1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So...Theophobia?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Crackajack, Feb 5, 2011.

1. fiddlemiddle

fiddlemiddle Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well some of the founders of the civil rights movement such as Martin Lutur King jr were from religious organisations and also certain black churches help organised the protests for civil rights. Same with Poland as some of the prominent anti commmunists were members of the church as well as priests that rallied against the communists there. So there has been an positive aspects or religioius organisations that have impacted those societies yet of course the US south and Poland have been more religious than most other western socities.

Within Islam not all muslims are alike and many that come to the west come to escape the persecutions of their homelands and many dont want shirah law. Muslims are the most obvious religious group in the west as the women wear hijabs and I see it an great deal in the city where I live. I dont care what people where due to their religous requirements. Of course you get those with extremist beliefs yet those with extremist views are only an minority of that religion.

#41 fiddlemiddle, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  2. Fintan

I understand your point but you presented it in a rather unbalanced manner. It is true that many Churches that do not support gay-marriage -may- spend money to promote this view but, it is so minor in the big scheme of things.

I can't speak for all Churches -- however, the Roman Catholic Church requires that 60% of the funds that are dropped into the collection plate go to Catholic Charities, many are in Africa but this also includes Catholic Schools, Hospitals and many other local charities closer to home.

As for traditional protestant Churches, the requirements are not so clear, but most seem to require that atleast 40% of the tithes collected go to general Christian charities.

Again, I can't speak to all Churches but I know, that after my local parish pays its 40% to charities in the community and overseas (kids camps, building schools, poverty relief), then pay our minister, the rest of our funds are quickly eaten up by maintaining our 100+ year old building.

Exactly 0% is spent on political causes.

Today, experts debate whether it is in fact the Roman Catholic Church that is the largest charitable organisation supplying aid to Africa. I think this is damn impressive, whether or not I agree with everything they believe/promote. Furthermore, study after study suggests that church-goers are among the biggest donors to charity and far more likely to volunteer at charitable organisations. Most surveys I have seen suggest that "regular" church goers are 25% more likely to donate money to charity and 20% more likely to volunteer. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that I believe people should stop donating to organisations that limit our rights, but I think, if people just stopped tithing their local parish, it would do far more bad than good.

I also believe it unfair to state that "A lot of religious people are also biggots and hate homosexuals." -- A lot of people are biggots and hate homosexuals, but its not limited to the religious community. Heck, I think if we asked those in favour of gay marriage or rights for minorities, the majority of them are religious too.

I am not saying that your anger at conservative people of faith isn't valid. But it must be put into context. People aren't putting money in the collection plate each week to "Destroy the Gays" or "Take Away Gay Rights", for the vast majority of them, they feel they are helping their community and their world by doing so. Including me.

3. padre411

Howdy. I'm an Anglican priest so I come at these things with a particular focus. Intellectual learning is easy to come by and there are some good primers. I'd be happy to suggest a few. For the experiential part, if you are curious, you might join a group going to Taize. If you went at Pentecost you be among 3 or 4 thousand peers in your age group, many of them skeptical and unbelieving, sharing an ecumenical religious experience.

I'd encourage you to refine your definition of religious types. The Anglican Church in the United States, for example, is completely on board with quantum physics and evolution and particle theory and the goodness of sex and the affirmation of homosexuality as a full and valid expression of the image of God. In the 4th century St Augustine said "If the truth of science and the truth of scripture appear to be in conflict, we should hold judgment until the truth of one or the other is born out. If the truth of science prevails, we must understand scripture metaphorically." The church forgot much of what St Augustine had to say.

The core issue is power and its abuse. The abuse of power in a religious context is particularly dangerous as evidenced by your list above. But in the absence of religion, horrible abuses of power would still take place. And religion at its best provides a check on abusive power. By way of example you might look up Desmond Tutu.

I'd like to think not all of it is scary. I will say there are a lot of what you call "religious types" not helping the cause one little bit.