1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMAB: What Will Low Dose Hormones OR Testosterone Blockers DO For Me, Exactly?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Snidi, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Snidi

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi guys. 27 year old AMAB Non-binary. Considering taking low dose hormones of some sort.

WHAT I WANT:

Slight feminization of my face- Enough for me to look more androgynous, but not enough for me to be a woman.

No more facial hair

Slightly more androgynous body overall.

WHAT I DON"T WANT:

The growth of breasts

Change of my personality (don't want to act or feel more feminine than I do now)

Any major changes to my body that would make society think I'm a trans woman instead of an androgynous male.

Any major change to my voice.

How do I achieve this???

#1 Snidi, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    MrRobinson likes this.
  2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You could use make up to a contour a feminine face.

3. newts

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could get electrolysis or laser treatment for the facial hair. Even a low dose of hormones will likely make you grow breasts over time, so if you strongly don't want that, I would advise not taking hormones. Hormones would not change your personality or voice though.
    I'm not entirely sure if it's healthy to only take testosterone blockers either. It would be better to ask a doctor about it, but I feel like it is probably better to have healthy levels of either testosterone or estrogen.

4. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Snidi, Your wish is a lot like mine. When i see amab who is a bit feminine i get this feeling inside as if my energy force surges from the equivalent of 20 miles per hour to 200 mph. I have no idea what it is that causes this. So perhaps like you i am on a quest to enhance my femininity as i am able, while at the same time i love being male. one of life's great mysteries, i suppose. i am bi with a kinsey rating of around around 4 or maybe something just above a 3.

5. Hanyauku

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Family only
    No amount of testosterone will make facial hair go away. It will thin it out and make it easier to manage, but it won't make it go away. I'm definitely not an expert, but it's my understanding that you can't just go on t blockers and not replace it with anything. Having t or estrogen is important for other functions in your body, so it needs something. Also, blocking t and going on estrogen, even a small amount, will make you irreversibly impotent, so if you ever think you'll want biological children, this is something to consider. Like newts said, it's best to ask a doctor, preferably a reproductive endocrinologist, your questions, and to come up with a plan to meet your desires while still maintaining your health. Also, from what I've heard from trans women on hrt, emotional/personality changes are one of the most profound effects of starting hormones. Whether that comes from not having t, having estrogen, or both, I'm not sure, but it's something else to consider.

#5 Hanyauku, Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018