1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You and your doctor - a poll

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tightrope, Nov 24, 2013.

?

You and the gender of you doctor

Poll closed Apr 23, 2014.
  1. Under 35 - male and have a male doctor

16 vote(s)
    31.4%
  2. Under 35 - male and have a female doctor

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. Under 35 - female and have a male doctor

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. Under 35 - female and have a female doctor

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
  5. 35 and over - male and have a male doctor

5 vote(s)
    9.8%
  6. 35 and over - male and have a female doctor

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  7. 35 and over - female and have a male doctor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 35 and over - female and have a female doctor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Another situation applies - explain if you care to

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What is your gender and what is the gender of your doctor?

BONUS question: Will you be keeping your current doctor after Jan. 1, 2014? (If you know).

A couple of things (closed poll):
    - I'm using the 35 y.o. age cut-off again
    - If you identify by other than male or female, you can use the last option and explain, if you care to.
    - You can use the last option if you identify as male and female and these don't fit.

I'm a male over 35 who prefers a male doctor and that's what I currently have. However, I would prefer a compassionate female doctor to a male doctor who is not.

I may very well have to change doctors after Jan. 1, 2014. It will take some research, but I think I can do better.

#1 Tightrope, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  2. Hexagon

Why do you have to change doctors?

3. Fiddledeedee

Huh. Why are you asking?

Anyway, I don't have a regular doctor or GP -- we just go for whoever is available that we have some experience with as being good. They might be male or female. I do have a regular consultant, though, and she's female. We were sent to a male one first, which would have been fine too, but it turned out to be an administrative error.

And I will be sticking with her into the new year, provided she doesn't go anywhere.

4. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I think we have a family doctor, but we have never been asked or went to check ups before.. last time I've been to the GP was over 10 years ago.. Is that bad??

5. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a rumor going around about the new Health Care Law that supposedly you can't keep your doctor.

I'm 18, and when I was back home, I had a female doctor, and most guys my age would give anything to have her do a hernia check. When I moved out here, my doctor was just whichever doctor had an opening the next day, because I needed to see one so badly that I didn't care who I got.

It's an older gentleman, maybe mid-50's, who was hit hard by the regulation that all records now have to be kept electronically. He types with two fingers, at about one word a minute, so half your appointment is spent examining you, and the other half is him filling out your chart. He also doesn't use gloves for some reason. He ran his hands over my back and shoulders with no gloves when I had chronic itching back in September.

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The way my insurance plan will be reconfigured on Jan. 1, 2014, so I can take advantage of a nominal copay for doctor visits.

7. bonus - I may try to change - I am not liking the current situation - they assigned me a doctor when I moved into town and the doctor they gave me is only in the office two days a week - I don't like this at all

he is good with a number of things. worked out nice with the first visit, affable, understood many of my problems - did not have a problem with my orientation (yes I addressed this) - don't want him tasking about certain things.

I did not think it would be a problem since on the form for registering for sex the office has three choices Male/female/other :eusa_clap

that threw me

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To see if people are comfortable both disrobing and being probed by their physician, and to see if they have an empathetic bond with their physician based on gender.

---------- Post added 24th Nov 2013 at 09:49 AM ----------

It's a good thing. I never used to go. I now go 3x a year (he wants to see me every 4 months).

---------- Post added 24th Nov 2013 at 09:52 AM ----------

You're partly correct. I am able to keep my insurance, although the plan features will be a little different, and I can go my doctor as out-of-network and pay quite a bit for those 3 visits I need per year, or I can go to a doctor in-network (per a new list) and pay a nominal copay. My in-network doctor has gone out-of-network with the new year. At the new price for a copay, I would have kept him. At full fare, I may not be keeping him.

#8 Tightrope, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  9. Ruthven

Well, when I get a job, i'm gonna get with Fenway Health cause they seem to be all about LGBTQ+ peeps and stuff, and I want to have doctors that I'm comfortable with and who'll definitely treat and deal with me right. And they have informed consent for testosterone which is the main reason I'm choosing them cause you got to be with them to do that.

So yeah, when I switch over to them, that'll probably be next year. And i don't care what gender they are...I think. I don't know, as long as they're nice and not stupid about stuff I'll be fine with whoever I end up with.

10. female and got a male dr.

Welll.... there are others i just always seem to see that dr as he knows my health best.
    guy drs are so much easier to talk to for me anyway :s

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Interesting. Me too. But I've had some real jerks among male doctors, too.

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My doctor is a young and inexperienced man, and although I feel comfortable around him, I leave most medical things to my mother (my mother sorts out 95% of my illnesses, because she's a very experienced senior nurse)

It's a bit appalling at how doctors aren't really that amazingly competent; most GPs diagnose just as well as any layperson can. Hospital doctors are pretty amazing, though.

13. not for me - I deal in all cases in everything with womyn better - I just can't find a female doctor I may just try to find one

in fact I refuse to have a male therapist outright - I would rather just sit and stew in suicidal depression than talk to a man

14. Sarcastic Luck

I'm biologically female, mentally male, and currently have a male doctor. He's fantastic since he actually sits down, asks me questions about my health, and is interested in what I might want to do about health issues. My prior doctor was a woman and I hated going to see her. Absurdly long wait times in both the waiting room and the exam room. Plus she was more interested in what I was doing in life than what I was coming to see her for. She also tended to put me on medication that my step-sister was on.

To say the least, I'm fairly happy that the practice fired her.

15. jrblue

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    In my experience male doctors are a little bit more forward and the female doctors I've had generally like to candy coat things and beat around the bush.

16. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Female doctors I've had have either sugar coated and/or been kinder ... or have been way more brusque. Male doctors have been somewhere in the middle. I've only had one male doctor whose first question to me was offensive and intrusive. It must have been from reading my questionnaire and seeing I'd never been married. I wish I had told him that "the only reason someone as ugly as you has a wife is because you have the letters MD after your name." No apologies. He was inappropriate. It would have been interesting to see what he would have said. I'm sure he would have asked me to select another primary care physician.

17. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm more comfortable with female doctors. They're easier to talk to and more personable.

18. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I don't have a regular GP, but the one I see often is female and I don't like her all that much. She cares more to ask about my personal life rather than my medical issues, and she's somewhat unprofessional. Before my proper diagnosis, she attempted to diagnose me with depression using an online test she found on her phone. I much prefer the male doctors I've had.

My endocrinologist, on the other hand, I visit on a weekly basis since I have routine bloodwork and checkups because of testosterone and making sure my levels are all fine. Usually the one who works with me is female, but there's also a male endocrinologist who does my bloodwork, and I like both of them equally. Probably because they're used to trans patients and practice hospitality.

19. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is probably a very good strategy if there are any resentment issues or even the worry that something against the other gender could slip. I think it would make the therapist less invested in you and "countertransference" could set in. That's MY opinion. I am very cautious about therapists with whom one might be at odds on core demographic issues. Even with the same gender, it's good to investigate conflicts of interest up front. However, yes, with a therapist, especially with GLBT folks, I think the gender of the practitioner, and comfort level, is more important since the relationship is more than a 20 minute check-up every once in a while if one is in reasonably good health.

20. justjade

I see a female nurse practitioner for my prescriptions, and my therapist is female. It's a bit uncomfortable with the nurse practitioner because I'm pretty sure she thinks I'm crazy. She calls my transgenderism "gender" issues, and I don't think she believes I'm trans. I'm convince she thinks I'm confused, but as long as she orders my prescriptions to be filled, I guess it doesn't matter. That's literally the only reason I see her. The dentist I plan to start seeing is a man, which I think is going to be nice.