1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out letter for the work place

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Carla01, Jan 15, 2024.

1. Carla01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Does the EC group have coming out example letter for the work place ?

Thank You

2. Nic2552

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Never done that at any of my jobs. To me It’s none of ppl business especially at a workplace. If they did find out it that’s due to word of mouth. Even if my coworkers did find out , no one treated me differently or asked me.

Ipswichfan likes this.
  3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was lucky that I started my job shortly after I transitioned. My job has been super accepting. I told them when I got hired because part of it was a background check. I think that the best thing is to not make the letter too long and stick to the point. Most people don't have the attention span to read a longer letter and will skip to the end. I would cover the practical parts, like your new name and how you would like to be addressed and how you would like to tell the team that you work with.

4. Carla01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Thank you for the advice how to write the letter

You are correct as managers and persons don't want to read long letter, short and sweat they prefer

I leased with my company human resources and they advice that the choice is totally mine if I want to inform my manager and the team about my trans gendering. They are willing to work with me trough the process if I choose so.

The reality is that I will properly over time look more feminine because of the medication I am on

5. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're doing the right thing. HR are there to protect your rights and make situations like this as comfortable as possible for you. Well done for letting your work know in a way that works for you. Good luck with writing your letter :slight_smile:

6. tearingtherose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A close friend and colleague of mine came out as trans to the workplace on March 31st last year, the International Transexual Visability Day. In the weeks leading up to it, she came out 1-1 with her immediate team members and colleagues she interacted with regularly.

This was after initially coming out to her manager and suggesting the course of action she wished to follow. I had no reservations, she'd clearly thought her plan through though I suggested that coming out one by one might be quite draining. She agreed but felt she had to, especially as several of us had worked together elsewhere for some time.

The message for the rest of the company was posted in our general purpose Slack channel where she promptly received lots of emojis and messages of encouragement.

With her permission, it's reproduced in an anonymous form below.

Happy Trans Visibility day everyone!

Trans visibility day is a day to honour the struggles that transgender individuals have faced and continue to face, and to recognise their resilience, courage, and achievements.

I wanted to let you know that I am transgender and identify as female. I am sharing this with you because I want to be my authentic self and feel more comfortable at work.

I came out to my family and friends a little over 6 months ago, and since then, I've worked hard to overcome denial and start medically transitioning. As of this week, I'm already 3 and a half months into my medical transition, and I feel amazing!

My pronouns are she/her, and I will soon be legally changing my name to xxxxx yyyyy zzzzz. I kindly request that from now on, you refer to me using my preferred name and use female pronouns (she/her) when addressing or referring to me. Your support and understanding mean a lot to me as I navigate this important step in my journey.

I understand that this might be new or confusing for some of you, and I am open to answering any questions you might have.

I am still the same person and want to continue working with all of you as part of the team.

I would appreciate your support in creating a welcoming and inclusive work environment for everyone.

#6 tearingtherose, Jan 23, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2024
  7. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's a nice well put letter

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sounds like you are working with an awesome HR department. They have your back which is great! I agree that the letter mentioned above is a good letter. It stays to the point and is not too long.