1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Youtube Restricted Mode blocks LGBT+ plus content

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Ozma, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Linkmaste

What's worrisome is this senario:

You have a family with a child (10-17 for example) and they have opinions on the LGBTQ community that are not positive. They believe that their child shouldn't be subjected to this content and switch restricted on. Now you have that child who IS actually LGBTQ and can't find anything for them to relate to and it causes severe depression, misery and neglect.

Not saying this happens ALL THE TIME, but I can imagine some households where the child has to follow strict strict rules like that.

With Youtube making LGBTQ READY TO BLOCK OUT-it almost promotes discrimination saying that their content isn't 'friendly' or 'safe'.

LUCKILY, Youtube is working on fixing that so kudos to that.

Side note-major companies are pulling out of Google and Youtube because their ads are placed with hate and terrorism videos. Funny or what?

2. Non binary kid

OH DEAR GOD OUR CHILDREN HAVE WATCHED SOMETHING THAT SAYS GAY CALL THE POLICE, THE FIREFIGHTERS, THE SUBWAY, THE CHURCH PEOPLE, GET THE HOLY WATER! WE MUST DESTROY THIS NOW!

I mean, basic human rights? Preposterous!

3. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm honestly surprised at these turn of events. I thought for sure YouTube was liberal due to its censoring and subsequent deletion of anti-SJW/conservative channels. This is so strange.

4. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm just wondering if all these homophobic YouTube channels have the same restrictions

5. rainyday

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not just based on the flags, from what I've heard some people have posted videos on channels that have restricted viewing areas (so I guess they make the videos private or something), put gay in the title and bam it's blocked. Judging from the kinds of videos that have been blocked from lgbt channels, it looks like they added gay/bi/etc to their algorithm that blocks out videos. How intentional this is idk. Somehow I doubt content made by neo nazis and homophobes isn't blocked, as long as they don't have gay in their video titles.

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    More people are getting strikes on their channel, even outside the LGBTQ community.

YouTube turning their backs against us like this is disappointing. I've been on the site since 2006, and I've seen my fair amount of nonsense---like the drama with Viacom for example and the G+ crap. But, once again, they always find a way to make things worse. This is ridiculous, and the media isn't helping either. A guy from Germany is close to losing his account and he's had reporters on his doorstep asking for interviews over his channel and a certain video that got flagged.

News outlet and gaming channels are starting to suffer also. I'm just beyond tired of this. YouTube wouldn't be what it is without us, and to stab us in the back is upsetting.

7. I agree that a lot of these youtubers shouldn't be blocked, as they are following Youtube's guidelines and really aren't doing anything wrong. I think youtube is trying waaaaaaaay too hard to be advertiser friendly, and it's blowing up in their face. Hehehe. Blowing up in their face. K, I'll stop. Most of the LGBT youtubers should not be restricted. There are a few youtubers that I can definetely see why they would be blocked, like the channel QueerKidsStuff, which as a transguy myself, I think that channel is kind of indoctrinating kids that gender doesn't exist and you can pick and chose whatever you want. That would completely mess with their perception of gender, which is a critical part of child development. The whole channel is kind of creepy. And Chase Ross, I could kind of see why his channel's being blocked, because he does have a bunch of videos where all he talks about is sex, but most of the channels getting blocked are getting blocked over dumb reasons and they shouldn't be restricted.

8. Simple Thoughts

You can thank the Wall Street Journal and Time Magazine for this mess.

It all started with them scavaging around all of youtube to find a handful of racist videos that had maybe a few hundred views which featured a coke ad....they took those videos to the advertisers and hounded them to death and now the advertisers have fled in a panic which has pulled the rug out from under Youtube which in turn lead to them freaking out and getting even stricter on content than they already were.

Corporate media wanted to get rid of its competition so it started attacking Youtube's wallet, and all your LGBT youtubers are just casualties of that.

9. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First off, and this has nothing to do with you, Simple Thoughts, I will admit I was pretty wrong in what I said earlier. This no longer seems to have anything to do with the flagging system on YouTube and way more to do with the issue of companies pulling their ads off of google. If you look at one of the more recent podcasts that Jenna Marbles did with her boyfriend, they go into way more detail and help to connect the dots between all of YouTube's current issues stemming from this with the largest suspected reason of why this is happening being that YouTube is trying to police their content and be advertiser friendly. I will say though that in a few other videos on YouTube, they point out that in actuality, advertisers pulling their ads has actually been a problem for over a year. It does seem though that the scandal with Pewdiepie was a giant catalyst with these issues with advertisers.

10. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Generally I think it's supid for 18+ I think at 12 years kids can know that there are LGBT people like they know how they were created...

But some sexual content is fine to put in restricted mode.

11. Simple Thoughts

Pewdiepie, Jontron, and then the weird white nationalist videos with like 100 views started making headlines which seems to have driven most of this. You're right they've been trying to clean up the platform for awhile now on their own, but it kicked into overdrive after that incident.

The thing is that I would like to ensure racism and bigotry don't profit on Youtube as much as anyone else, but if you think that's why Time or WSJ are getting involved you're wrong. They are getting involved because their numbers have been going down for awhile and their competition on Youtube has been picking up steam. They can see that Independent media is the future and they're trying to snuff it out and maintain their empires and are using faux outrage as their tool and weapon.

12. Guys. Y'all can chill. I have a school chromebook with restricted mode, and there is tons of LGBT content on youtube that isn't blocked. Also, you can get out of restricted mode by signing into another youtube account. It's that easy.

13. RileyWeaves

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It could be that they have the algorithms and flagging system. Certain things are marked by the youtubers that "yeah, this should be restricted". There's also the flagging system. Has anyone considered the possibility that x number of flags= the video being blocked until it can be reviewed by one of the staff members? If people have started flagging things more frequently (in addition to all of the new uploads each day) it could be terribly difficult to actually review all of them in a timely manner. Just a thought.