1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8: The Mormon Proposition...Wow...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Revan, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I should also mention that I did rent it on iTunes and had watched most of it excluding like 10 minutes at the end. By the time I went to go finish it, my rental had finished so I had watched it on Megavideo for the last ten minutes. I know it's still stealing Chip, but like I said, I already paid $5 for it as it is. I wasn't paying another $5 for 10 minutes of the movie.

2. ArcaneVerse

I wasn't just talking about money, I have the money to buy this film but I cant just go out and buy it, I don't own a credit card and I'm not about to ask my Mormon parents for theirs to buy a movie bad mouthing their own church and also im not out to my parents for the most part, so buying a pro gay anti Mormon DVD on their card isnt something i can do.

other people may be in similar situations.

Well if i wasnt ever going to pay for this "film, CD, book etc" in the first place then how are they loosing money?

Most independent artists are never going to be rolling in money because they are independent and the only real exception are those with money who then decide to go independent.Stopping piracy isn't going to start getting them noticeable amounts of money because as independent artists they are usually unknown and get lost in the sea of the many popular artists.

In fact most of the indie artists money would be coming from hardcore fans that would rather pay for, say the artists new CD than download it because they want to support their band and will prefer to buy straight from the artist if possible so more money is going straight to the artists. In fact i would argue that downloading music may actually make artists more money because their work is getting out there and seen\heard and making them new fans who will after, say downloading and listening to a bands cd, decide to buy that CD and then future CDS to come.

I download music and tv shows but dont usually download movies(the only movies i have downloaded are gay themed that i couldnt buy for obvious reasons) and for most of the shows i download i buy the boxsets for, the only ones i dont have either arent out yet or arent being sold in australia. I do admit that i dont buy enough music but i do try to buy the music i can, with one of my fav bands Blue October i originally downloaded 4 of their albums and then decided to buy all 5 albums, 1 vinyl version of a cd i was already gettin, 1 live album + DVD, a t shirt and buttons plus 2 of those cds were special edition ones which where more expensive and i got all that off of their website which i would never have got if i didnt download their music in the first place as the band wasnt getting air time here or being stocked in stores.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my opinion, if you've licensed the right to view the film, you've licensed the right to view it. Watching the last 10 minutes on a different media, in my own opinion, isn't a big deal because the copyright owner got paid, and you paid for the right to see the whole film. So I see no problem with this sort of scenario.

OK, but none of that gives you the right to steal. You can make exactly the same argument about stealing a DVD in a store, sneaking into a movie you didn't pay for, or any other theft of service. If you really wanted to see it and didn't have easy access to steal it, you could find a way... there are Visa gift cards you can buy with cash, Amazon and iTunes both take bank debit and Paypal, and there are numerous other solutions. But of course... it's easier to rationalize why it's OK to steal than to find a way to do it legitimately. That's all i'm saying.

4. ArcaneVerse

Actually most of those options are not available to me still with maybe the exception of paypal and i didnt know amazon accepted paypal.

And you can easily justify borrowing a friends dvd\cd\book but hey thats not illegal is it? or least not seen to be as evil as downloading. what about recording tv? or the radio? I mean you cant tell me you havent done any of those things can you?

Actually i dont feel the need to rationalise "stealing" this movie to myself but i do have a legitimate argument for doing so.

Anyway I will buy this movie when it is available for me do to so and i will be buying a hard copy which is considerably more money than to rent it.

and no counter argument for the other half of my earlier post?

5. I haven't seen this yet but I think I probably should. I'm LDS and I think especially with all the prop 8 stuff that happened it gave the religion a bad reputation. I think standing up for marriage between one man and one woman though should at least cut back on the polygamy jokes. I remember after prop 8 passed our lesson on Sunday was how to respond to friends and co-workers asking us about it. I think we all came up with the answer that the religion does not force it's members into certain political choices. Individual people make up all the religions and it's safe to say not everyone fits a stereotype. As far as I understand it was individuals (many individuals) who happened to be a part of the religion who helped organize things and donated a lot of money. It's difficult for me to really respond to anything since I haven't yet seen the film though so I'm going to do that some times soon and then maybe say what I thought about it.

6. djt820

Just found a working link. I didn't like it. Good thing I didn't waste my money.

Also, pic related:
    [​IMG]

#26 djt820, Jul 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    -_- Tell me about it. Why didn't you like it though? I loved it...

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Indeed, and I take full responsibility. My apologies.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussions.

9. ArcaneVerse

Hii, I was raised Mormon (im not anymore though) and a lot of my family and friends are Mormon so I was hoping that the documentary was handled in a civilised matter and in my opinion it was. While I am far from being a supporter of the church, its beliefs and a big portion of its members, I didnt want this film to come off as tactless and hateful because peoples own religion, beliefs and opinions should be shown at least some bit of respect and because being anything but civil wouldnt help our cause.

Although I still think most practising Mormons would have a different view on this film then I did but I have come to learn that most, not all, religious people don't want to see anything but what they are taught in church or by their church and the Mormons are usually more blinded by faith then others.

Anyway I strongly suggest you watch this movie because I think you will be quite shocked about what you will learn from it.

And the LDS church didn't really need Prop 8 to give it a bad name it was achieving this quite well beforehand and Polygamy jokes will never end lol.

10. Zach1992

Just going to throw this out there. All the creators of the film were raised Mormon so they've lived it.