1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7 year old son told me he likes boys

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Shana, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for being such a great mother. You are making the world a better place.

2. MisterTinkles

Kids that young have different views on what the term "like" means, and it usually has nothing to do with sex or love.

He is also of the age where he is pretty much going to "like" most everything, except what other school kids consider "icky" or "gross".

Just because he "likes" boys, doesn't mean he is sexually attracted to them. More than likely he just means he prefers to be around other boys, than girls.

Way too many people take what kids say as absolutely, stone cold fact, when what they say and what they actually mean, have very little to do with each other.

All you can do is answer questions to the best of your ability. I wouldn't take too much of what he says he "likes" seriously, as his "likes" will change with the ever changing attitudes of boys, girls, school, and the wind.

When my sister was around that age, she loved going barefoot, hated shoes. She loved digging up and playing with bugs and worms. She love fishing. She loved jeans and tshirts.
    She loved to do all the things that boys were supposed to be doing, not cute little blond girls.

People gave her "the look" and always commented about how "odd" that was for a little girl to be doing "those things".

She wasn't interested in girls, she didn't want a sex change, she had no interest in girly things, only because she was curious about everything. Did that make her a lesbian? No.

Just because a boy plays with Barbie, doesn't make him gay.

Just because a girl plays with bugs and worms doesn't make her a lesbian.

Just because a little kid says he "likes" something that is going to make people ask questions about, does not make him serious about what he says.

They are kids, they dont mean half the stuff they say, much less understand half the stuff they say to people.

Next time he says something that makes you raise your eyebrows, ask him what he means by that. Most of the time it isn't even what you think it is.

#22 MisterTinkles, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  3. indiqo

I agree with neutrality on relationships. I think this is such an important thing for every single child whether they express their own attractions or not.

I think you should perhaps research non-heterosexual orientation and common feelings children/teenagers/adults experience when they are part of this minority group and the challenges different people experience in their lives. you will gather information how to help your son cope with how his orientation may effect him growing up, should it become apparent he identifies as non-heterosexual. if he talks more about any feelings he may have in future you will be prepared and understanding.