Young and Confused

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by OneLittlePoet, Jul 10, 2013.

1. OneLittlePoet

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As the title may suggest, I'm rather young (14), though perhaps not as young as some people when they come to terms with their orientation. For the past while I had decided I was lesbian, beforehand telling a few of my friends that I was bisexual, and then realizing that I had little to no attraction to men. The past few days, however, have been a real struggle for me, and I'm not sure if it's because my OCD is acting up or if I'm genuinely having a problem with my label.
    I have been with a few guys before (rather short-term relationships), but I was mostly in the relationship because I liked the feeling of being liked. Around seventh grade, I started realizing that I had crushes on girls, whereas before I thought having a crush meant being able to tolerate being in a relationship with someone. This wasn't a huge shock to me, because I come from an accepting family and had no problem with liking girls.
    However, given the idea that I plan on coming out to my family soon, I am absolutely terrified to think of falling in love with a guy somehow. I'm normally not attracted to guys, but there have been thoughts the past few nights that maybe because I'm not absolutely repulsed by the thought of being with a guy that I'm not actually homosexual, which I know probably sounds ridiculous. I am more attracted to girls than I am guys, I cannot see myself in a long-term relationship with a guy, but I think there is a slight chance that I may one day choose to be in a relationship with a guy. I'm just not sure if I can deal with the embarrassment of telling my parents that I'm a lesbian and then having to say "Whoops, just kidding!"
    Does anybody have advice for a frustrated teenager that can't seem to leave the subject alone?

2. rjrh20

When I came out to my dad he said that he understands that I am young and if I turn out bi or straight that that would be fine do idk. I don't think this help but I tried. And welcome to EC!!!

3. OneLittlePoet

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you! For both the welcome and the advice. After a bit of thinking, I realized I'm having anxiety problems right now, which are causing me to question my orientation. Even if I do turn out liking guys one day, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I'm glad I found this website, and will definitely be back soon!

4. Kamina

Yea, really, no worries I'm 17 and just figuring out I'm a lesbian! Personally I still can find a guy attractive I'm just not attracted to them. You will probably grow into it more and EC is a wonderful place to figure all these things out!
    :welcome: to the community!