Buried or Cremated?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Data, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Sitri

Buried, I'll let nature return me to dust, not the machinations of some hellish maw. Besides I HATE the heat, and love the cold. If I had to die, I'd choose freezing to death.

2. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm probably one of the few people who'd prefer to be donated to science instead of being buried or cremated. For one, I absolutely hate the idea of people standing around in grass bawling their eyes out as someone who'd been a part of their lives for better or for worse was slowly lowered 6 feet beneath the earth's surface. And while being cremated doesn't sound like too terrible of an idea, I do know there are a lot of things about the human body we still don't know to this day, plus I was born with a rare liver disease that still has me wondering to this day why I've been too healthy to be considered for an upcoming transplant. So, while my forte isn't complex science, I'd give anything to contribute to it so that medicine can be better in the future.

3. Sweetums

I'd like to be cremated, be kept in a nice, glossy and shiney urn. It'd be awesome if my family would keep it where they could see it everyday. I pretty much dislike the thought of preparing the body just for the worms to slowly consume it. Better speed up the ''dust to dust'' process. :lol:

4. fulcrum

I think if I were young enough, then donating my organs (whatever they can salvage) and cremate the rest. If I live a full life, I'll probably be married and have a couple of kids. Then being buried would be better.

I think being buried is nice for the people who are left behind, for closure and for having a place to go place flowers in the years afterward. We do that now for my grandparents who died recently.

5. WeAreYoung

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think cremation for me... Always found it weird being in a graveyard and thinking of someone you know being in the ground, under you. Even though it's not really them... My mum always said if I ended up in an accident, died and I got burried (shes lovely :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) she'd never be able to leave the grave. So, purely because I'd wanna rest in peace... it would have to be cremation lol!

6. for me the sooner I die the better, can't hurry it along fast enough

and I don't know enough people to qualify for a party

My preference was organ donor, no longer qualify for that, next idea is donate to science but that requires legal documents and I can't afford the attorney to fill out the papers

so I would just like to be thrown through a shredder and used as fertilizer :thumbsup:

knowing everyone would freak at that and it be made illegal - cremate me, since they charge for that and I am broke I am probably going to end up buried in a "potters field"

7. timo

Preferably neither, for the next 60 years or so.

But eventually I'll die. If any of my organs are useful I'll happily donate them to people who need them/science/something else. Besides that... I don't care. I would be dead anyway so it's not like what happens would affect me.

I do want my funeral (or whatever) to be a party though. Dance motherfucker, dance.

8. Silver Sparrow

Jewish tradition generally frowns on cremation, but I find the idea of being scattered over water appealing (provided it doesn't impact the ecosystem).

9. My Two Wings

Whatever would be the cheapest for whoever would be in charge of that. Preferably, I don't want a funeral or to be buried. Never thought I'd ever criticize funerals, but the more recent ones I've been to seem to miss the point of what I would think a funeral should be. Should be something involving actually mourning the dead and not using that person's death as a way to shoehorn in "CONVERT TO OUR CHURCH" advertisements.

I don't really want to be buried, because that just seems like a waste of land. Unless it was something like what savannah said:
    That sounds fine to me. And no tombstone. Make my tombstone a newly planted tree or something.

That's my preference but again, whatever won't burden my kin with too much expenses just so I can "rest in peace".

10. Necrose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    After it's a sure thing I am in fact dead, anything that's still useable by someone can be taken out and donated. I've heard stories about people being buried alive, only to have their caskets exhumed, find them dead, and signs of struggle on the casket lid. I don't care if that's just an urban legend. It's my luck they'll bury me because they think I'm dead and I'll wake up in the casket six feet under. I don't want that. Anywho, after everybody is sure I'm dead and my useable organs are being put to use by someone who needs then, I think I'd prefer to be buried so anybody who feels for whatever reason they need to visit me after I'm gone has a place they can do so.

You know Robert E. Lee's mother was buried alive. Her husband had nightmares every night of her waking up in the casket, only to struggle and die, for a while after she had supposedly died. One day, they dug her back up and she woke up in the casket and went on to give birth to the Confederate General.

11. animequeen567

My plan was always to get rich and get put in one of those little buildings, one made for myself. Mausoleum? Is that what it is called?

12. Thedistra

I would like to be a tree after I die so I would go the Bio Urn way. Otherwise I don't mind what happens to my body. If I was to be buried my headstone should say something amusing though. Like "I stood in the fire" but more clever than that.

13. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh hell no I don't want to be cremated. Even if I'm dead I can't stand the thought of my body being incinerated. Just bury in the cemetery in the town I grew up in because it's so beautiful, especially in the fall. It overlooks a lake, and in the fall with all the colors it's absolutely beautiful.

Now, most people that know me are like, "WHAT!!! I thought you hated your hometown/state!"

Yeah, it wasn't fun living there, but when I'm dead, the weather doesn't matter anymore. ♫Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.♫

It's same reason my grandma wants to be buried under a lilac bush is because she was always allergic to lilacs, and when she's dead, it doesn't matter anymore.

14. Aquilo

That's a horrible idea! :eek:

(current space debris)[​IMG]
    Imagine being hit by something with a speed of 7 km/second.. No more spaceflights, satellites, GPS etc. etc. if people start doing this too much.

I don't know if I wish to be buried or cremated.. maybe donating stuff to science would be nice.

15. musicrebel

I want to be cremated because I don't want people staring at my dead body. To me, it's freaky. I've been to two funerals with people who were buried and it kinda scares me. I don't want people to look at me not alive. I want them to remember me when I was alive and not see me just pale and motionless.

16. Elder Scrolls lore. The Dunmer (dark elves) burn their dead.

17. Data

Data Guest

I don't think cemeteries are a waste of space. Whoever says that has NEVER been to the huge expanses of undeveloped desert in AZ. We have so much space the state government has begun selling it to buyers just to get some extra cash. You could probably fit all the cemeteries in the whole country in just the empty space of AZ.

The saddest thing to me is how they stack plain wooden caskets three in a column. Each has a tag that says "John Doe #XXXXXXXX" or Jane if they all female remains. Those people don't even have a name and they have no one to visit them and pay respects. Someday I just want to visit the unknown section of our cemetery and just visit the people buried there.

One of the things I'll do in my life is visit the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers. I absolutely love how the tomb is guarded 24/7, rain, shine, or fucking tornado.

I know some people have said they don't want their family to be expected to visit them, but it isn't really like that for me. I just want to be in one spot with a headstone so that people CAN come if they want and talk to me. I like open casket funerals because I can see the person one last time before they are buried.

I still talk to a few dead friends of mine. I still have one of their phone numbers in my phone. I transfer it over each time I get a new cell phone. When I have trouble troubleshooting a radio or an electronic circuit, I talk to my friend Jeff who ended up killing himself. I ask him what I'm doing wrong and what I am not seeing. Sometimes it's just the pause and monologue that allows me to look at the problem fresh.

If I pray to a God I've never seen or heard, it's very easy to talk to a friend who I've spent years with and seen many times.

I envision it like the scene from Vampire Diaries where Damon goes to Alarick's grave and pours him a whiskey. He talks to him on the otherside. Alarick can hear Damon, but he can't respond.

18. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to be buried standing up, no coffin, in the woods on my folks' land in northern Michigan, such that I can be absorbed by them, and perhaps symbolically wander the nature where I came from. I don't want any coffins and caskets and all that, too expensive. One body on 150 acres isn't gonna harm a thing.

~

A more cynical friend of mine wants to be cremated, and have her ashes flushed down the toilet at a random MCDonald's, as a testament to how homogenized life is in America.

#58 HuskyPup, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  19. Aquilo

I think I might actually prefer cremation after one thought popped up in my head.. In most cemeteries you are only buried for 10-20 years (or a bit longer if relatives pay up).. and then all remains are removed. There's no space in Europe to stay buried in one place forever : (

20. Formality

Eaten by something. You know..... the circle of life? Burning a corpse seems like such a waste, carbondioxide gets spewed out in the atmosphere and nature can't really do anything useful with the remaining ashes. Also putting a corpse in a casket isolates it from the sorrounding nature which I also find supid. You get my point, as long as my corpse is "beneficial" to nature in some way it's all good. Sure there could still be some kind of place for people to remember me, but that doesn't mean I have to be buried there. *Person talking to corpse/ashes*... W. E. I. R. D. O.

---------- Post added 8th Dec 2013 at 12:37 AM ----------

Haha, gave me a good laugh! :lol: