Zen Buddhism?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ProfessorLepus, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Anyone here much into Zen? I'm looking into it now, its ideals seem interesting and actually fairly obvious to me. I've been trying zazen, and I don't think I've ever felt anything better!

So now I'm getting the hang of zazen, what should I do next? Anything I should read?

2. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love the ideas behind nearly all forms of Buddhism, but I doubt I'd be able to live the life of being in that religion.

3. Well I'm not going to shave my head and be a monk (I enjoy my manly locks) but I am adopting some of the mid-level stuff. The kind of stuff that alters your way of thinking, but allows you to function in society.

4. Confusicus

Confusicus Guest

I took a course in yoga my 2nd year at college and really enjoyed it, I felt great mentally and physically. I have been meaning to get back into because it helped a lot the last time I was really down. Not sure how related the two are, but the meditation and relaxation really helps clear your mind. I also read a lot about Buddhism and the philosophies are great care to share your methods? and what exactly is zazen?

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Zen is a very specific sect of Buddhism which focuses away from texts and other so-called "religious trappings", and more on personal enlightenment via meditation. In short, if you're truly devoted to the cause, you SHOULD read nothing at all. :slight_smile:

Lex

6. Zazen is Zen meditation. Literally, "seated meditation". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zazen

7. CrystalCat

The Heart of Buddha's teachings by Thic Nyat Hanh. Anything by him is amazing on a whole. He got me into zen buddhism.

8. Thanks for your answers everyone!