1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JT7314, Feb 4, 2015.

1. SomeLeviathan

while I agree that a private business has no obligation to promote hate speech, viewing "free speech" and "censorship" as things that only the government can do is simplistic. For example, extralegal actions can limit free speech, like when white supremacists groups lynched protesters during the Civil Rights movement.

2. DMark69

In a case like the white supremacist groups you mentioned, the crime is not surpressing speech, but Murder, and threat of violence (Lynching). The first amendment, however only prevents the government from restricting free speech.

3. lily42

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    :l i never though about it that way

4. SomeLeviathan

um no, a white supremacist group that is lynching someone is not just suppressing the political speech of that person, they are using intimidation techniques to scare everyone else in that community with those views into not speaking. This is suppression of freedom of speech, no matter how you cut it. You've completely missed the point of my post. Viewing "freedom of speech" solely in the lens of the 1st amendment is 1. an incredibly Ameri-centric way to view the world and 2. also misses the poitn of the language game what people mean when they say "freedom of speech"

5. DMark69

I covered that in my post: Lynching = Murder. The rest are intimidated by "threat of violence" which is the crime.
    As for my post being Americ-centric, I am an American, I cannot speak to other countries laws, as I don't live there. I was merely pointing out that "freedom of speech" that we Americans claim to enjoy, is only really protected from the government restricting us. Again in the case of the lynching, there were already laws in place against the violence and intimidation. There have been times in our past where certain laws were not enforced as they should have been, allowing these intimidations to occur. This selective enforcement was also a crime. I won't claim our system is the best, only that it is what we have.

6. lemons123

I think he is dumb.

No business can survive forever if said business is homophobic. racist, xenophobic or just discriminatory. Yes, it's not illegal...but so what? Stoning of women isn't illegal in Iran too, should we applaud it then?