1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone have asthma?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by choirsmash, Jul 5, 2016.

1. choirsmash

I was just diagnosed this week with asthma (I'm almost 19) and they said it was exercise induced due to my spirometry test because it was normal until I did 5 minutes of cardio (then it was severe obstruction). I forgot to mention that I have shortness of breath almost daily which I hadn't noticed as much until I was actually diagnosed. My rescue inhaler (ventolin) hasn't been working to relieve it, they prescribed me singulair the next day. I'm still having issues with shortness of breath. So I have a few questions: can I take another dose of ventolin 2 hours later (it says every 4-6 hours)? Should I let my doctor know even though it's only been a few days? I really would rather not have to take an inhaler every day, but I know it might be necessary.

I've actually been dealing with these issues for about 2 years, but it was misdiagnosed as a side effect of anxiety. I hadn't realized the extent of my daily problems until now since I'd been dealing with them for that long just by yawning a lot.

Anyway, if anyone can help guide me in this whole asthma thing that'd be cool. Thanks

2. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was in the missed diagnosed crowd for asthma too. Granted I was in second grade at the time. It was also back before people really knew what it was, so gym class at school was hell...

Don't mix your meds without talking to your doctor or pharmacist. That can go south real quick if you are not careful. I am surprised you only have a rescue inhaler and not a steroid one to go with it.

With me, it took several days before I noticed any affect with the meds they put me on. Give the Singulair a couple days to get in your system. A week at the latest. Medicine is difficult because everyone reacts to it a little differently.

An inhaler a day isn't so bad, when I started it was a nebulizer twice a day with a steroid inhaler three times a day, plus the rescue inhaler if needed. Living with asthma just takes a little getting used to. Its not the end of the world, and it is possible to grow out of it. I lived with it from third grade to the end of high school. Sixteen years after graduating, no more asthma or asthma meds.

3. BelleLey

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I have asthma too, mostly when i exercise too hard. I can't run, i don't have enough breath. Every time i have the flue it prevents me from taking deep breath. I would go easy with the inhaler, i took it once when i shouldn't have and it ended it up giving me tachycardia (elevated heart beat) and i panicked because i felt like i couldn't breathe. Talk to your doctor to be sure what to do.
    Keep also in mind than the more you think about your breathing, the harder you'll think it is to breathe. I know it's scary sometimes not being able to breathe normally but try to get your mind off of it.