1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My dad again

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Rayland, Jan 2, 2023.

1. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This happened a few days back and I've been venting about it, but decided to put it here as well. My dad told me I have to do something about my looks and weight that if I don't do something about it now, then no man will look at me, either upwards or downwards and I got pissed off. Seriously, who tells this to their child? Adult or not. And while chuckling about it too. I didn't find it funny one bit. I told him, that I have no interest in marriage anyway and he asked that am I lesbian or what, so I told him that, what if I am, what does that matter in anger and he said damn and I just left to my room. Sometimes I wonder, if he aknowledges what he says at all. He will problably forgot about it and acts like nothing is wrong at all. I wonder, if he thinks now, that I really am a lesbian, if so then he can think what he wants. I do like women.

I have been trying to cope with loneliness and dysphoria and doing school work and job searches, so it just brings me down more. I'm hopeful towards future and about transitioning, but I don't know how to handle very strong emotions.

I will have to have this talk with my parents anyways, but it's so scary. Just reactions like my dad asking, if I'm a lesbian alone makes me terrified and he has asked this before too and I've been wanting to have a girlfriend. I wonder what is reaction would be, if I did tell him I have a girlfriend. Part of me wants to shock him out of spite.

If something don't change, then I'm afraid it puts even more strain to our relationship. I can already tell, that he won't be calling me his son and that there will be drama. It makes me sad. I alread keep secrets from my family and avoid my dad, if I can, when before I told them about absolutely everything. He never have told me, that I do something well or complimented me. His attitude has affected me a lot. We don't hug or anything. He don't even let me. I hug with my mom and sister all the time. My mom even tells him off about his attitude, but he won't change. He thinks he is always right and others are wrong.

2. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know we've talked about this some, but I wanted to make sure I could offer support here, too. Firstly, I'm glad you held your ground when he opted to be confrontational with you, and I'm also happy that your mom does what she can to stick up for you; that in itself is really encouraging, even if it hurts that both of your parents are at odds in how they treat you.

Secondly, I know it doesn't seem like it, but you've come a long way and have grown so much already, in spite of your father's attitude. I hope you can find pride in knowing you're a good person, regardless of his many criticisms of you.

I'm not sure I have much in the way of advice on how to change things, but I will say this: the only person who can change your father is him. No matter what you or your mother do or say, the decision to be a better father, husband, and person is up to him alone--and the sad reality is, he may never make the decision to better these aspects of himself. In fact, I would go so far as to say that he knows he's not living up to his potential and thus has been projecting his failings onto you; perhaps in a subconscious grab for company in his misery.

But, despite the fact that you can't change him, you still have control over one thing: yourself. You are your own person, and though it will be difficult at times to see your worth, with a bit of unlearning and conscious effort, I believe you'll start to see yourself in a more positive light--and that will shine through. It won't be easy, and everyone who works to overcome the negative voices in their minds struggles to do so consistently; it's always most difficult when you start. But the more you do it and the more time passes, the easier it'll be. This doesn't mean you won't have low points again, of course, as these are part of life/human experience. But when you do, I think all your facing now and all the work you've put in (and continue to put in) will make it easier to overcome them.

You're stronger than you think, and you know I'm here whenever you have need. <3

BlueLion, Rayland and mnguy like this.
  3. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Omg he was way out of line, very disrespectful of him!! I'm sorry and also glad that you were able to say something and your mom did too. The strong emotions make it hard and then you cry and hope all the emotions get out. It's frustrating when it keeps coming back and it's like a constant battle. I wish he'd read a book about good parenting and take it to heart. What kind of person knowingly hurts their own child? What is his reasoning? Is his cruelty supposed to force you conform to some perfect person he thinks you should be? He probably thinks shaming is a valid way to change your behavior. He's wrong along with all the other people who have been doing that forever. It's tragic all the suffering they have caused humanity. I hope you always remember he is wrong, not you. You are so kind and capable and he better watch himself. Hang in there buddy!

Rayland likes this.
  4. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you guys. I'm just glad that I'm not overreacting or anything. My dad haven't been the worst dad ever in the past, what makes this so much harder. He always worries about me and worries too much and I feel that he treats me still like a child at times and call me when I stay out too long and asks where I go and why. It's embarrasing. When I was a child and sick a lot, then they took very good care of me and my sister too, even if it was very hard. There even was time, where child protective services wanted to take me and my sister away, but after seeing that our living situation wasn't bad, then they changed their mind. And when my grandma was still alive and I was young they take me and my sister to the zoo and amusement park, what are core memories for us. And even brought me a puppy who I grew up with and who I still miss today. It's my dream to be closer to my family and travel around and not worry about finances or health, though I know this will never happen. I would do anything for them, despite everything. This all makes me cry.

@BiGemini87 I really appreciate and value your insight. I think you are very right, with everything you said. I left a reply for you to the PM as well.

@mnguy Thank you. I appreciate the reply and you're right. It is all very frustrating. I think it's like BigGemini said that he is trying to project his failings onto me. He never for example finished university. He dropped out. Most of his life he was working as a bus driver, but not anymore. The political party he despices is actually very homophobic party. I find that ironic. Others haven't taken his opinions or ideas into consideration in the past much, so I think this all makes him act like this and his mother, my grandma was like this too.

BiGemini87 likes this.
  5. Nameerf76

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not excusing your dad's behaviour AT ALL! But, from my experience as a dad - we can often say hurtful things because we think (from OUR point of view) our kids are maybe going in a direction we don't think will be safe or happy or successful for them - the problem is we are often wrong because the direction we want for them is based on OUR experiences and OUR upbringing and we don't take our children's individuality and uniqueness into account.
    I know I would get frustrated when my kids didn't do what I thought they SHOULD and I realise, in hindsight, I should have recognised that you can't MAKE your children turn out how you think they should - you're supposed to recognise their own selves and support them in becoming that...
    What I mean I guess is that it probably comes from a place of love - he probably wants you to have a healthy, happy life that conforms to the rules and conventions that he grew up with - maybe from his point of view he's worried that you won't fit into that pattern which he imagined for your future and will therefore be unhappy...
    As I said I'm not excusing his behaviour at all - just giving my view of having seen both sides! I've been a child with not very supportive parents AND I've been a parent who could have done much better..!

Rayland likes this.
  6. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No worries. I fully get what you are saying.

I don't hate him, because of it all. I've also seen both worlds, where dad don't care at all, like my uncle for example who is alcoholic and sleeps around and never takes notice his children or a grandchild, even when they come and see him. He is cold to them. They don't live together anymore.

The hurtful words just bring me down to tears a lot, especially, since I've been dealing with a lot. I just want him to aknowledge me as who I am.

7. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I get it you want to love your parents which is drilled into our heads in many ways throughout society. It's part of religions to always honor your parents, which is very convenient for them. Not that one needs to be religious, as it is pervasive. People with power set the rules to benefit themselves. What did your dad and uncle do to try to learn how to be a great dad? I'm just curious bc if I was going to be a dad, learning what a child really needs to grow up healthy and loving oneself would be my priority. Of course I look at this differently being gay, older and working to undo the damage done to me. I hope it's not too harsh but I'm sick of people who refuse to stop their toxic behavior, especially to their children.

8. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand. We come from different backrounds and were raised in different time periods, so you see it all in a different viewpoint. I don't know if I can or how to stop this kind of behaviour. You can't change people who don't want to change. Maybe he don't know how to change either, since he was raised this way as well. There are also my own fears. Maybe he changes once I come out to him? I was raised in a conservative country and was thought to always respect my elders and be kind to my parents. We are also expected to help out our parents, when they get old and if you don't you are immediately seen as a bad daughter/son. Even, if you put them in nursing home, then people's attitudes are why can't they stay at home, but not everyone has time to look after their old parents all the time, while having their own lives to deal with or when you don't visit them often, then again you're seen as bad daughter/son. I've witnessed it with my own eyes, since I did work at a nursing home.

I don't know, if you know, but there is something called generational trauma. Older generations often set the stage (knowingly or unknowingly) for how emotions within the family are dealt with. Do you hide your emotions and act as if nothing is happening? Do you internalize your emotions until something triggers them to come spilling out? Or does your family drink and/or use drugs to cope with the pain? Whatever way the trauma is dealt with, older generations within a family set the stage for how traumatic events should be (and often are) coped with. Sadly, the trauma continues throughout generations because those who needed help, never received it. In other cases, the family member who is traumatized may even transfer negative emotions on to others within the family such as children or other family members.

My grandma raised 3 children by herself (2 boys and one girl), because her husband died while working in a car accident. My dad did took care of me a lot as stated of above. Sometimes he does stand up for me too, it's rare, but he does. He has his moments, when he is very kind, so I feel like it's not all lost cause and which is why I don't hate him. My uncle though didn't do anything. He didn't even try to get to know his children. He only brought more children with different women into the world and had to pay aliments (money) through court to them. In my knowing he has 5 children, could be more though. I got no clue. My uncle was troubled child, since young. My dad had health issues.

9. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're right he has to want to change and has to know why he should change. Next time start crying in front of him, let it all out and let him know he's causing your pain and ask if that's what he wants? Maybe that will do something after enough times. Another way if you feel up to it, you could bring up the last time and let him know how bad you felt to see how he responds. Either way you are being honest about what you feel and I hope it's empowering to you.

There's generational trauma here too and all over so how will it stop if we keep going along with it? Yes, we were taught to hide emotions especially as guys, be tough, no weakness, no crying, don't be a fag, etc. It's all damaging too, that's what I'm trying to say. You know by now I don't always say stuff quite right, but I really do want all the joy for you in life :hugging:

Rayland likes this.
  10. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do get what you're saying, it's just I don't know how to stop it. If I start crying in front of him, he says I'm stupid for crying and makes exuses. I need to put him in his place more often. I've noticed telling him off like this is the most effective way. Telling him the way, that he can't exuse himself, even if I feel hurt and quilty afterwards for being mean. He always starts pouting, when someone points out his flaws.

I'm not offended what you were saying. I do get it. I often don't know either how to explain myself well, so don't worry. Hugs.

mnguy likes this.
  11. Nameerf76

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think parent/child relationships are always difficult because there IS such a power imbalance which is necessary when the child is a baby or young child - but it's hard for parents to notice and realise that it's time to back off with the control as the child becomes an adult..
    Again it sounds like I'm excusing his behaviour but I'm not! I'm just recognising some of the mistakes I made as a parent - I wasn't nearly as bad as MY parents but I should have done better than I did - I was also dealing with the anxiety disorders and PTSD that I got from my upbringing at the time I was trying to raise MY kids - passing along that generational trauma!

12. Nameerf76

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Another important point - you will probably look back and agree that the years you are going through now - of becoming an adult but still living at home - are probably the hardest you'll go through!
    You seem very level-headed and mature so I'm sure you'll make it! But it really is a difficult time!

13. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One thing. I am already an adult living at home. I'm 31. I get treated like a child though. My parents also have disabilities, so which is why I'm helping out at home too. I would love to move out, but I can't because of it and no jo job either right now, so financially it's hard. I'm also a university student. Being home is more like a 24/7 job to me, because I can't be myself and have loads of obligations. I'm like a parent for adults. I haven't even really been able to live my own life.

14. Nameerf76

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Gosh sorry I didn't meant to assume! I think I was having too many conversations at once!
    I can see why it's MORE frustrating then being treated like a child!
    I know a lot of people here who have to live with their parents for financial reasons or as carers and it's so hard!
    Sorry I've been treating you like child too! I'm so embarrassed!

15. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No worries. I fully understand, which is why I explained it, because it seemed like you misunderstood how old I am. :grin:

16. Nameerf76

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I did! So sorry! I really want to try to help everyone and sometimes I rush in!

Rayland likes this.
  17. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hang in there Rain were all here for you !

Rayland likes this.
  18. marsphse

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    i have a brother who is pretty similar with being transphobic and homophobic and always asking "are you gay or something"
    it's so scary, i know the feeling- it is terrifying.
    i hope you know that there are so many people like us and support from other queer people is much stronger than hate and rejection ! we will always be here to support you as a community.

i'm so sorry that things are difficult, being lgbt with an unaccepting family is really complex and scary. but it is doable.

i believe in your strength!!

Rayland likes this.
  19. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to the EC! :slight_smile:

And thank you so much. Yeah, it's so scary. Every time I think I'm ready to tell or take deep breaths in to tell I get scared again. It's so hard to find that courage, especially, if you know how their attitude is like.

marsphse likes this.
  20. marsphse

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you! :slight_smile:

yes! i think it's also helpful to consider (if you are ready to come out) which way is most comfortable for you. at the moment i'm writing a coming out letter that i want to give to my parents at some point because i'm much better at writing stuff down. and if i said it in person i would probably get too scared lol.

so maybe telling him directly is the easiest and most comfortable way for you, or it could be through a message, through a letter, through something else? there could be another process that you feel more comfortable coming out through, though it makes sense that every process would be scary in its own way. it's tough!!

sending lots of luck and good vibes