1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Last book you read?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Wander, May 1, 2009.

1. Notreallysure

Anything by John Grisham is amazing!

2. Jonathan

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

[​IMG]

3. Ciceron

Ciceron Guest

Anthony Everitt has written a fantastic biography about Marcus Cicero. It's history sure, which may not interest many people, but he manages to put the late republic in very modern terms and it almost feels like it's not happening over a couple thousand years ago.

In fact I loved it so much I read it twice. Like, the second time right after I was finished the first time! Anyway read it. You'll thank me later.

4. NoLeafClover

The Passage by Justin Cronin

Being made into a movie, directed by Ridley Scott. Involves zombies/vampires/crazy viral human..things.

I feel like I posted this already.

EDIT: I posted about a gay themed book. I knew it was about a book!

5. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    "Flesh and Spirit", and the sequel "Breath and Bone" by Carol Berg.

It's set in a fantasy setting. The first book is about a drifter (running from his noble family and all the responsibilities that entailed) who was stabbed, robbed, and left for dead by his partner. Some monks find him and take him in. He lives with them and goes along to get by. All the while he is dealing with drug addiction as well as reacting to the utter chaos in the world outside. It's really dark, gritty, and graphic and paints a vivid picture. Some great twists and turns too.

Book 2 picks up where part 1 left off. Instead of dealing with the monastary as the main setting, it deals with the chaos in the outside world and everyone who was trying to fix it, some in more moral ways, some doing vile things to get things done. It's less graphic and gritty and focuses more on the events in the story. It's still very detailed though.

One thing I did appreciate was that Valen (the main character) is bisexual, though that's more of a backstory element than something that comes up as a plot point.

Honestly, this was one of the more satisfying stories I've read in a long time. I definitely recommend it. I'd love to read it again myself, but my sister took them off to college.

#285 Leon481, Sep 21, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  6. matt3208pc

"Replay" by Ken Grimwood.

It's kind of sci-fi, about a guy who keeps reliving his life when he dies, probably one of my favourite books.

7. bebed

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The last book I read was InkHeart (but didn't finish,since I lost it somewhere I don't even remember) :frowning2:

I can also consider Hade by Alexandra Adornetto. :grin:

8. maverick

The Hours by Michael Cunningham, and it was awesome.

9. "Beyond", by John Galsworthy.

10. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Last book I read was Dubliners by James Joyce (short stories and a novella not a whole novel)

Right now I'm reading The Monk by Mathew Lewis :confused: He was TWISTED IN THE MIND with all his incest and rape and murder and stuff. No wonder it was banned (and now the government makes teenagers to read it :thumbsup:)

11. feverdreamt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The last book that I have completed is "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky.. I, being extremely introverted and neurotic connected with The main character charlie very easily.. It is the only book that has made me cry (multiple times too).. currently i am working on finishing "Perfume" by Patrick Süskind.. And so far so good!

12. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Oh, I love Perks! It's one of my all-time-favorite books. The last book I finished reading was Mysterious Skin. It's a really, really disturbing novel. I'm halfway through Running With Scissors now which is equally disturbing....

13. Cthulhu

Cthulhu Guest

Last book I read was Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. I'm currently reading The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Tales by H.P. Lovecraft

14. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Room by Emma Donoghue. I loved every word of it.

15. littleoldme

kinda sad that this is the last time i read a book but the last book i read was last year for english class and it was To Kill a Mockingbird lol

16. Watz08

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. One can only hope the end of the world is this entertaining.

17. ilovedogs9

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The last book I read was "From Baghdad, With Love". I'm not sure what I plan on reading next. Probably going to re-read "The Godfather", since I don't have anything else lying around. Though, if I could find some LGBT books, that would be awesome. Just don't know where to look.

18. Mimerio

The last novel I read, hmm probably would be "Holes" about boys who go to a bootcamp for criminal activity, the main protagonist is really interesting.

19. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

I'm reading "Wicked - The Life and Times of The Wicked Witch of the West" by Gregory Maguire

20. mischa91

I'm busy ready Jane Eyre, i think the last book i finished was Emma if i remember right. I just love the classics!