1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice for coming out to my non-homophobic family? (kinda want to come out, kinda don't)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lavendersunset, Nov 2, 2023.

1. lavendersunset

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I want to come out to my immediate family, but I also really don’t.

I’ve basically known that I wasn’t heterosexual since I was 11 - at least, that’s when I started questioning things - and ever since, discussing sexuality, relationships, boys, LGBT topics, has been relatively uncomfortable for me. By now, I’m definitely past the age where I can say, “Ew, boys!” without assumptions being made.

I’m bisexual, and I’ve never been in a relationship. The idea of having a boyfriend kind of instinctually repulses/irritates me, so I think that would be more unlikely in the future, but it could happen, as I am attracted to men physically speaking.

I have a mother and father and an older brother. None of them are homophobic, and my mother always says that she’ll love me no matter what. In fact, she has straight up asked me whether I “batted for the other team” before. Of course, that was the most terrifying experience of my life, and I said “no” immediately. This has happened a couple of times, and with people other than my mother. I’m not sure exactly how others perceive me, but I think some things about me hint that I’m not heterosexual.

Also, I’m pretty sure my mom saw my copy of “Lesbian Ethics” by Saria Lucia Hoagland on my bookshelf (a lucky find from a little free library). In any case, with my mom, I’m pretty sure she’s just waiting for me to come out. At my ripe age, having never had a boyfriend and never told her about any crushes on males, I think I’m giving a lot of indications I’m not straight to her.

There’s also the fact that I read a lot of feminist theory, have short hair, dress like a tomboy, etc. All the stereotypes. There really aren’t that many barriers stopping me from coming out to her. Except, the things stopping me are pretty strong.

First of all, there’s just terror. Cowardice. I know she won’t react badly, but I’m nervous she’ll make weird assumptions or be uncomfortable around me. Also, if I come out (to anyone), then that’ll put a timeline on things. It’ll mean that I’ll eventually have to come out to my grandparents and other relatives and family friends. I doubt my parents would out me, but they might slip, too. And right now, it’s kind of like my secret. I hate the hiding, the edging around conversation topics, the fibbing about what books I’m reading, but at the same time, it’s grown comforting, and I don’t want to leave the bubble.

Those are my reservations with my mom. Not too many, actually, and I know I have a very great situation in comparison to most people.

With my father - honestly, I’m not certain whether he’s noticed anything. He’s never made any oblique remarks like my mom, and he hasn’t seen any of the books I’m reading (like my Lillian Faderman books). When I was younger, he sometimes said some stereotypical dad stuff, like about having to beat away boys with sticks, but ever since I actually realized I’m bisexual, there’s been nothing. He’s intelligent, and he’s probably seeing the same hints as my mom, but he’s coming from a very different perspective, as a man, so it’s possible he’s just too ignorant to see that, generally speaking, girls who like boys don’t behave like this.

I don’t know, though. Anyway, my reservations are about the same, except there are a couple other factors.
    With my father - honestly, I’m not certain whether he’s noticed anything. He’s never made any oblique remarks like my mom, and he hasn’t seen any of the books I’m reading (like my Lillian Faderman books). When I was younger, he sometimes said some stereotypical dad stuff, like about having to beat away boys with sticks, but ever since I actually realized I’m bisexual, there’s been nothing. He’s intelligent, and he’s probably seeing the same hints as my mom, but he’s coming from a very different perspective, as a man, so it’s possible he’s just too ignorant to see that, generally speaking, girls who like boys don’t behave like this.

I don’t know, though. Anyway, my reservations are about the same, except there are a couple other factors. One of the things stopping me is...embarrassingly, spite. He's not homophobic, as I said, but he's definitely rooted in that privileged, well-educated, classically handsome, heterosexual white male from a middle class family, perspective. Like, sometimes he'll ignorantly say something that is offensive. Lol, he didn't know that nowadays, it's not okay to call lesbians “dykes”, unless you're a lesbian. Also, he's kind of spiritual, and it's very obvious that he thinks that only heterosexual couplings are normal, and homosexual ones are abnormalities. (The whole “yin and yang” shebang.) If I dated a woman, broke up with her, then dated a man, he would be very happy and relieved, and he would believe that I had finally found “healthy masculine energy and integrated my animus” or something. It's very irritating to think about. I think he believes a lesbian relationship isn't as real or healthy as a heterosexual one. So, in a way, keeping it from him is kind of like a “fuck you”. I love him, of course, and he's otherwise a great father, and it's not like he's actually homophobic – my parents have a couple lesbian friends (not super close, more the “we'll occasionally have tea together” kind of friends), though they're more my mom's friends than his – but he definitely has subtle prejudices. If I came out to him, I can see him accepting it, but also being very relieved I'm bisexual, not lesbian. I think if I came out as lesbian, he might expect it to be a phase.

Yes, it's definitely much more loaded with him than my mom.

There's my brother, finally. He's kind of similar to my dad, in certain ways better, in others worse. He's not homophobic...kind of. He thinks employers should be able to discriminate when hiring based on sexuality. (Like, he thinks employers should be able to refuse to hire flamboyant gay men, even if they're otherwise completely qualified, simply because they don't want that kind of person representing their company.) He uses “gay” as an insult, and one time, when I got a new pair of overalls, he said I looked like a lesbian now, and asked me whether I would be too shy to reject the advances of all the “fat, ugly lesbians”.

Okay, that sounds really bad, lmao. In general, though, his slight homophobia translates more into making crass, offensive jokes than into anything else. He has a bisexual friend, and I do think if I actually came out to him, he'd just be like, “Ohhhhh, yeah, that makes sense. Okay, whatever.” He'd probably start making even more offensive jokes, and also asking odd questions, but, to be honest, the level of antipathy I feel about coming out to him is less than I feel about my father.

Anyway! That's basically the rundown. At this point, it's been long enough that I'm pretty carefree/lax about hiding it. Like, my Lillian Faderman books are kept in the bookshelf under my desk, spines facing outward, rather than in the crack between my bed and the wall. I regularly check out nonfiction books from the library with “lesbian” in the title. Of course, I hide things when I have to, and deny a lot, but the terror and anxiety from when I was younger are (mostly) gone. I kind of want things to be out in the open – just to get things over with. But a bigger part of me wants to keep the status quo. But I do want to WANT to come out, you know? Just, I feel that it would be easier to wait until I actually date a woman, and then there'd be a lot more legitimacy to what I say. Urghh.

Any advice, comments, questions?

2. lavendersunset

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Shoot, I added some more details but copied and pasted the earlier version for some reason. This is obnoxious. Okay, here's the updated version.

I want to come out to my immediate family, but I also really don’t.

I’ve basically known that I wasn’t heterosexual for six years - at least, that’s when I started questioning things - and ever since, discussing sexuality, relationships, boys, LGBT topics, with my family has been relatively uncomfortable for me. By now, I’m definitely past the age where I can say, “Ew, boys!” without assumptions being made. And I do say “Ew, boys”.

Basic facts: I’m bisexual, and I’ve never been in a relationship. The idea of having a boyfriend kind of instinctually repulses/irritates me, so I think that would be more unlikely in the future, but it could happen. I have a mother and father and an older brother. None of them are homophobic, and my mother always says that she’ll love me no matter what. When talking about a future partner for me, she uses gender neutral terms. In fact, she has straight up asked me whether I “batted for the other team” before. Of course, that was the most terrifying experience of my life, and I said “no” immediately. This has happened a couple of times, and with people other than my mother. I’m not sure exactly how others perceive me, but I think some things about me hint that I’m not heterosexual.

Also, I’m pretty sure my mom saw my copy of “Lesbian Ethics” by Saria Lucia Hoagland on my bookshelf (a lucky find from a little free library). In any case, with my mom, I’m pretty sure she’s just waiting for me to come out. At my ripe age, having never had a boyfriend and never told her about any crushes on males, I think I’m giving her a lot of indications I’m not straight.

There’s also the fact that I read a lot of feminist theory, have short hair, mainly dress like a tomboy (wearing my older brother's old clothes), etc. All the stereotypes. There really aren’t that many barriers stopping me from coming out to her. Except, the things stopping me are pretty strong.

First of all, there’s just terror. Cowardice. I know she won’t react badly, but I’m nervous she’ll make weird assumptions or be uncomfortable around me, be less willing to hug me or something. Also, if I come out (to anyone), then that’ll put a timeline on things. It’ll mean that I’ll eventually have to come out to my grandparents and other relatives and family friends. I hate the idea. I doubt my parents would out me, but they might slip, too. And right now, it’s kind of like my secret. I hate the hiding, the edging around conversation topics, the fibbing about what books I’m reading, but at the same time, it’s grown comforting, and I don’t want to leave the bubble.

Those are my reservations with my mom. Not too many, actually, and I know I have a very great situation in comparison to most people.

I don’t know, though. Anyway, my reservations are about the same, except there are a couple other factors. One of the things stopping me is...embarrassingly, spite. He's not homophobic, as I said, but he's definitely rooted in that privileged, well-educated, classically handsome, heterosexual white male from a middle class family, perspective. Like, sometimes he'll ignorantly say something that is offensive. Lol, he didn't know that nowadays, it's not okay to call lesbians “dykes”, unless you're a lesbian. Also, he's kind of spiritual, and it's very obvious that he thinks that only heterosexual couplings are normal, and homosexual ones are abnormalities. (The whole “yin and yang” shebang.) If I dated a woman, broke up with her, then dated a man, he would be very happy and relieved, and he would believe that I had finally found “healthy masculine energy and integrated my animus” or something. It's very irritating to think about. I think he believes a lesbian relationship isn't as real or healthy as a heterosexual one. So, in a way, keeping it from him is kind of like a “fuck you”. I love him, of course, and he's otherwise a great father, and it's not like he's actually homophobic – my parents have a couple lesbian friends (not super close, more the “we'll occasionally have tea together” kind of friends), though they're more my mom's friends than his – but he definitely has subtle prejudices. If I came out to him, I can see him accepting it, but also being very relieved I'm bisexual, not lesbian. I think if I came out as lesbian, he might expect it to be a phase.

Yes, it's definitely much more loaded with him than my mom.

There's my brother, finally. He's kind of similar to my dad, in certain ways better, in others worse. He's not homophobic...kind of. He thinks employers should be able to discriminate when hiring based on sexuality. (Like, he thinks employers should be able to refuse to hire flamboyant gay men, even if they're otherwise completely qualified, simply because they don't want that kind of person representing their company.) He uses “gay” as an insult, and one time, when I got a new pair of overalls, he said I looked like a lesbian now, and asked me whether I would be too shy to reject the advances of all the “fat, ugly lesbians”.

Okay, that sounds really bad, lmao. In general, though, his slight homophobia translates more into making crass, offensive jokes than into anything else. He has a bisexual friend, and I do think if I actually came out to him, he'd just be like, “Ohhhhh, yeah, that makes sense. Okay, whatever.” He'd probably start making even more offensive jokes, and also asking odd questions, but, to be honest, the level of antipathy I feel about coming out to him is less than I feel about my father.

Anyway! That's basically the rundown. At this point, it's been long enough that I'm pretty carefree/lax about hiding it. Like, my Lillian Faderman books are kept in the bookshelf under my desk, spines facing outward, rather than in the crack between my bed and the wall. I regularly check out nonfiction books from the library with “lesbian” in the title. Of course, I hide things when I have to, and deny a lot, but the terror and anxiety from when I was younger are (mostly) gone. I kind of want things to be out in the open – just to get things over with. But a bigger part of me wants to keep the status quo. But I do want to WANT to come out, you know? Just, I feel that it would be easier to wait until I actually date a woman, and then there'd be a lot more legitimacy to what I say. Urghh.

Any advice, comments, questions?

3. Chillton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're comfortable in your own bubble for now then that's fine. There is no pressure to come out or stay in the closet. It's all on your own time table. You're the one in charge and no one can dictate that for you, whether they're super supportive like your mom or pessimistic like your dad. It's not their place to decide when you're ready. The only timeline set in motion is by you at your own pace. You can also just come out to certain people or friends instead of everyone all at once. Maybe you can tell your mom on the down low and she can micro manage rumors in the family for you and have your back. Or just tell a couple friends and choose to tell someone else when you feel the time is right

If anyone is crass with me I just tell them " if you don't want anybody rooting around in your business then stop rooting around in mine, or focus on living your own life and stop living vicariously through mine," Or I immediately drop everything and start to tell them how I think they should run their lives. When they get pissed or upset then I tell them," sure - now stop telling me how to live my life too." Of course the best option is just to walk away and ignore those people and let them think about their own actions.

Again I stress the point, you're not obligated to come out to anybody. It's your business. If your grandparents or family-friends get upset for whatever reason about being the last people to know about your sexuality, then say," my dating life is no ones concern but mine, and I am not obligated to broadcast my sexuality to anyone like a Christmas card."

4. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lavendersunset.....Coming out can be wonderful and terrible. Occasionally at the same time! You don't seem to want to come out right away...but it's definitely on your mind. When you do, you might want to consider using a letter. In your situation it may be a plus when you decide to tell your parents and your brother. An advantage to a letter is that you don't have to be present when the letter is read. That can be a very big help as it eliminates the potential face-to-face confrontation that can sometimes be difficult. Coming out in writing means you will not be interrupted or face a barrage of questions that you need to answer immediately, in the heat of the moment. You get time and they get time too and that counts for a lot. It gives the people reading the letter some time to think before they talk to you. After all, you've had time to think about your sexuality, perhaps for years…giving them at least some time to think about it too only seems fair! There are some great sample coming out letters here on Empty Closets that could be a big help to you. You can edit the letter(s) to fit your situation. Even if you don't eventually use the letter, taking time to think about it and to write one will help you to be sure to say what you need to say and leave out the rest! You can then use the letter as a "script" for when you do come out face-to-face. Check out the letters (see below)...they could be a real help!
    *****Also...when you do come out, whether it's tomorrow or a year from now, your parents, brother and/or friends will probably have questions. Take some time now to think about what those questions might be. Such as; "How do you know you're bi?" or "How long have you felt this way?" etc. The questions themselves will vary a great deal depending upon your family and friends...so take that into consideration. If you work up a list of five or six probable questions with the answers already planned, you will likely be perceived as a more mature, serious person.

*****COMING OUT LETTERS: http://emptyclosets.com/home/pages/resources/coming-out-letters.php

*****Remember...you are a part of our LGBTQ Family and we do care! Keep us updated on how things are going for you!

.....David :gay_pride_flag:

5. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I totally get it. I don’t think your family have to be homophobic in order for you to have apprehension and fear. My family are supportive but it didn’t stop me being totally terrified about coming out to them. So I totally understand all of your fears about things changing etc. I think when you are in your safe bubble and that feels comfortable, changing that and coming out to someone, regardless of who they are and how LGBT supportive they are it can still feel like you are stepping beyond the point of no return and that is scary.

Of course I cannot tell you that you should or you shouldn’t, there are pros and cons to a degree with both but I do really think you will know when the time is right. That probably sounds like a ridiculous statement. When I first joined EC and came to terms with my sexuality I used to see people say it on EC all of the time and I used to think they were crazy. Honestly I thought I would never be ready to come out. Over time it was like a set of old fashioned scales, on one side was my desire to come out and on the other was my fear of coming out. To begin with the fear was so heavy it didn’t make the desire to come out move at all, but gradually over time my desire to come out grew bigger and heavier and eventually the scales balanced and then tipped in favour of coming out.

I’m not sure my post has been at all helpful but I do sympathise. I also agree with your thoughts in that whilst your father and brother have perhaps more negative aspects towards telling them I do think they ultimately will be supportive. There is probably a part of your father which would be happier if you were with a man I mean I don’t think there are many parents who have aspirations on their child being gay or trans or in a same sex relationship but I also think that once they see the scenario in real life and that it makes you happy then I think they do over time become completely supportive in it. I hope that makes sense.

quebec and Chillton like this.
  6. Red1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, apart from a few gay friends male and female I haven't come out nor does it bother me. I don't see why it should be an necessity. But as I sometimes say to my partner, I'm gay in the bedroom and straight in public !!

JT1999 likes this.