1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"You're either gay, straight, or lying."

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jesse Jinx, May 7, 2009.

1. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>Now, before I get attacked, please respect my oppinion.

Then I'd ask you to respect my opinion that you're simply wrong. :slight_smile:

Lex

2. Jesse Jinx

Haha, I like the way you said that Filip.

BeatuifulStranger, of course I respect your opinion. I was just complaining about this guy because he was majorly rude to me and humiliated me. I understand that Bisexual people will need to choose eventually, just like everyone else. I'll either end up falling in love with a man or a woman, but it doesn't change that fact that I'm attracted to both.

3. Étoile

Exactly.

Just because you're married or in a commited relationship with someone you still notice the hot waiter serving you.

4. BeautifulStranger

How am I supposed to give respect when I don't get it? :slight_smile:

Telling me that my oppinion (oppinions aren't factual, mind you) is 'simply wrong' is quite far from respect.

#24 BeautifulStranger, May 9, 2009
    Last edited: May 9, 2009
  5. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

But if a bisexual person tells you that he/she actually likes both sexes and doesn't need to make a choice, why would you not believe it? Why do you think you know better than bisexuals themselves? It sounds like stubbornness to me.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What if I told you my opinion is that you don't exist?

Lex

7. Elesbian47

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think, like most things, sexuality falls on a bell curve.

8. paco

paco Guest

hmm..theres a thought. so..where does everything fall in the bell? i mean, what's the most common and least common things to be? has anyone ever done this poll?

9. Jesse Jinx

Haha. Yup! That's probably what I should have said to the guy in the first place. :grin: This is the perfect way to phrase it.

As for that bell curve thing... That is really interesting. I would like to see that poll.

10. GhostDog

Hehe, I like to say, "Hey, just because I've already ordered, doesn't mean I can't look at the menu." ;D

I do think that'd be an interesting study, too.

11. Just Adam

the shit is when youve ordered then see you missed something on the menu you would of prefered :frowning2:

12. STK

STK Guest

Same here (though I refer to it as a continuum. Same thing?)

13. littledinosaurs

Saying that we'll have to make a choice eventually implies that we can chose who we love, and that we chose to be either gay/straight, i don't think that's a slippery slope you wanna go on either :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

It also implies that a bisexual being in a relationship with the same gender makes them gay and a bisexual in a relationship with the opposite sex makes them straight. Which is untrue, we are still bisexual when in those relationships.
    If not, then you aren't gay/straight when you're single becuase you have no other person to define your 'true' sexuality for you.

Note: I don't respect your opinion at all, but i do however respect you, and hope you don't feel attacked. Also i realize this thread is old as hell, but i mean ever since corina taught us how to use search i decided i'd shift through and found this interesting. :slight_smile:

14. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Jarrett. If you're in a monogamous relationship you'll only be having a sexual relationship with a person of one gender, true, but that doesn't mean your attraction to the other will disappear.

15. the ry guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    this is just my experience but I've been with both parties and i think both parties are great and i'm sexually attracted to both, however i've only been able to make a real emotional connection with men. it didnt' really bother me when me and my gfs broke up and i'd bounce back in like days, but when me and my bf broke up it bugged me for months and i was just like destroyed. so sexually i like both but emotionally i lean toward guys (or maybe i just didn't meet the right girl) again just my experience

and as for when someone tries to say i'm confused (due to the fact that i'm a politcal science major with a minor in speech and debate, its very easy for me to get verbal ) i'll just tear into something they do, or believe and just use there argument against them. oh but you said this and now it applies to this but not this lol it's a lot of fun sometimes

#35 the ry guy, Jul 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  16. Jesse Jinx

Ha, it's really cool to see this thread back up. Maybe people who didn't catch it the first time can give their input this time. I agree with littledinosaurs 100%. I think that's a great way to reasonably articulate the argument. If you're bi then you're bi. All the time, no matter what or who you're with. Thanks guys!

17. Alex19

i thought i was bi b4 i realized i really only prefered guys.

and i dont agree with the statement either. u really cant control who u like. hell, in nature there is this one group of primeapes that r completely bisexual. it was noted that all of them have sexual relations with both sexes. if animals do it, why not humans?

18. JakeBHT

I love science sometimes, especially to bring down "negative vibe" arguments like this. I would say that you cannot knock it until you have tried it and seeing as people who are not bi cannot try it they can never knock it!

19. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think there are two separate issues here that are getting intermixed.

The first is, when you look at Kinsey's work (the only large, definitive study ever done on human sexuality), he found that only 10% of the population was at one end of the scale or the other (totally heterosexual or homosexual), while everyone else was somewhere on the continuum. Now... Kinsey's study had a lot of flaws and methodology issues, but most believe that his fundamental conclusions are reasonably accurate. If that's the case, then nearly all of us are bisexual in some ways, and there's no reason to be afraid of that.

The second issue is looking at sexual identity for people who are in the process of coming out, in the context of the 5 stages of grief (denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance.) For a lot of people, even accepting that they have *any* attraction to the same sex is very difficult and traumatic. If we look at the "bargaining" stage of grief, it makes perfect sense that, while we are on the road to understanding what our true sexuality is, it would be very reasonable (and, in fact, is very common) to "bargain" with ourselves and find reasons why we might still be attracted to the opposite sex... "Well, so-and-so is really hot, and if I had the chance to be in a relationship with her, I defnintely would... but otherwise, I'm mostly attracted to guys, so I'm bi."

So for some people, identifying as "bisexual" is a stepping stone in the bargaining process that allows us to begin to accept our new sexual identity but still hold onto a piece of our prior sexual identity... "Well, since I'm bi, I might still marry an opposite-sex partner, and have a home with a white picket fence and 2.3 kids and be 'normal'"

And then, as we move into the "acceptance" stage, those of us who are closer to a 6 on the Kinsey scale (0 being hetero, 6 being homo, everything else being in between), we reach the place of accepting that we are not really bisexual, and accept the new label as gay or lesbian.

Now... of course, people who are truly attracted to both men and women will probably never identify as "gay" or "staight", because they are, in fact, bisexual.

So I believe (and the literature supports) the idea that there are most definitely plenty of bisexual people. But I've also seen that a lot of people who initially label themselves as bi do, in fact, later change it to gay or lesbian.

20. Markio

I don't think you're either gay, straight, or lying. I'm gay and I lie all the time! :grin: