1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I too young to come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Spirit, Jul 21, 2012.

1. adwth

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, I totally agree that age doesn't matter when you are sure.
    But yes, you are young. Maybe you're not young in mind, but in body you're still a 14 year old and people might not take you seriously.
    The most important thing you've done already, which is accepting yourself, and i'm so happy for you!
    I'm 16 now and i started to realise i was gay when i was about 12/13, and started to come out to my friends at 15.
    But, hey, you're a different person than i am, and you can do whatever you think it's right that i'm sure your parents and friends will support you.
    I wish you all the good things!

2. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I knew I was gay very young so I think it's perfectly reasonable for you to KOWN you are gay at 14.

I gree with Timo, though, that coming out to your close friends and family is VERY different from being completely out at school.

If you feel any doubt about how the general population of your school would react, I'd advise waiting. You perhaps have another 2 years at secondary school before you can leave and get yourself away from people who might like to make things difficult for you.

I had a bad time at secondary school, but I was able to escape to a 6th Form College where I was able to have a "fresh start" away from the homophobes and bullies.

I'm not saying you should be dishonest, but you have to keep yourself safe physically and emotionally. Keep it private if you have any doubts - it's really not worth the grief - you only HAVE TO be honest with yourself - you don't owe anyone else anything.

I wish you health and happiness - good luck, whatever your decision.:thumbsup:

3. King

King Guest

You aren't too young to come out, I came out for the first time when I was 14. Just be prepared to have people question it, and definitely be ready for people to say things like "Aren't you too young?"
    Which, of course, you aren't.

King x