Could You Be Friends With Somebody Who Thinks Sexuality Is A Choice?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by aeva, May 16, 2012.

1. Vesper

I honestly don't think I could stay friends with someone of that mindset.

I am friends with my mom, who still thinks that being gay is a choice, so technically speaking, I just contradicted what I previously said. Still, my friendship with my mom is of a different nature than just any old friendship.

2. Lewis

I wouldn't really care, as long as I know, it doesn't matter what they think.

3. Hmmmmm

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Only if the person was okay with that choice, but even then, I'd always be a little leery of them.

4. toremi

toremi Guest

I am kinda confused by some responses.

I mean I know I posted it before but I guess I just have confusion on why it would be a make or break thing, only because it isn't a proven fact. As long as the person doesn't judge or discriminate based on their opinion, it is just that their opinion.

I think acceptance is a good thing because we are never all going to see eye to eye it's just impossible. Acceptance is what everyone is looking for, so if he knows your beliefs and accepts them I feel it should work in reverse. Maybe it is just an idealistic view. idk

5. ShadowDragon

I really think its fine that he thinks that because the whole world is made up of opinions. Even if you dont think someones opinion is right doesnt mean you should show hate even if some opinions are completely wrong and disgusting. If there wasnt opinion the world would be boring and have no uniqueness.. I dont really think you should try to change his mind because it is just a opinion.

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What if the opinion is also hateful?

I think that's what people are getting at. The opinion is certainly disrespectful on at least two levels: first, you don't believe all the people who tell you it's not a choice; second, you believe that all of these people are making the decision to get abused by the rest of the society.

7. dano22

dano22 Guest

I seen people who disagree with being gay be friends with gay people and they are great friends so It can work out. I prefer to be friends with someone who i am comfortable sharing my feelings with and that I can do that without them being uncomfortable. So it is easier to be friends with people who accept you.

8. Mogget

The problem with your second point is that it implies that, if being gay were a choice, it would be a bad or wrong one. That as gay people we should be looking for a cure. I think we always need to be careful of playing into the homophobes' hands by agreeing that being gay is a bad thing at all.