1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are LGBT people smarter?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by confuseduser99, May 13, 2014.

1. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Stuff like this is what makes Anti-Gay people even more enfuriated with us. Nobody is smarter because they're gay.

2. wanderinggirl

I don't know, I mean I'm really smart so like, if you extrapolate to the LGBT population yea probably we're def WAY smarter.

Science.

</sarcasm>

3. Nikky DoUrden

My notion as well, we don't waste time on mindless biggotry like some ppl (*cough* putin)

4. KazTastic

I'm sure there are plenty of LGBT people who are smart, but I don't think it's because they're LGBT. I know plenty of vapid dumbfucks who happen to be LGBT, and plenty of intelligent straight people.

5. XRay

6. kem

kem

I have a straight friend who is stellar at maths, physics and chemistry and got top grades, but he's so dense you wouldn't believe it. I guess there isn't just one kind of intelligence either.

7. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think so, I know a multitude of people, who are straight, that are plenty smart and I would consider more straight than I.

8. Kesha

Kesha Guest

Well I don't know if that's true because I'm pretty freaking dumb but when I wasn't thinking about boys,girls, and wether or not I'm trans I was good in school now I fail in math and the only class I can get an A in is English. I even flunk gym but that maybe because I have body issues.

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be clear, Haidt's work does not indicate or claim that political preferences, per se, are hardwired; what he says is that brains appear to be hardwired toward social progress/inquisitiveness/critical thinking on the one hand, and stability/certainty/consistency on the other, and that, typically, political leanings generally group along those same lines.

He's a respected researcher and has several TED talks and other writings, and I find his work fascinating. I'm not implying a direct association between intelligence and liberal thought, but there are some correlations that might also apply to LGBT populations and we know of other brain differences between LGBT people and straight people (left-handedness, for example, is a lot more prevalent in LGBT people). But these are correlations, not causations, so we don't really know for sure. I think it raises some interesting possibilities in any case.

Also, further clarification: I would never, ever say that LGBT people are smarter than straight people.

I *might* infer that in a random sampling of LGBT people vs a random sampling of straight people, you might find a higher percentage of people with unusually high intelligence in the LGBT sample, not because they are LGBT but because there might be the association with critical thinking and pattern recognitiion ability, which are typically linked with intelligence at least in IQ testing.

If, on the other hand, you were to look at a group of LGBT people, and a group of straight people whose critical thinking/brain pattern skills match those that Haidt's work associates with people who are less conservative minded, you would probably find little to no difference.

10. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm bi and think

11. wontwalkblindly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a group, no, I wouldn't say so. Of course there are certain queer people that are smarter than certain straight/cis people. But I wouldn't say that "LGBT people are smarter", no. We are a lot of the time more open about things which may give the opportunity to learn, so there is that. But, "smart" is subjective. Someone could be smart about social justice issues and be terrible at math or vice versa. I'd say that you can't look at the intelligence of a group, you would have to look the intelligence of individual people. But maybe even doing that isn't a good idea, because then you will be likely to judge them, which isn't good. I don't know man. It depends on a lot of things.

12. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. I've met numerous gay people who are as dumb as a box of rocks, and even that might be an insult to rocks. I think we're like everyone else, as far as intelligence goes.

13. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

^ Something to that notion, IMO.

14. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm as dumb as rocks.

---------- Post added 13th May 2014 at 04:25 PM ----------

So basically what husky pup said

15. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It honestly depends on the person.
    I like to think that I'm intelligent, but I'm no genius or anything.