Crisis time - thoughts on coming out

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by tearingtherose, Mar 9, 2024.

1. tearingtherose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The last few weeks have safely been the most hectic and chaotic weeks of my life, and I suspect it's only getting started. It's been so draining I've been offline, dealing with the drama, trying to stay on top of my work, look after kids and not breakdown.

A quick recap of my circumstances. I've been married for 22 years and have several children. My wife is the only woman I've ever been with, and I had been with men before her. I have always been afraid of coming out and I did what I thought was expected of me, get married to the opposite sex and have children.

The marriage was not a happy one. She exerted a lot of coercive control and her demonstrations of affection quickly dwindled over the first few year, especially after the first child was born. Proof of her complete lack of affection appeared when there were no visits to the hospital when I spent two weeks fighting a life threatening infection. I have come to realise she only wanted me for the money and as a means to motherhood, or when I'm in cruder mood, my wallet and my penis.

In the summer last year, she was taken into hospital and diagnosed with a terminal illness. We were told that she would remain in care as it was unsuitable for her to return home. As you can imagine, the fall out, on the children in particular, has been huge. It's not been an easy time, but in this time I have finally accepted my homosexuality and realised just how abusive the marriage was.

I have yet to come out to anyone saving one close friend. While I'm no longer in denial of my sexuality and not terrified of being outted, I've felt that coming out at this time would do more harm to the children as they'd likely view it as a betrayal of her.

OK, present day and what happens next isn't the expected "I've been outted". It's far more dramatic and serious. Out of the blue, my wife showed up on my doorstep with her things. Most of the local medical and other professionals involved with my family are as surprised as I am, and many, me especially, but notably not my mother-in-law (MIL), think there's been a major failing in her care.

I have pretty open about this with the professionals that have visited as I am genuinely concerned she is going to come to harm, physically or psychiatrically. I think this is likely what led to her moving into her mother's last weekend and announcing midweek, through her mother, that she had left me and, once they move to a larger place, will be taking the children.

When I was told this, there were two statements that the MIL claimed a social worker made, and one a doctor is supposed to have said, that, by way of an appeal to authority, claim she is fit to look after them and that it wasn't appropriate for a man to raise so many children. I also have against me the long standing legal view that children are better off with, and by default, go to the mother. I strongly believe that her and her mother raising the children would be a disaster.

I have spoken with the professionals that are supposed to have made these statements and been assured that these are statements they would not, and could not, make. As I suspected, I'm being manipulated once again for their means. I fear my wife is also being manipulated, but that's less a concern to me than the welfare of the children.

Every service, close friend, help line and even the children's schools, have all told me to get the lawyers in for my sake and the children's. I'm waiting to be called by a lawyer early next week.

Now the crux of my crisis. There is a major fact I've omitted in this tale of woe so far. I confessed to my then girlfriend 26 years ago that I had been with men before her. She was so horrified that she demanded I ask her to marry her to prove I loved her or she'd tell everyone that I was gay. That fact is the biggest piece that has kept me with her for so long. I fully expect she told her mother years ago, and I anticipate that it'll be brought out as a reason I'm an unsuitable parent once the custody battle begins in earnest.

One anonymous service said "it'll only add homophobia to the list of reasons they're not suitable." Comforting, and indeed the secret, and it's long use against me, are all great evidence of her abuse. But if this is revealed, it will be a surprise to my family.

I'm of two minds right now. One is that I should continue to keep the secret in the hope it stays as such and leave it until my own time and terms to come out
    I think I'd tell the lawyer in confidence just in case it emerged, and own it if it does. The other is that I should come out to my parents, brother, and possibly the older children, both so that they can digest it in case it does emerge in proceeding, and also potentially allow it be used in the case against the women.

I know of no better place than here to ask for thoughts and advice on how I proceed. In my gut I think I know what I need to do, and I suspect it's also how the responses will go. I think I'm simply looking for encouragement and validation of that gut feeling.

2. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sheesh, and I thought I was going through it. How likely is them bringing your sexuality up to happen? I definitely think a lawyer is the right move at the minimum- a great custody/divorce attorney would do you good.

Ipswichfan likes this.
  3. tearingtherose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's definitely the big unknown. I am surprised they haven't already, and maybe they realise how damning it would be for them if they were to reveal it, however dressed in lies it might be when told.

Equally, I suspect that once the gloves are off and the lawyers are involved, all bets will be off. She's left me, her abuse to me and the children without the marriage blackmail is probably damning enough.

So do I preempt things and come out now under non-ideal circumstances or do I wait and hope I can come out when things are calmer? Part of me thinks I'm just trying to stall coming out but I also don't want the separation to be about sexuality if I can avoid it.

4. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    tearingtherose.....Yes, get a lawyer. Since you think that being homosexual may be used against you, it would probably be wise to confide that to your lawyer. I'm not sure about the law in the UK, but in the US anything you tell your lawyer is held in confidence and can not be revealed without your permission. Also, I am not a lawyer or in the UK a solicitor or barrister, so my advice is not legal advice. But I do hope it's good advice! :old_smile:
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

Ipswichfan likes this.
  5. Chillton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So only you can be the one to judge the pros and cons of coming out. However I would risk coming out on your own terms, (even though it's not the ideal way you would like to), rather than that chance being stolen from you like many other things in your life. At the very least you can tell your family members and they can help break the news to your kids if the need arises. My mother went through an abusive marriage and my sister and I were in the trenches with her. It was a team effort but we finally convinced her to divorce him. My biological dad was very abusive and desperately pulled every trick in the book to drive a wedge between us and stop the divorce. He even manufactured lies he told in court that were later disproven. From my own experience and hearing about other peoples abusive divorces it always boils down to Murphy's law. Every bit of the dirty laundry gets hung out to dry.

Two things saved us during the divorce.
    1 Getting ahead of the game in legal proceedings and doting every I and T as soon as possible and ahead of schedule if permitted.
    2 My mother and us sat down and talked and leveled on everything so we were all on the same page.

Like I said before only you can judge the pros and cons of coming out. If there is ever a time to ask your kids to step up the time is now. Kids should never have to be put in this position but it's their life too, and they deserve a seat at the table even though it sucks. I respect my mother so much more because she was honest with me and allowed us to help her and save all of us from a dismal future.

Ipswichfan likes this.
  6. tearingtherose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, it is the same in the UK with solicitors. I'm expecting a call from them tomorrow and I will tell them in confidence and go from there.

I'm sorry you had to go through that, and I do draw strength from your experience. I already know my 15 year old, who has been avoiding his mother since her return, told his head of year that he felt he should come home to take the brunt of her abuse so I could have a break.

My gut feeling is indeed that I should.come out. It's scary, I've avoided this for 30 years. I was planning to come out on a family holiday when I was 12 but chickened out. Avoiding it now has the risk of being tipped out of the closet not on my terms, I think I just want to kick the can down the road as I have always done.

As it's mother's day in the UK, I'm not going to do it today (see how good I am at avoiding this?!?). I'm thinking of speaking to my brother tomorrow and emailing my parents in the evening, especially if talking to my brother get emotional as I'll be worse with them.

I have spent all day listening to music, keeping half an eye on the youngsters, and thinking about what to say. It's silly in some ways, I can speak in front of hundreds of people at a conference, but talking to 3 people is terrifying me.

It's also silly because I know they'll be supportive, they didn't bad an eye lid when one cousin came out as gay and another as trans. My parents were against the marriage and I wonder if they, aside from realising she was not a good person, suspected that she was the wrong gender too. I'll find out soon enough.

Chillton likes this.
  7. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Tearing.....I don't want to sound mercenary, but you need to be the "Good Guy" in this situation. Do all the right things, be supportive when needed. Don 't give "the other side" any ammunition to use against you. Be supportive of the children, be a really good dad, etc. This next is my opinion so understand that it may not be what you should do...I do not think you should come out at this time. I think it will just add an additional problem to the already complicated mess. If they out you then you can take the position that you felt that bringing up that issue would only make things more difficult for the children when they were already having a difficult time. Play it that your concern was for the children. That you had every intention of telling the kids but wanted to wait until things had calmed down so that they were not having to deal with so many emotional things at the same time. Here is a suggestion...write a short letter stating that you intend to come out to the children after the issues concerning who they will be living with and all of the other concerns between their mother and you that affect the children are settled. Seal that short letter in an envelope and mail it to yourself. When it comes back to you do not open it! Keep that letter in case you are in court and need to prove that you indeed did plan all along to come out to the kids. The contents of the letter and the date of the postmark will prove your point and prove that what you are saying is not something that you have just that moment decided to say to try to counter what their mother, etc. has said. You will have proof that you have planned for some time to come out to the kids and not just because their mother has just that moment outed you. I hope some of these suggestions help...but they are just that...suggestions. If you feel that you should do something entirely different, then please don't feel bad that you haven't followed my suggestions. You are the person "on the spot" so you are the person who has to make the decisions. I know all of us here on EC are hoping that everything works out for the best for you and your children.

8. tearingtherose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really like that suggestion and will make it happen tomorrow. For clarity, it's only my brother and parents that I intend to come out to at the moment. I anticipate they'll be in court and the children won't, and I'd rather they not be completely surprised should this emerge.

I'm in complete agreement with you that now is not the time for the children, this all needs dealing with and the dust settling before yet more change is thrust upon them.

Chillton likes this.
  9. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Tearing.....Please be careful and protect yourself for the sake of the children.

Chillton likes this.
  10. tearingtherose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you David, I will be. After all is said and done, they are the most important in this situation and they need to be safe, feel safe, and finally begin to heal.

11. tearingtherose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have just emailed my parents and brother. I was shaking like a leaf typing it and almost cried at points. I'm glad it's done and nervously await for the phone call. I anticipate it will go something like "tearingtherose, know that we love you."

12. tearingtherose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I actually got a very lovely email back essentially nothing changes and they only wish that I felt I could tell the sooner. They invited me to call when I was ready and I've just spend 90 minutes talking with them, and nothing has changed. I saw myself in a mirror after and smiled, I've done it. The last hold that woman had on me is broken and now we focus on fighting for the kids.

Maldoone, Rayland, quebec and 2 others like this.
  13. Maldoone

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hell's Bells. I thought I was in a muddle. I'm 7 years on from my 'epiphany' and may have something to say. I'll come back tomorrow. In UK, Scotland

14. Maldoone

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just read through your string TTR. I'm speechless. I have to admit the scene you drew of you looking in the mirror made me smile a rueful smile. I remember doing just that, and taking a deep breath, after long and horrible heated conversations with my wife. For me, circumstances have not really changed, but I feel better, and I'm not frightened as much as I was. I've come out to my sons, who are now adults and my (openly) gay brother. They didn't give a hoot. David's right - you need to take conrol. There's been a gap here and I wonder how you are? ...Ken

Chillton likes this.
  15. tearingtherose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, sorry for the long absence. Life has been very busy and hectic and I find using the phone to type too uncomfortable. I'm out now to most of my friends and family except for the children. As it currently stands, the courts have granted me full custody of the children but the next hearing might grant my estranged wife supervised access. I have been having some counselling discussing the emotional impact of having knowingly hidden my sexuality and passing as straight for as long as I did, as well as discussing the abuse and blackmail from the ex. My boyfriend continues to be as supportive as ever, he's been a huge shoulder to lean on having gone through some of this (closeted, passing but not the abuse) himself before. While I haven't told people about him as yet (waiting for the court process to finish), knowing that people know I'm gay gives me a sort of feeling of permission to be with him - as silly as that sounds. The kids are doing well, and the school reports that they are noticeably happier since they've all been back with me, proof to me that I've done the right thing.

16. tallslenderguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Glad i read through the whole thread, i was about to launch after reading your initial post. Your story is all too familiar and, sadly, common. i'm glad that you got around the abusive fear and were able to come out. You've now learned that there are laws protecting you as a gay person and that the blackmail your former spouse exercised was based on a lie.
    As to it sounding "silly" to have a "feeling of permission to be with him," no, not silly at all. Closeted feelings, needs, desires, do not have the chance to develop in a healthy way... those things all need some time to 'come out' and express and catch up with the rest of you.

tearingtherose and Chillton like this.
  17. BiCavalier

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Finally read through this thread. All I can say is... :purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart: We got your back. We are here if you need us.

tearingtherose and Chillton like this.
  18. Chillton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats on finding a boyfriend and your children being happy. I'm so happy for you!

Maldoone and tearingtherose like this.
  19. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm really happy to hear that things are getting better for you and your children being happier too. This is a really good news.

20. tearingtherose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, as sad as it is to hear that it is so common, there is also comfort in knowing that I'm not alone. One of the things that counselling has made apparent just how lonely I have been throughout much of my adult life. I may have had a wife and children, but I was desperately lonely.

That makes sense, and it's not something I have thought of. Over the months since finally accepting I'm gay, I've been surprised by how much has come back to me, from childhood crushes through to conversations about coming out as a teenager. Since coming out, it's a different rush of feelings but the biggest is a real acceptance of who I am, that I no longer have to hide it. Well, almost - still the kids to tell at some point.

Chillton and Maldoone like this.