1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dating in the closet

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by mada85, Mar 10, 2013.

1. mada85

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have recently begun to accept who i really am and i started talking to a great guy, who is out. This is the first guy who i have ever talked to beyond a hookup. They were all awkward situations and i would just run off after, the conversations were never anything past sex anyway. This just feels right, i'm still scared to death though. We actually went out in public yesterday! It was my first time out with a guy,which i have to say was better then any date i've ever had with a women. It actually wasn't as bad as i thought it would be, i didn't see anybody i know, lol. I couldn't stop looking over my shoulder and over interpreting every passing glance. But he helped me through it, anybody who is contemplating that first public outing, GO FOR IT! The only downside, which really does suck is i can't talk about it with anybody, i can't wait for the day i'm comfortable enough in my own skin to admit who i really am. Anyway let me stop rambling, what I'm really looking for is any advice on a first relationship with another guy. I'm lost and don't want to screw this up.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats on your first date! You will remember it forever, whatever else happens.

Like you, I've had hookups and they are not the same thing, at all. Suddenly you are confronted with the fact that you are dealing with a man who wants more than the rush of sex, someone with feelings, hopes, regrets and dreams.

Get to know him, remember and think about what he is saying to you, care about it, respect him for who he is and what he wants to become, find the good in him and love that, then give him something that matters to him, thoughtful things...

...do that and I think you will have a good chance of not "screwing this up" at all.

It's simple and difficult at the same time, but treat him as you would like to be treated, assuming that you know exactly how you would like to be treated...