1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

constant pain

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Ilayis, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

Alright,so I have been getting this pain in my chest the last couple of days and it kind of worries me!I'll just be sitting in a restaurant, and I'll get a light pain around my whole chest that will gradually become pretty painful.The last time it happened I was sitting alone and it kept getting worse until I had my head on the table trying to rub the pain out.Later on that day I had a bad pain in my right hand that had no reason to hurt while my left one had no problem at all.Now I'm a chainsmoker and I know it is a contributing factor.I'm just trying to know what is causing the pain,if there is a link between my chest and my hand,and what I should do about it.

Has this ever happened to anyone,and if so what did you do?

2. It could be acid reflux. My mom had mirror symptoms of yours almost and she thought she was having a heart attack. She went to the doctors and they concluded it was Acid reflux, so that might be all it is.

3. Sam

Sam

well whatever it is you need to go see a doctor because it could be serious.

4. Bryan

Sounds really similar to my acid reflux, when that happens I normally take 3 rolaids or tums and it goes away. But if you are a smoker, that may be something way more serious, you should go see your doctor ASAP and explain what is happening.

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Anytime you feel pain in your chest, you should get to the doctor immediately and have it checked out!!!! This is nothing to mess around with.

6. xxAngelOnFirexx

the first things that comes to mind as a learned hypochondriac that you are having heart problems, like heart attack or stroke. see a doctor immediatly!! i have acid reflux and my mom has heart burn and reflux. it shouldn't be that bad or go to your arm. that is a sure sign of heart problems!

7. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Though you are young and unlikely to have heart problems, because of your symptoms it is strongly suggestive and it is not unheard of that someone your age could have a heart attack. You will see stories every now and again of young athletes collapsing on the field with a heart problem. Yes it could be acid reflux or a chest wall injury, but until proven otherwise, it should be checked out.

The chain smoking is not of benefit to you and could contribute to the symptoms. Nicotine causes the arteries to constrict and in some cases will cause spasms, which will mimic a heart attack. If this is the case, in time it is possible instead of a temporary thing, it will be the real thing. Reconsider your decision to smoke and quit if possible or if you are unable, limit yourself to 6 or no more than 10 a day.

But get this checked out. Hope all turns out well.

8. Louise

There is probaby no reason to panic, but in your shoes I would be straight down to the doctors!

You only get one body and one life, you need to look after them both!

Keep us posted. :thumbsup:

9. Vates

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I hope that you went to the doctors, 'cause heart problems really aren't something to be slow about.

I had reasonably similar symptoms and I was also told it was acid reflux. Then I demanded further tests and they found out that I was tachycardic and that I was well on my way to a heart attack. But don't be scared, 'cause my situation was a dramatically unusual one (and very unlikely).

But as with all medical issues; if it worries you, then it's definately worth a trip to the doctor.

I hope that everything goes well and that you're better soon. (*hug*)

10. tayana

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had similar issues and it was acid reflux, and I still have the problem if I have too much caffiene.

However, I would get to the doctor as soon as possible, perhaps an urgent care if there's too long a wait at your regular doctor. It never hurts to be on the safe side, especially if it's worrying you.

11. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I agree with the others - go to the doctor and have it checked out. Better safe than sorry. If it is acid reflux he/she may be able to prescribe or suggest something that will help it.

I agree with JayHew on the smoking too. Please try to cut down on that. You could speak to the doctor about that while you're there, as they may be able to help you cut down and quit.

Please let us know how you get on.

(By the way, I moved this to Health and Well-Being as you accidentally posting it in Support and Advice.)

12. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

Well I just got off the phone with my grandma who's a nurse.She says I could have been passing a blood clot or had a very small heart attack.She also recommends seeing a doctor and if pain comes back to go to the emergency room.
    I have been trying to quit smoking,and I'm trying to learn again how to live without cigarettes.I did notice I put this in the wrong catagory,but I didn't know if I could move it myself(i think not).I appreciate the advise and suggestions.Thank you(&&&)

13. SpikySpice

I really dont know much about chest pain...

But glad taht you feel fien and your grandma is a nurse

Well, I hope you cn get rid of smoking, becasue if you dont, there will be more pain to pay later and especially when you get old ...

(*hug*)

14. Kimi

Hmm...so you guys would say even sharp pain in my chest should be checked out??

15. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Yes. Any chest pain could be a heart attack or an advanced warning of one, and should be checked out ASAP. In the UK there are radio adverts urging people to call an ambulance if they experience central chest pain.

From http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=187&sectionId=10 (in the UK 999 is the emergency number, the same as 911 or 112 in other countries)

16. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

For Kimi and others: Chest pain can come in many forms and varying intensities. It is but a symptom of something going on and has to be taken in while viewing the whole picture. Pain coupled with other things can add up to a likely diagnosis of a problem. It is the history of the problem that is most important (ies, this + this + this = this) meaning it is the history of a complaint that produces about 95% of a diagnosis and any lab work (x-ray, lab tests) only add perhaps 1-2% more. In fact lab work generally is suppose to confirm what that problem is. That is why it is so important to give as much detail to what, when, where, how and why is so important to a diagnosis.

Now that being said, there are a few general rules in regard to chest pain. Keep in mind in medicine, never say never and never say always. There can be caveats to any rule as individuals though generally put together the same, there are often individual differences, so what is specific to one may not be to another. But there are general rules that can be followed and if something is outside those, it should be checked into.

So here goes: Any sharp pain needs to be checked out- generally, no. Sharp pain is usually associated with muscle pain. The muscles of the chest wall can go into spasm and be like having a "charlie horse" or cramp in the chest, instead of the leg. It can result from a strain due to overuse or an injury from over extending or from lifting too much. A rip in the muscle can result and once muscle is injured, it tends to cramp to protect itself. Generally chest wall pain is associated with movement but can also be present when no activity is taking place, when you are resting and seems to go away when you move. The pain will more likely be sharp but at times of inactivity it can ache. If you can pinpoint it for the most part, it is generally muscle.

The sort of pain to look out for: Feeling of constriction or wrapping around the chest. Feelings of a weight sitting on your chest. A constricting pain (being squeezed) from the front of the chest straight through to your back. Chest pain that also is associated with pain in the arms (either one or both) or to the neck and pain with sweating, shortness of breath or dizziness. Other pain, a deep intense ache within that throbs or if there is great intensity that is shearing or feelings of ripping.

Those are general rules but if at anytime you feel there is something wrong, seek medical attention. There are a number of people each year that have pain associated with a heart attack and deny what is happening and die either before they seek medical attention or delay it so long before going it is too late.

17. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

thanx for the info