look at someone enough to make them uncomfortable, just because I'm too interested in what they're saying.

10. tscott

I always make I contact, but not to the point one feels uncomfortable.

11. Ortensia

Ortensia Guest

I'm terrible at making eye contact, it makes me so awkward and uncomfortable and I never know when to look away :S

12. vipco3

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Depends on who I'm speaking with usually I make eye contact or look near them or away if I'm uncomfortable. Usually when I'm uncomfortable I make eye contact look away and make eye contact again.

13. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Omg. I have never got the whole importance of looking people in the eyes. It's considered sooo important here (while a no-no in other cultures) I have ADD and my focus tends to wander or if I see someone out my brain may be totally focused on something else and I may not think to acknowledge them. My mom used to demand "look me in the eyes when I speak to you!" while she gave long winded speaches to me when I "messed up"... god I hated that and it was torcher for someone with ADD. I have tried to improve with eye contact. I always make some eye contact in social settings. But idk why it is SOOO important. I think people read too much into how people look when they are speaking. I agree; it is unfair for people with social anxiety or other disorders as some have mentioned such as Aspergers, ADD, ADHD.... sooo yeah...

14. The Wallflower

I cannot make eye contact, it just makes me uncormfortable. Especially with strangers or less known people.

However, if I'm comfortable with the person, I may make eye contact for a few seconds but then I'll look somewhere else again. It just freaks me out. I have no idea why.

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

*Stares!*

16. The Wallflower

[​IMG]

17. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think I'm good at it. Now if you are describing to me something technical or mathematical, I'll automatically will stare at the void. This means my brain is working. People who know me get used to it quiclky : They know they can expect the very best from me... Well, from my brain.

If it's something personal, i'll be staring intensely at you, analyzing your expression.

18. HugasaurusRex

When I am talking to someone I make an imaginary triangle on their face between their eyes and the mouth and keep my gaze in the triangle. It shows a greater level of attention and is a great tactic to use in an interview! :grin:. But if it is a casual conversation, then I tend to wander off with my eyes while still paying attention. I get distracted far too easily.

19. essie

I always look at people straight in the eyes when talking, because it's a way to deeply connect with the person you're talking to and just because eyes are so freaking pretty.

20. HugasaurusRex

OMG! Only serial killers and insane people do that :O :lol: