1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you donate to a sperm bank?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyPup, Feb 23, 2016.

?

Would you donate to a sperm bank?

1. Yes, I would make a deposit.

40.0%
  2. No, but I'd make a withdrawal.

37.1%
  3. I do not produce sperm, and would do neither.

22.9%
  1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Again, I'd totally do it, but found out I don't have desirable enough traits to be paid well enough...I'm not tall enough, and have bad eyes...but if it could bring in extra money, I'd be donating daily! I was reading where you have to be 6 feet tall, and all this other BS. Ah, well...it was an idea. I'm always trying to find ways to be less poor...

2. EnchanterForest

I would do the opposite since I am a DFAB, I would donate my eggs instead. And same if I was a DMAB

3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I won't do it because I heard of this story in Oklahoma. See what happened is in Oklahoma, these 2 gay moms got enseminated by the same man and then they tried suing him for child support, quit there jobs and applied for welfare because they weren't married and they had kids. #LazyGayMoms!

4. Wolfie0001

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I wouldn't. I don't want kids of my own, and it would feel weird to know that there are potentially several children of mine out there.

Also, I don't really know what the laws are here in Germany about keeping records and the rights of children to meet their 'donors' or to receive child support. But can you imagine opening the door one day to suddenly come face to face with two dozen people who decided to get together and meet their biological daddy?

5. Xvision

Never in my life would I ever donate my babies. My babies are my precious. (*hug*)

6. PrivateUser

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I was once approached to donate sperm to a high caliber (their rating) sperm bank based on my IQ - I was an active member of British Mensa at the time. They paid, but didn't want to pay the costs of transporting me from Germany to London three times for the tests and then the actual first donation. What became of the venture I have no idea, but I don't think the IQ level of the average Brit has gone through the roof as yet...

7. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would, but I don't produce sperm.

8. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
  9. thepandaboss

If I could I would. But I'm kind of ugly so I don't know if anyone would want my jizz.

10. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't get paid to do that here, so more than likely not.

11. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. In the UK your "children" have a right to track you down. This could be problematic in so many ways.

12. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would donate, but I doubt anyone would prefer my sperm lol. Even I'd pity the poor sod who gets my genes :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#32 Ram90, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  13. 741852963

No, and that is part of the reason.

1. Like you say the requirements are very high and it all seems to go way beyond "helping couples who want children" instead being more "helping couples who want perfect children" - it seems a bit "eugenics-ish" to me. Sperm banks often turn away ginger haired donors for instance which is wrong.
    2. A lot of sperm banks are pretty disrespectful to their donors/men. Despite this being a serious donation the websites are riddled with crude humor at the expense of men as apparently they think being "blokey" attracts donors (London Sperm Bank even has a penis in the logo for Christ's sake!). That is enough to put me off! I'm an adult not an 11 year boy.
    3. I don't like the idea of fathering random kids I'll not be responsible for
    4. There is a serious risk of future inbreeding as donations are often used repeated times in the same area.
    5. There is no longer donor anonymity in the UK which is a bit crazy. Post the age of 18 the child is free to contact you, and who knows what they will be like. They could turn up out of the blue angry, violent, begging for money, demanding a relationship etc. That is a pretty big risk.

So big nope.

---------- Post added 5th Mar 2016 at 12:04 PM ----------

I see what you are saying, but what is stopping the couples who cannot have children from adopting instead?

Surely infertile straight couples are pretty similar to gay people in that they cannot conceive naturally, thus adoption should be an option for both?

And there are people who cannot have kids for numerous other reasons. I wouldn't feel personally obliged to pay a lumpsum of my money to a couple who couldn't afford a child (or an extra child) for example, so neither would I feel obliged to give an infertile couple my sperm. It is not like other donations which are life-necessary (blood, organs etc), having children in a society with healthy population growth is desirable but not absolutely life critical.

14. Kellian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If I could I would. I love helping people out, it just seems like the right thing to do. ^-^

15. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wouldn't do either so would have gone for option 3 except I do produce it so there wasn't really an option.

16. alonsy alonso

If i had the organs to do so i would and not for the money. i think it is in my mind a very rewarding thing to know that you have helped to create a family and you have helped to fulfill a couple or woman's dream. so yeah i would because in the end in my mind it would not be about how i would feel with a mini me it would be about how do i feel about helping someone start a family because i would not see myself as the father just a literal sperm donor.