1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"body dysphoria makes you trans"--questions

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by oh my god I, Feb 4, 2016.

1. oh my god I

@Eveline well, I guess that's the problem? In my emotions, I am female, I can't process what "trans" even means on an emotional level, I am just female, so I can't understand that I have limitations from being trans. I judge myself as if I am cis female, I think about my life as if it is being lived by a cis female so from that perspective my narrative makes absolutely no sense. What is this big hole in my past where there should be the same life any normal girl would have...? I want to be young,,I want to be pursued, I want to make mistakes, I want mr. right. I want to have kids, why can't I do that? Doesn't compute. I don't want to face it. I'm phobic of anything reminding me I am not female, which unfortunately is all the things that matter in life... I don't know how to live my life, all my natural urges and desires seem impossible.... when I remember I am not physically female I just want to die.

I don't put any effort into my transition because I guess I don't even believe transition is real. It feels like everything has been too broken for too long in too many ways. It hurts. I can't even talk about it to people because I just break down crying endlessly. The more I think about it the more it hurts. I am crying right now.

---------- Post added 4th Feb 2016 at 10:57 PM ----------

I guess we are the opposite. I have done very little to physically transition but match society's definition and perception of a woman, on the surface. I tried to detransition, and apparently still matched society's definition of a woman. So I'm trying to retransition, and I'm lost at this point really.

I don't need to define it I am just trying to understand. I feel like I'm not connecting to what it means to be trans and it is probably my fault. I'm sorry if I'm being annoying :x

---------- Post added 4th Feb 2016 at 11:05 PM ----------

Oh, true. I remember reading about Elagabalus, though that's not a very encouraging example lol.

2. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Aww... (*hug*)

I think it is important for you to understand that how you feel now, that feeling of being lost and the confusion and sadness are a part of the transition process. By talking about it, by sharing it with others I believe that you are facing up to the demons of your past and slowly coming to terms with what you went through and making sense of your past. It is probably one of the harder experiences that we go through and it can take us to some very dark places but it is natural and from talking to others, most people who are trans go through it at some point in the transition process. Part of this process is to to through a stage of mourning to cope with the loss that is inherent in being trans. You will also have slowly deconstruct the doubts and learn to accept yourself for who you are.

In my experience, throughout this process you will be incredibly vulnerable and you should be patient with yoursrlf and take things slowly step by step. Things do get better but it takes time and when you complete it, you should be at peace with yourself and feel as if your past is a part of your life and it will stop haunting you. I know that it hurts and I am sorry that you have to go through such an experience but it will also bring with it a sense of growth and confidence as you realize how brave you have been and how far you've come. You should be proud of yourself and I hope that in time you will understand why.

Much love and all the hugs in the world,

(*hug*)

Eveline

#22 Eveline, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  3. oh my god I

I appreciate your support Eveline.

I don't know, I actually have already accepted my past as part of my life, but, it was a past in which everything happened to not me. Beyond the age of puberty, all I really wanted before was to die and that's how I lived my past. Respectfully I don't think all trans women go through this, mostly they marry women and have children, which I never had the slightest desire to do, so I did not have options like that.

For my past, there's not much to accept. It doesn't hurt because of what I missed anymore, now it hurts because of what I am still missing and I don't know how to solve it. I can cosmetically alter my body but, it will not make me physically female. More than a loss it's an ongoing lack. I can't think of a single trans woman who has lived a normal life for a straight woman, when all I want is a normal life. I'm getting older, and it terrifies me. I guess I have life dysphoria. Everything reminds me that things are not how I want them to be. Maybe I should be more optimistic, and believe that men who are into me would still be into me if they knew, and I could have a real, fulfilling relationship, and eventually adopt, and things could be better.

But in terms of my feelings, I don't see how I'm supposed to feel okay with my body. It's not female. People think my body is female and it's just not. I don't enjoy passing, I feel guilty for it. With men, I feel like a false advertisement. I don't have any sense that anything I do to it will make my body more female. I don't feel desirable at all.

#23 oh my god I, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  4. AlexTheGrey

Considering how often I've gotten that "at a glance" wrong myself, I'm not sure I buy this argument. Even then, it seems a poor analogy to compare faces to brains, when brains do develop in part as a reaction to what we use them for. In the case of faces, we have both hormones and gendered adornments to help (hair, makeup). And when we don't conform, we do tend to confuse people during that glance.

And again, the study didn't suggest there were no statistical differences, but rather you cannot tell the sex of an individual from these scans. The fact that there wasn't a clear way to tell is itself interesting.

Reimer's story is tragic, but to deny the real complexity of what he faced is to ignore the totality of his struggle. The issue there is that his gentials were 100% removed, as a baby. You can't just reassign someone back to male and not expect lasting trauma. The trauma itself of being an "incomplete" male (something some of us can identify with) due to the circumcision, but also the trauma itself of the enforcement of the female gender role he was placed under continued to haunt him.

Yes, we can label that dysphoria, but let's not fall under the illusion that it was because he doubted his manhood. It was because his manhood, which he had at one point, was taken away in a practice which honestly shouldn't be as common in the developed world as it is.

As for intersex, the fact that many accept their assigned sex is actually irrelevant. Especially in the face of being able to diagnose the particular source. And you should be right about half the time just by flipping a coin. It's the fact that we keep getting it wrong in non-trivial numbers that shows that there's more to it. I honestly wish that there was better data here, but what I have seen says the transition rates are higher than the rest of the population. That either means that you are more likely to be trans if you are intersex (assuming a social cause), or there is a biological source for identity and our best guesses are revealing that we suck at guessing an intersex child's identity.

Despite all the arguing I just did, I do hear you. The doubts are terrible, and the lack of acceptance can be daunting. I know because one of the things that keeps me stuck at times are not that different from what you just said, just future tense. Can I ever be "real"? Will I still be able to hold onto the people important to me, and remain intimate with someone? Am I just setting myself up for a different kind of pain?

And yes, it is hard to find positive stories for trans women out there. Especially when I just tried and mostly just found one that was positive, up until she was widowed. How Google sorts results doesn't help either. Honestly, people like Julia Serano tend to give me the most hope, by sharing what their lives are actually like, as well as trying to fight the ideas in society that put us under the spotlight and make it so difficult in the first place.

But I just want to say that these doubts you have, and any possible struggles ahead are not because you aren't real. It results from society deciding it is better to try to break you, than let you be who you are. Transphobia is a hell of a thing, even more so when we take it, internalize it, and use it against ourselves on behalf of the society that doesn't accept us. But you are never alone, and I say that I'd rather not bow to society's selfish desires, and refuse to let it break me. And I think you are strong enough to not let it break you, too. I think Eveline's advice is important too, but sometimes I just start thinking like Cave Johnson instead.

5. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I will try to write a more detailed reply later on but I just want to give a link that is a database of trans success stories:

Transsexual Women's Successes

One thing to keep in mind is that most successful trans women and men go stealth for obvious reasons which tends to distort the image of post transition success. It is very similar to how people believe that most trans women can't really pass after transitioning because they never see those that do pass because they are stealth. They often also view crossdressers as people who are trans which further distorts the image. Satistics show that around 96% or so are eventually happy that they transitioned which is a fairly powerful indication that transitioning usually ends well. (Especially considering how much many of them go through along the way.) However, it does take time to come to terms with everything and to feel confortable with your body. Even cisgirls often struggle with body issue problems and mood disorders so it is not really surprising that it takes time and isn't easy to truly accept yourself for who you are and to stop feeling as if you are wearing a mask.

#25 Eveline, Feb 5, 2016
  6. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    As far as I know, it's not exactly a cosmetic replacement, there are different techniques and most of them use your own tissue, so after all it's your very own flesh, just under a different form. In the case of transmen (and that's damned lucky) we even get to grow a part of ourselves, which is to me (and others) something that gives way more than just comfort : It is my own stuff, and my body (through the right hormones) is capable to grow it.
    I feel damned lucky, I really do, but that's just me. Others might feel that is not the real deal, but for me, for someone who has been waiting for so many years, my deal happening at last will be always the real deal... And whatever size or shape, it will be good enough for me. If a woman looks at it and doesn't accept it, that won't say anything about me or my masculinity, it will say everything about her. I'd be called a jerk if I complained about her vagina or her breasts, so why should I gladly take such a thing from her?

About women, what they call a neovagina (I'd rather call it just a vagina), is the same : It is still formed using your own tissue. Both of us won't be able to give birth or be the father of a child, unless we freeze eggs or sperm before. For some this is a problem, because they do want the whole package just like other cis women or cis men, the damned same way, and that won't happen anytime soon. To learn to live with that fact is mandatory, same as to live with the fact that we are different.

We've got what we've got, here and now, and it's on us to accept things as they are, or to refuse to accept them, give up and miss the chance of being happy, just a tiny little bit, and from time to time... You think cis people are happy all the time, you just kid yourself. Same as if you think that to transition is the key for permanent, everlasting happiness. Transition can solve many of your problems, but it won't solve them all.

What I'm trying to say is that I fully accept the limitations of surgery. I also fully accept the fact that I won't become a cis person at a genetic level (perhaps on many other levels as well). And once I keep this in mind, then I can see how a transition makes sense, and from that point I can start to take steps forwards, not backwards like I used to do before.

I hope this helps, I'm sorry you are hurting.

7. oh my god I

"trauma itself of the enforcement of the female gender role he was placed under continued to haunt him. " <--- yes, this is very damaging IMO.

Aside from that, one little thing I want to nitpick, it could be hurtful to use the term "manhood." Just wanted to point that out.

I respect trans women that fight prejudice in society. There are a lot of problems with rigid gender roles and the way society forces people into boxes. However personally, I don't have a problem with the way society sees me, at least not anymore, and I haven't struggled to be accepted or validated by anyone post-transition (except my immediate family, go figure.) In fact, I have been so readily accepted that I feel guilty for struggling with this so much. It is an internal struggle. Like, having a hidden physical defect that I quietly suffer with and it destroys my self worth. There is not really anything society could do to help me with that (I guess other than if insurance chose to pay for my SRS, which would be a huge relief, but, idk, I'm just not a political person.)

And yes, I read the story of that widowed trans woman, it was so sad ;_;

Thanks for the link. I had seen that before but forgot about it. You're right, some of those examples are encouraging!!

It's true that a lot of my problems are not about transition. Even if my body was cis but looked the same otherwise, I know I would struggle. I've been emotionally abused by men over the way my body looked in the past. Not really because of my gender but because I wasn't thin enough or not shaped the right way or whatever. I internalized a lot of that. I was hoping hormones would fix some of the issues but my hormone levels never have been right and at this point I don't know if they ever will be.

#27 oh my god I, Feb 5, 2016
  8. oh my god I

Thank you Michael, this was sweet of you. You are right. And I certainly don't mean to make it sound like it would make you less of a man, mostly what I struggle with is the fact that it is only a cosmetic result and no matter how good the surgeon, they cannot give me the ability to bear a child and I will always have the feeling that I am different. Oh well, I know there's more to life and I know there's adoption, but, so many women around me my age are having children already, and I really wish I could be a mom. I feel like I don't know where I belong in life, not being able to have a family like the women I identify with and see as my role models. For now I am a loving mom of 2 cats. lol. And I'm trying to work on myself and get more involved in my interests. We shall see where life goes. :slight_smile:

Hope you can keep taking those forward steps!!

#28 oh my god I, Feb 5, 2016
  9. oh my god I

Hi all, I just ran across an interesting study I thought was relevant to this topic and relevant to the David Reimer discussion:

Discordant Sexual Identity in Some Genetic Males with Cloacal Exstrophy Assigned to Female Sex at Birth

It followed 14 biological males with a medical disorder that caused them to need extensive surgery, and as a result they were raised and socialized as female.

Here's some quotes from it:

"Sexual identity varied among the subjects assigned to female sex. Five persistently declared unwavering female identity. One other subject refused to discuss sexual identity with anyone. Eight declared unwavering male identity: four of these subjects declared male identity spontaneously, at the ages of 7, 9, 9, and 12 years, although the parents of two persistently rejected these declarations. Four others declared male identity after their parents revealed to them that their birth status was male, at ages 5, 7, 7, and 18 years."

"The parents of all 14 subjects assigned to female sex stated that they had reared their child as a female. Twelve of these subjects have sisters: parents described equivalent child-rearing approaches and attitudes toward the subjects and their sisters. However, parents described a moderate-to-pronounced unfolding of male-typical behaviors and attitudes over time in these subjects — but not in their sisters. Parents reported that the subjects typically resisted attempts to encourage play with female-typical toys or with female playmates or to behave as parents thought typical girls might behave. These 14 subjects expressed difficulties fitting in with girls. All but one played primarily or exclusively with male-typical toys. Only one played with dolls; the others did so almost never or never. Only one ever played house. Each of the three exceptions represents a different subject. Parents noted substantial difficulty attempting to dress the subjects — but not their sisters — in clearly feminine attire after about four years of age.

"Subjects 7 and 8 have persistently and spontaneously declared their sexual identity as males since the age of nine years, before the initial assessment. They live as females because their parents have rejected their declarations. Both stated during the initial assessment that they wanted a penis. Both take exogenous estrogen and are intermittently compliant with treatment, and both state that they would prefer to receive testosterone. Both identified themselves as male and used male restrooms when they were away from their families and school."

" Subjects 9 and 10 spontaneously declared themselves male without knowledge of their birth status, at the ages of 12 and 7 years, respectively. Subjects 11, 12, 13, and 14 assumed a male identity after their parents informed them of their birth status, at ages 5, 7, 7, and 18 years, respectively. All eight living as males discussed sexual interests and activity; the four adolescents stated that they were attracted to girls. The three adolescents initially assigned to female sex take testosterone and are compliant with treatment. Because of a severely dysfunctional family, Subject 9 received no testosterone until he was incarcerated in a maximum-security prison for armed robbery at the age of 17 years, yet he dated and was sexually active with girls from the age of 15 years. Two of the three subjects over 17 years of age date girls. All eight subjects desire to undergo surgical construction of a penis.

All subjects living as female expressed difficulty fitting in with female peers (genetic females with cloacal exstrophy did not), although those converting to male sex reported few subsequent social problems with females. All 16 subjects described few difficulties fitting in with males."

"The sexual behavior and attitudes of all 16 subjects appeared to reflect strong male-typical characteristics, irrespective of whether they were raised as males or females."

What do you guys think? I felt somewhat validated by this article because I feel personally that social and role dysphoria exists and is important. I think this article also validated the existence of body or at least genital dysphoria too. So IMO it is both.