1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being ruled by my emotions

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Vikki, Apr 16, 2023.

1. Vikki

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am coming to terms with my sexuality and some days I feel confident and convinced. Then other days I am less certain.

Other things can play into the feelings of uncertainty...

Is this normal? Has any else experienced this?

I have noticed that I am accepting of things in general but as time passes.... I start to doubt myself. That unknown fear will creep in...

2. Bob J20

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You and I are alike in that respect. One day I feel confident and other days I am doubting myself. I am hoping that something will happen in my life that gives me good direction. I think joining this website may be a great start to finally understanding who I am.

3. Searching2022

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Many people here at EC are familiar with this pattern. Sometimes its described as a 'roller coaster' other times that coming out is not a straight line but a zig zag with some steps forward and back.

It's often tied into stress and anxiety levels and other things you might be experiencing. Also remember you're running over all your thoughts and assumptions about yourself and those thoughts might appear as doubts but try to see them as questions.

Also for me, fear masqueraded as doubt. I realized I didn't doubt being gay, I feared other people knowing.

I would suggest reading other people's stories here and also try journaling or writing out what you're feeling. you don't have to show anyone and you can throw it away when you're done but sometimes putting thoughts to pen and paper help.

#3 Searching2022, Apr 16, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
  4. Wanderlost

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You need this, *Hugs* I think Searching2022 is onto something. A life built around the presumption of heterosexually is not something that becomes untangled overnight, and it comes with much anxiety and fear, which can cloud true heart feelings.

5. caden0803

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’ve had to reassess my sexuality multiple times, and how I feel about it. Since I’m still in the early stages of discovering what it means to me. When I read other people’s stories on here, it seems like a very normal thing they go through too.

#5 caden0803, Apr 16, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
  6. caden0803

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In that sense, I think it provides comfort to know you're not alone.

7. Bob J20

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree, for me it is very comforting to talk about things I have no other person I can discuss things with.

8. Loves books

When I was younger I felt that way about my sexuality. Some days I was sure I was a lesbian other days I thought I might be bisexual. I did have brief thoughts I might be asexual when I got older and liked the idea of loving someone without the physical aspect. I never thought I was straight though and once I got to the age I thought about sex I got grossed out by male parts and I knew I never wanted to deal with that but female parts weren’t so bad.

9. 74andHome

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

Sounds like your own the right track to me. It takes time to sort it out. There’s so much fear and confusion. Personally i think that’s a good thing. It forces us to to find our own truth. BTW, there will be mistakes along the journey. It’s meant to happen. When we get there though, we know. I mean we know without any doubt. Then we have to figure out how to express it. It’s just life being life. That’s a simplification but so right on.

10. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me this is 100% something that happens to me. I can go weeks where I feel very confident in my identity and then I’ll have weeks like this one where I start doubting everything. I definitely don’t think it’s abnormal.

11. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Completely relate to this. Definitely feel like I’m always on a rollercoaster of feelings, thoughts, and emotions. Life is confusing and people are complex. I think you’re totally normal and self aware.

12. Milquetoast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

13. Milquetoast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The changes in your sense od security can be a matter of brain chemistry on a given day. On a day with career or friend or family achievements feel secure about yourself? A day where everything goes wrong, so goes your feelings about yourself? Exercise. Surround yourself with things that please you. Work hard in your career. Your clarity (less confusion) will follow