1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your hardest person to tell

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dlud, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Dlud

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So i've come out like 10 times in the last couple weeks and to be honest it hasnt really gotten easier. My 2nd hardest person my mom went really bad and i'm telling my hardest person my conservative dad tomorrow. I don't even think I'm asking a question I just had to say this.

2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck on telling your dad. I know it can be really hard sometimes, and I've had to come out to some really aggressive and difficult people, but keep your head up. The relief you will feel when it's all over will be so worth it and you'll never have to come out to them again. You got this.

#2 Kodo, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It gets easier in some ways, but at the same time it doesn't. I started coming out about a year ago, and even though I know everybody at my work would be cool with it, it's very scary thinking about coming out at work. At the same time, most coming outs for me now are much easier than they were a year ago.

Good luck telling your dad. I hope he is able get over it :slight_smile: My dad is fairly conservative and has said things in the past about gay people that have really hurt my feelings. But he actually took my coming out and (later on) me telling him about my bf much better than I ever dreamed. It's much easier to say mean things about a generalized group of people (LGBT) compared to somebody you know and love :slight_smile:

4. Robishere

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The person I was the most scared to tell was my best friend. He's your stereotypical straight boy and has a very fragile sense of masculinity. I spent 2 years building up the courage to tell him. When I told him, his only question/concern was whether I had feelings for him or not (which I didn't). I was honest and told him that I'd thought about it but knew that we'd only ever be friends and that's all I wanted us to be. After that, he started acting strangely. Once, he invited me to the movies and usually we'd just go by ourselves but he ended up inviting another friend of ours without telling me and literally asked her to sit between him and I in the movie theater. We're not really friends anymore and yeah it was hard at first but time definitely did heal and I've never loved myself more than I love myself right now.

closeted13 likes this.
  5. closeted13

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Telling my mom is gonna be the hardest, by far. I'm her only child. She's extremely homophobic. I'm hoping I won't have to come out properly,, but that she'll come to realise it gradually once I'm in a steady relationship. I honestly think that will be easier on us both, and it will leave her with the benefit of the doubt, until perhaps I'd get married, in which case she would realise it fully. And she'd have to deal with it.

My grandmother is also going to be hard to come out to. She's equally homophobic. Likewise, I hope she just gradually realises that I'm in love with another woman, and how that is okay. But I think my grandma will come around quicker than my mom, though it's impossible to tell. They both love me very much, so I know they will try their best, but I'm sure they'll go into denial and claim it's only a phase. And that's gonna be very hard.

Who knows whether they'll ever accept it fully. Due to their homophobia I'm soon moving quite far away. And I might stay living far away, and then they'd never really find out about my being gay.

Yay. I have many things to look forward to, hah!

6. closeted13

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Good luck OP

7. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It will get easier, it's just still early days. I think my parents were the hardest to tell. Generally speaking I think the people closest to you are hardest because you have the most to lose.

SevnButton likes this.
  8. theamos13

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The hardest person I had to tell was my wife. If I would have told her a long time ago it would have been easier. The longer you wait the harder it gets.
    I am not out to a lot of ppl but the ones I did come out to all where like ok and that was it. If they don’t accept you they don’t need to be in your life

9. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Besides myself? (still working out whether I'm changing my label on EC from "straight" to "bisexual" for example).
    Telling my wife was a no-brainer (for me), but I knew it would be hard since the roller coaster she is now on is not easy to watch. I love her, and it hurts to see her going through the shock now that I've said "bisexual" to her.

10. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I came out to just a few people a long, long time ago, then gradually quit trying. Coming out to someone has the potential to change your relationship with that person, so at some level it's a matter of being willing to let go of the old form of the relationship.
    I'm really impressed with the courage you all on this thread show. I'm really scared to tell my wife and kids my truth.

11. anonmember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me, my friends are probably gonna be the hardest people to tell because I'm worried of what they will think and most of my friends are guys so that makes it even harder. I know all of the people in my immediate family care about me regardless and won't spread the word so it was pretty easy to tell them.

#11 anonmember, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
  12. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My old roommate. He and his then-gf (now wife) are super Catholic and he'd said some negative things about fem gays in the past. Plus there was the awkwardness of us living together.

But he knew something was up when I kept leaving the house, and finally I was like yeah I'm seeing someone and it's a guy. He was totally cool with it, as was she when I told her. My bf and I were at their wedding a year later.

13. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My Mom was easily the most nerve-wracking. I knew deep down that she would be accepting but I couldn't help but worry that she wouldn't accept me. At the time, my abusive father was still living with us and so at home, the only person I could rely on and be happy with was my mom and I was absolutely terrified of losing that. Luckily for me, things did go well but I can still remember how terrified I was.

14. MartyMcP

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Probably my family.. what's left of it... I don't think my mom would understand and I'd be told to "keep it a secret".. ummm I'm 42, not 4. My sis would be the next hardest, she's religious, and didn't see the necessity of me changing my name. When I kinda inquired her opinion.

So called friends from my town? Nope. They'd write me off, after they tell me they would "pray for me" They'd also pressure my partner to leave me.

My partner knows ( and is completely fine with it. I have one friend I know would have no problem with it.

But I want to come out! Moving soon so I'm hoping our new town will be more open.

Good luck to you OP. I hope it goes better than you expect

15. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The hardest was my mom by far. It didn't go well. I actually had to do it twice because the first time she got mad and it scared me enough to make me take it all back and say I was actually straight still like she wanted. We don't talk anymore.

Another hard one if I ever figure out a way to do it is telling one of my brothers. I don't think he would be mad really, but he has severe autism so it's going to be hard just getting him to actually understand what it means at all. It's going to end up being like explaining what gay means to a young child who doesn't understand relationships or sexuality of any kind.