Your Views on Pansexuality

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by idleteen, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whatever floats people's boat. :shrug:

2. hmph

hmph Guest

to me it's being attracted to people and not really caring about what they identify as, what's in their pants, whatever.

i guess there's a lot of argument about bisexuality not implying an attraction to either male or female beings, but not what's in between. i dunno. i never liked calling myself bisexual because of the negative connotations to it.

plain and simple if i find out later that you have different parts than i expected or you are in transition or you are cis or intersex or whatever i dont care. sex is obviously a big thing for me but we can make it work. as long as you have a good soul you know.

3. MidnightOwl

This thread is going to bother me.

4. redstormrising

i don't really have any opinion, it's just another orientation

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't like pansexuality as a word, because I feel like it implies that bisexual people actually believe in the gender binary and are not open to dating trans* or genderqueer people. This bisexual is...

So, while I'm not going to necessarily preach it, the word kind of grates. It someone identifies to me as pansexual, I'm not going to berate them. It's just not how I choose to identify myself for political reasons. I want to use a more commonly understood word to describe my sexual orientation. Sex, gender, and gender presentation are not that big of a deal to me. (Well, there is one gender presentation I hate: "bro.")

Still, I think I rate a lot better to multisexual folks, whether they choose to identify as bi or pan, than gay or lesbian folks. And I'm sorry to have to say, a lot of it's politics...

6. curlycats

i don't have a problem with Pansexuality seeing as how i identify as Pansexual. it should be noted that i also identify as Bisexual, but Pansexual first and foremost.

i think that Bisexuality can and does encompass everything that Pansexuality is. however, i see Pansexuality as having a more specific meaning than Bisexuality and it's that more specific meaning that i love about Pansexuality.

i find that too often arguments made against Bisexuality by Pansexuals are silly (and i must admit, i have been guilty of this myself). likewise, i find that too often arguments against Pansexuality by Bisexuals are just as silly. personally, i think we should all just join hands in an effort to fight biphobia and monosexism, but that's just me. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

back on topic, there are people who believe that Pansexuality doesn't exist and that we (Pansexuals) are all really just Bisexuals. on such people, i don't bother wasting a second of my time.

7. MidnightOwl

As stated. You as Bisexual identify as a Male.

I use Pansexual, because I'm not Bisexual. I do not use the term Bisexual because I do not see myself as gender either.

Pansexual doesn't just mean their relationship partner gender, but their own as well.

8. animequeen567

I'm just really happy to see that there are people that see pansexual as a real sexuality. I always hear about people complaining that it's fake so I thought that a most people felt that way. This thread is making me happy because there's more positives than negatives here. It really means a lot to me! :slight_smile:

9. curlycats

i have never heard of someone viewing Bisexuality or Pansexuality has having any direct connection to one's own gender. i am truly intrigued.

it seems to me that you see a link existing between Pansexuality and Pangender. am i correct....? please, do correct me if i am wrong.

i feel that it should be noted that Bisexuality does not exclude people who identify as neither male nor female... however if you feel it does, then i will respect that. :slight_smile:

10. MidnightOwl

Bi- means two

Pan- means all

11. iBlakexo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think Pansexuality is beautiful :slight_smile: i wish i was Pansexual sometimes!

12. curlycats

yes.... but two what? many Bisexuals define Bisexuality as being sexual attraction to people who are:

1. of one's own gender (which i assume in your case would be Pangender)
    2. all other genders

given that definition of Bisexual, do you still feel excluded...?

in fact, in the Bisexual Manifesto which was written and published in 1990 by members of the Bisexual community, it was explicitly denied that the "bi" in "Bisexual" implies a belief in only two genders.

edit: please note, i am not trying to convert you to Bisexuality. i love both Pansexuality and Bisexuality. i just think that people misunderstand Bisexuality sometimes and would like to rectify that, if possible.

#32 curlycats, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  13. MidnightOwl

Like I said take a look at the Bisexual profiles

I'm not syaing there aren't in betweens it is what is most common.

I am Unisex.

Thus I am not Bi.

I play all the gender roles. And don't choose mates on gender. And again I don't fall in love with just people either.

You know the Na'vi or the Vulcan, yeah I like something like that. Which is not about a person or their soul, it's about two minds transcending the physical body. :tantrum:

14. Mogget

I only have a problem with pansexuality when people use it to denigrate or redefine bisexuality.

15. curlycats

interesting. all right. :slight_smile:

16. MidnightOwl

Sorry it drives me insane because I'm not bisexual. lol.

edit-

I take a more philosophical approach

17. curlycats

sorry for pressing the matter. i really do believe you when you say you're not, my curiosity re: details just got the best of me. :slight_smile:

18. Hexagon

Pansexuality is awesome. Perhaps something of an ideal. Unfortunately, I think most heterosexual people don't know what it is, and when they have it explained to them, they fail to grasp the subtleties between it any bisexuality. And unfortunately, as with bisexuality, deny it's existence once they have grasped the concept.

#38 Hexagon, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  19. MidnightOwl

Curious curly cats, lol. I understand. It's just very hard to explain when I'm not exactly the norm of the LGBTQ community.

20. Hot Pink

Pansexuality, by how it's defined, makes bisexuals out to be closed-minded and ignorant. It's very offensive. I've known many who identify as bisexuals who said they would date anyone, regardless of sex or gender--or lack there of. Many of these bisexuals actually have dated trans and gender queer people. My best friend is bi and she finds the idea of pansexuality very offensive.

As for myself, I believe that it's a label that clarifies a few things for prospective partners. It lets interested trans people known that you're romantically accepting of them--which not all bisexuals are. I think it's a bit sticky, though, and it really depends on the person. Labels are always a needlessly touchy issue.