1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worried if I should tell my closest friends?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mina239, Oct 25, 2014.

1. mina239

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi~

So it was only recently that I was mostly 90% sure I was bisexual and it's been killing me having to keep this to myself. I usually tell my 3 best friends everything but with this, I'm really scared they'll become awkward or shocked and distance themselves from me.

The first time I had kissed a girl was when I was 12 and she was my best friend at the time. It was innocent to my friend (I think?) as she claimed she was teaching me to kiss but I had started feeling weirdly attracted to her after that and was confused about those feelings. I later tested my feelings again on another girl and felt that I was feeling the same amount of attraction in the kiss as I would when i kissed a guy. It's taken me three years to finally come to terms with my sexual orientation.

My friends know about the first kiss with my friend because our ex friend (who I had told the story to in confidence) had told my friends about it. They had hidden it and not been awkward about it for about it until I found out they knew a year later after my friendship with my ex friend ended. I told them it was just a one off thing and I think they believed me and told me they didn't care.

However, when they found out my ex friend had actually kissed a girl too during a dare. They were saying things about it like "Oh god, she is totally a lesbian" and "I bet she wanted to kiss her, she should just go out with her". (to be fair though, this was after we started disliking her).

This made me kind of wary since I had done the same thing and I thought that maybe they had been saying stuff about me in this way even though that may not be the case.

I'm worried if I tell them that I'm bisexual that they'll be awkward around me and think weirdly of me. Do you think it would be a good idea to tell them or not tell them at all?

I hate keeping something like this bottled up because I'm not ashamed of being bisexual, but I don't want to lose my friends in the process.

2. Haim

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Coming out to my best friends was the best thing I have done and lifted such a huge weight off my shoulders. I suddenly had people to confide in and didn't have to bottle things up. I knew my friends were going to be accepting to the idea, as they all have other gay friends/relatives and are supportive of them.

It sounds like you are still in your teens/high school? I was terrified at that age and was too scared to even properly come out to myself, so I admire your bravery. I don't have any advice as to if you should tell them, as it sounds like you've discovered with your ex-friend people can be awfully fickle at that age so it's more of a risk.

3. mina239

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you! ~ I think I'll just have to wait it out and see if there is a good time to tell them in the future.