1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you go or have gone to a single sex college or university?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tightrope, Dec 6, 2013.

?

Would you go or have gone to a single sex college or university?

Poll closed Apr 5, 2014.
  1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    28.9%
  2. No

52 vote(s)
    62.7%
  3. Unsure - other - explanation

7 vote(s)
    8.4%
  1. ChloeAllison

I don't think it really matters for college. As Filip said...its sort of like a job and less like high school.

That being said I went to an All girls Catholic school in high school and I highly disagree the single sex schools are better for self esteem. Most of the time I think girls feel pressure from other girls, not boys. At my school the girls would be the ones pressuring each other to be thinner, or prettier, or more popular. The guy friends I had outside of school were the ones who would be most likely to reassure you that you were amazing and act like real friends. All girls schools just bred pettiness in my opinion.

^Want to make clear that I am not saying guys are better friends then girls. Just saying removing guys from the situation doesn't take away the pressure to perfect.

2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good points.

3. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

There is a lot of research that shows that women's colleges produce a disproportionate number of female leaders across all fields, so for women to decide to go to an all women college might be a very good choice.

That doesn't mean that if a woman goes to an all women college then they will just become awesome, but the elite women colleges do to tend to foster very strong women leaders.

Me personally, I wouldn't do it just because I don't get a long with most guys so having to interact with only guys all the time would kill me.

4. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My friends at all-girls Catholic schools have pretty much the same attitude. And I'm not sure if it's a coincidence, but the highest rate of teen pregnancy and suicide in Canberra is in Catholic girls schools.

5. binda94

I actually don't know I know i'd rather a mixed coz from age 6-16 I was at an all girls school and was some serious tensions so it'd be a new experience something we're all encouraged in life

6. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've never gotten girls, anyways. I would not mind going to an all guys school.
    Of course, if anyone tried to make me go to a girls school, they'd be sent on a little trip to Jupiter.
    But the prestigious schools are co-ed, and I don't mind co-ed schools, either.

7. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have no idea. We are talking "maybes" about a chapter of my life that took place in the 1st half of my life. And yes, that realization makes me feel old. [Pause to adjust hearing aid. Also clobber young whipper snapper with both my canes.]

That said...I doubt it. At least at that point in my school life. I was used to co-ed schools. Anything different would have felt strange.

---------- Post added 9th Dec 2013 at 05:02 PM ----------

Somehow I'm not surprised. Particularly with all-women colleges. Indeed, thinking of it, historically women's colleges would have been a liberal/progressive cause. Even once that was accepted, I'm sure many people felt it was better for women to go to co-ed institutions so they have a better chance to meet someone to marry. Indeed, I'm sure that finding a suitable spouse was probably the only reason many women got sent to college. And not too many years ago, either.

---------- Post added 9th Dec 2013 at 05:09 PM ----------

Of course someone who is gay in the closet would find one advantage of a single sex college. There would be no questioning from people if you have a girlfriend at the college, and if not, why not?

8. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would, but I don't have strong opinions about it either way. If I went to one, I'd be glad; since I don't go to one, I don't regret that I chose a coed university.

As much as it'd be nice to have more of the same sex around for those of us who are interested in the same sex, it might not be conducive to relationships anyway.

9. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Being pre-transition, where the hell does it leave me? Single sex colleges are stupid- better have the best of both worlds, you know? Used to get a lot of recruitment shit from womens' colleges, since a good chunk of them are homeschooler friendly. To be honest, I actually considered one since it was one of the most cost effective options I had. This was before I had fully figured out my gender but I ultimately dropped the idea cold because I couldn't see how being in a women's college would be comfortable for me.

But to add onto this, don't think I'd mind an all mens' school. But co-ed's preferable.

10. Falklands Sheep

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, if the institution is a good one and worth it, why not? I go to uni to study, not to meet people.

Besides, I'm bi, so one way or another I'll end up with a partner at some point.