Age gap

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by GlassWalls, Dec 9, 2017.

1. wickedwitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi GlassWalls:

Apologies if I'm repeating something already mentioned - I've only had time to read the first two posts.

I personally wouldn't turn down an age-gap relationship necessarily. I think that relationships can probably survive an age-gap but are either doomed or unhealthy if there's a significant maturity-gap and maturity isn't necessarily age-dependent.

Now, having said that, I agree with Chip that if one partner is still in their early twenties I would have concerns. My first relationship was with someone 12 years my senior...and I was 18. BAD. BAD. BAD. Predator city. (James Hillman, the Jungian analyst, has said that evil loves innocence and I was a good Catholic girl, lol) And even Dan Savage has warned people off age-gaps where one person was very young.

One of my friends has two daughters and they both married men who are significantly older. I'm tired right now so can't think of any other examples from real life but I have read that in hetero age-gaps where the woman was older the relationship tends to fizzle after about 3 years.

I think it would be extra important that you communicate well with each other and make sure both people are on the same page with regard to expectations and defining the relationship.

Cheers.

#21 wickedwitch, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    Jax12 likes this.
  2. wickedwitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi @Chip:

If you have time, can you expand on what "power dynamics" means and point me (us) in the direction of some reading material - I'm not sure I understand what that is. Thanks.

#22 wickedwitch, Dec 21, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm. I can't instantly think of any references specifically on power dynamics in relationships... I know there are some out there and lots of stuff I've read, but nothing comes immediately to mind. However, you'd probably get pretty much the same information, as the issues are nearly identical, by reading about codependency and family dynamics, because much of the issues that arise in those areas are related to power dynamics. Pia Mellody has some excellent books on the topic, and that would be a great place to start.

wickedwitch likes this.
  4. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can second this. I’m currently reading Pia Mellody’s book, Facing Codependence. I’m only up to page 50, but it has been very informative so far.

I think anyone who enters a relationship has needs or wants that were possibly not met during childhood, and so the need carries on unconsciously. With codependent people, they become too reliant on their partner, and begin to lose their sense of identity and self as an individual (or, perhaps they lost it long time ago and pursue relationships that give them a false sense of “security”). I’ve found this to be the case in age gap relationships, but also relationships in general; the codependent person seeks relationships that hope to fulfill their needs when in reality, it isn’t their partner’s responsibility to begin with.

Quite honestly, though, if people in codependent relationships knew how unhealthy it is, they wouldn’t be part of it (but then again, it’s easier for someone to provide you those needs, than to figure out how to provide those individual needs yourself).

#24 Jax12, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    wickedwitch likes this.
  5. rosemarythyme

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    An interesting thread. The passions stirred by the 'unnaturalness' of such a relationship remind me of discussions surrounding homosexuality. Or other outside of the norm relationships. Could it be some internalised 'age-gap-phobia' talking in some of the posts? 'Compulsory similar-age-normativity'? Is it ever a good idea to generalize about people and their reasons for loving someone?

wickedwitch and GlassWalls like this.
  6. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Uh, no. The study of human interaction and interpersonal power dynamics goes back probably 8+ decades. I always love it when someone drags out this tired, ignorant, and overused comparison.

I suppose it could be. But it is much more likely an understanding of what healthy, emotionally balanced and interactive power dynamics look and feel like. It is usually the age-gap apologists who are the ones with the internalized unconscious issues.
    When the generalizations are based on research, studies, and the prevailing wisdom of those who have spent their lives studying power dynamics and relationships, I think the answer is yes. Would you seriously argue that there's no problem using heroin or crystal meth because a small portion of those who do don't end up addicted? Generalizations absolutely serve a purpose, and in cases like these, they can guide those who are seeking healthy relationships.[/quote][/quote]

7. rosemarythyme

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    @Chip I'm not quite following, what do you mean about the 8+ decades? As in compared to studies of homosexuality? I was honestly not aware my comparison was tired and overused. I haven't had this discussion before.

You do sound very passionate about this subject and sorry I don't know your story if you shared it on EC - do you have a negative personal experience with large age gaps or unhealthy power dynamics in relationships? I hope this question doesn't sound hostile, just trying to understand where you're coming from and why this is so important to you.

8. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Homosexuality was only meaningfully studied starting in the 1940s with Kinsey's work, and then there was a fairly long gap until the 1960s, when Masters and Johnson and other researchers started looking at that. It was only a few years after that -- 1973, I think -- when the APA removed homosexuality as a disorder.

In contrast to that, the study of relationships and all of the interpersonal communication, power dynamics, and other issues dates back to the beginning of the field of psychology, before the beginning of the 20th century. More recently, there are many researchers and clinicians that have done extensive studies of relationships and how imbalances such as age impact the balance and emotional health and stability of the relationship. So none of this is remotely new in any way, nor is there much in the way of controversy (as there was with homosexuality, mostly due to religious backlash) on the impact of imbalances in power dynamics.

People *always* pull out the "Well, homosexuality wasn't accepted for decades" argument when trying to argue that some other thing will be accepted in the future, but it's bullshit because, as stated above, it was really only studied for a short time before acceptance came about, and, additionally, nearly every other issue that some people claim controversy about relating to relationships or sexuality was also being studied around the same time, in literally thousands of studies worldwide.

As with everything I'm passionate about here, it's about helping to ensure that the tens of thousands of people who read EC each week -- about 9 out of 10 of whom aren't members -- get accurate information.

No, I do not, and even if I did, one of the most annoying issues when it comes to discussing topics like this is when people apply their own personal experience and attempt to generalize it or justify it as a norm or standard or proof-of-claim to a population on the whole. That's a really godawful way of providing accurate information; instead it makes a lot more sense to look at research, prevailing thinking among those who work with these populations day in and day out, and (a distant third, since it is a non-representative sample that would not necessarily generalize) the collective experience of the people on EC. However, if one chooses to use the third method, there are many, many reports on EC of people who eventually figured out why age gap relationships rarely work (again, qualified as relationships where the younger person is under 27 or so), and very, very few where the relationships actually do work, have worked for a significant period, and don't show signs of major unhealthy behaviors or interpersonal transaction patterns.

9. GlassWalls

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For anyone interested in reading about research done on age gaps I have found this helpful article:
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...hen-it-comes-dating-do-age-differences-matter

Keep in mind that many psychological studies are done on heterosexual couples and more research needs to be done with more diverse populations (in all areas of psychology, actually, not just on this topic. Fun fact about psychology: most studies are done on white males, and only more recent studies have been more inclusive).

10. rosemarythyme

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    @Chip thank you for explaining at length. I think I understand your point of view.

Given the power dynamic in large age gap relationships that you talk about, would it be possible to find something in common with sub-dom relationships? What is the research conclusion on those?

11. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then in terms of factual information, what is considered an “age gap”? 20+ years? 10+ years? As far as I know, age gaps also matter less as both individuals are older, but even so the age gap still plays a factor in successful relationships.

12. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting study, but near worthless in terms of looking at the actual health and dynamics of age-gap relationships, because it is only dealing with blind dates. Whatever problems and power dynamics are present are unlikely to show up after a single blind date. Additionally, since the dates are blinded, they aren't natural indicators of what draws people to them, potentially confounding one of the most common issues that come up in age-gap relationships, which is the codependency piece.

#32 Chip, Dec 26, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  13. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't seen much research on sub-dom relationships. If we look at them from the perspective of current thinking on what defines "abnormal" (in terms of abnormal psychology), then one can argue that people who willingly go into these relationships and stay in them and appear to be happy and functional are not, in terms of abnormal psychology, experiencing an abnormal relationship.

That said, I would suspect that the majority of these relationships are equally unhealthy because of the power dynamics going on, and I would expect to see poor self-esteem and a lack of self-efficacy in the submissives in these relationships. In my very limited exposure to people in these relationships, that hypothesis appears to be an accurate one, but I wouldn't attempt to generalize it without a much larger and more formal study or data set to look at.

I want to be clear that I believe it is possible for a sub-dom relationship to be healthy, but I would suspect this is the rare exception rather than the rule.

14. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know, there's no absolute answer to that, in part because I don't think anyone has really done the sort of exhaustive research that would help determine that. The consensus from the professionals I've spoken to is that the age gap issue becomes less problematic as the younger person reaches a state of self-efficacy that typically occurs in one's late 20s... they are typically out of school, started on some sort of career, have been living on their own for some period, and generally functioning as an autonomous adult.

So for shorthand, we could say that after, say, 27 or 28, the gap in age tends to be less problematic because many of the power dynamics that would be present for someone younger than that will have gone away. Of course, there will be exceptions... the person that left home at 16 and has been functionally an adult since late teens, or the person with extremely poor self-esteem at 30, and perhaps still lives with parents and doesn't have a job or career.

So age isn't an absolute, but generally speaking, there are typical growth attributes that tend to come with age that allow us to make assumptions that turn out to be pretty accurate most of the time about how likely it is that a given age gap relationship will last and be healthy. (There are many that last but are incredibly unhealthy, and I don't consider those "successes.")

WIth all of that said, I think for someone under 27 or so, a gap of more than 3-4 years is likely to be problematic. If the person is under 21, the acceptable gap is probably even smaller, maybe 2 years. For someone over 27 or so, then the gap is less problematic and 10 years might not make a difference. I think in almost any case, a gap of 20 years is going to have issues, if not with power dynamics than with stage-of-life issues and things like long-term health concerns.

Jax12 likes this.
  15. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What is your take then, for someone who is in a relationship that is 5 years apart (for example)? By your numbers, it just passes the boundary of what is considered as healthy. I would like to think that this age difference is certainly not as significant as 15+ years, but then again, it also depends on how old both people are at the time of getting together.

#35 Jax12, Dec 26, 2017
  16. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It all depends on the age of the younger person. If the younger person is, say 25 or 27, then the age gap starts to be less of an issue. If they are under 25, it's much more likely to be a problem because there are so many "stage of life" changes between, say, 18 and 25.

Jax12 likes this.
  17. GlassWalls

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Here is an interesting study on BDSM and an analysis of the study: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/unique-everybody-else/201307/bdsm-personality-and-mental-health

This is a slightly more recent article on BDSM: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...chology/201502/the-surprising-psychology-bdsm

18. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This was an interesting read. The problem with the Psychology Today stuff is that it's somebody's interpretation of the actual studies, which may or may not be accurate. One needs to actually go to the cited articles (fortunately they are cited at the bottom) to get a good understanding of what's really being said; pop magazines are notorious for selectively highlighting or taking study material completely out of context. In fact, there are several places where the article's author makes some rather unsupported leaps of conjecture (for example, the idea that "humility" and "humiliation" are related; I've seen no research or writing that remotely supports this idea).

One phrase that caught my attention in the Psychology Today article:
    So this would tend to support the idea that the subs may, in fact, have self-esteem or other issues.

Additionally, the major study cited (the telephone study) had a number of methodological issues; for one, it didn't differentiate between doms and subs, and other data indicates that, to the extent there are issues with self-conscious affect (self-esteem, shame, etc) they are more likely among subs. This is a pretty serious problem with that study. Another cited study showed little difference between the controls (the non-BDSM people) and the evaluated subjects.

This is one of the major problems with a lot of the research (of all types, but especially in psychology). Methodology is often flawed, there is often a lot of sloppiness in identifying the evaluated groups, which means the sample populations don't generalize to the overall population.

The second article was actually pulling from many of the same primary sources as the first; one thing that caught my eye was the comment that those who participate were shown to have higher levels of dissociation. This is essentially referring to "numbing out" and often points to some sort of traumatic history in the individual (though for some reason the article neglected to mention that.)

This isn't to say that the articles are pointless; the authors make some interesting points, and on the whole, I will absolutely agree that individuals who participate in BDSM aren't inherently suffering from any form of personality disorder. But the article really says almost nothing (nor do the source journal articles I looked at) about the power dynamics between doms and subs, which was the primary point of the discussion here.

#38 Chip, Dec 26, 2017
  19. wickedwitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi @Chip:

Thanks for this - I was thinking that I probably knew what you were talking about but wasn't familiar with the phrase "power dynamics". Codependency is something I know. (Alas) :slight_smile:

20. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, I think age gaps are only problematic because the brain stops developing at age 25. There is no other reason other than developed brain maturity.

Life happens differently for everyone. There are very gifted teenagers who get to start college at 15, graduate at 18 and are already extremely self sufficient early on. There are people without college degrees or careers past 25, and it's not always because they're lazy. Mental illness and heavy student loans can set people back.

At the same time, I personally feel that a 28 year old college freshman still has power imbalance over an 18 year old college freshman. It's because of the brain. Maturity levels and goals are so different even if they are at the same place in life. It's the same for anything else...I don't see an older virgin dating a non-virgin of the same age as unhealthy, and I don't think someone who came out early has more power over someone twice their age who never came out.

But this is also how I grew up. My Mom is 50....she has never had a degree, never traveled, or never had a real career outside of retail, but I never felt like my Dad took advantage of her because of her age (and I would feel like he took advantage of a 20 year old who had a real career and degree, just because of the actual age involved). Technically now, my Mom has the power imbalance over my Dad because he became physically disabled and now she has to care for him as if he were a baby. This is after 23+ years of marriage. Power imbalances can never be avoided, two people will never have the same exact life experience, but I feel as long as both parties have completely developed brains (25+) then the experience difference shouldn't matter.

#40 Creativemind, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018