1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would this be demigender, agender or genderfluid?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by WritingAce, Jan 16, 2015.

1. WritingAce

I was assigned female at birth and I've never really questioned that until recently, when I realized that I don't really feel like "female" is the right word for my gender. At the same time, I'm not too sure, because some days I don't mind being called a girl or having a female body, but other days, I feel very uncomfortable with my more feminine features (wider hips and breasts, for example).
    I looked up things on the Internet and found out about the term demigirl, and that fit me for a while, but it somehow still doesn't feel as accurate as it should, since some days I feel almost agender and some days I feel almost completely female.
    If this demigender, agender or genderfluid? (I know labels don't really matter in the end, but it would be nice to have a term to refer to myself as and it makes it easier to explain to others too.)

2. Hamlet

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not 100% sure, but that definitely sounds like genderfluid to me. Because it appears you fluctuate between a defined gender and a lack thereof, you may be genderfluid in that you move freely between a female and agender identity. Feel free to correct to me if I'm mistaken!

3. ThroughTheMist

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't know what the exact word is, but my experience is similar to yours. I'm AFAB, sometimes not comfortable with the more "feminine" aspects of my body, and don't always feel completely female, but sometimes I do. Other times I feel like I'm somewhere in between male and female.

I personally approach labels as things that I can pick up to describe myself, but they're not set in stone, and I can put them back down again if I find that they no longer fit me.

4. GreyArchery

I'd have to agree with Hamlet. From what you're describing, either genderfluid or demigirl would seem to be the better fit of terms. Since everyone defines everything differently (yay for the modality of language....), there's no one 'absolute' definition to any of the non-binary gender terms. I will say that a common use of genderfluid is someone whose gender fluctuates between male and female. Fluctuating between female and agender/neutral is the more common use of demigirl.

But as I said, language is every changing and no two people's definitions are going to match up 100% of the time. If demigirl doesn't seem to fit for you, genderfluid may work better.

From my understanding, agender people feel they are without a gender, and while they're gender expression (how they look, dress, and act) may fluctuate from time to time, inside and mentally they remain the same. If you've never come across the difference between gender identity and gender expression, I highly recommend you read this article: The Genderbread Person v2.0. It isn't likely to offer you any insight into the differences between demigirl, genderfluid, and agender, but it does give a very nice breakdown of all the different ways gender applies to an individual.

Best of luck on your journey. I know the folks here are always willing to help - don't be afraid to find people who identify as demigirl or genderfluid and message them on their walls. I've yet to come across someone who wasn't willing to offer advice or talk about their experiences. (&&&)

5. I think I feel very much the same like you! I sometimes don't mind being female, but other days I feel closer to being agender. I also don't feel like demigender describes me perfectly, but neither do agender and genderfluid to me. So I guess I can't really help you, but I thought you might like to know I'm feeling almost exactly the same, if I'm not mistaken. I don't know what else to say besides good luck with figuring out who you are, and don't go too deep into the labels.

6. ImaJen

I'm still questioning my gender too, and having researched around I found out about the term genderflux. It's not used very widely, so I thought I'd ask people about it on here, and as of yet no one seems to know much about it! From what I can understand it's a sort of subset of generfluid, where your gender identity changes in INTENSITY, as opposed to type. It's kind of the agender version of genderfluid, I think. I don't know if that helps much, but it's just another term to consider!