1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will this freak them out?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by AaronMed, Feb 15, 2014.

1. AaronMed

Hey everyone,

So I want to have a sleepover with my boyfriend. We're gonna stay in at his place, get takeout, watch a rented movie, and cuddle the whole time :slight_smile:. But the problem is, I don't know how my parents will react.

My mom (and probably my dad too) equate sleepovers with sex. The funny think is, I've already had sex with him. Three times. We'll probably end up doing it this time too, but it's not like that's the point of seeing him. I take this relationship seriously, and I love him. At this point, my parents know that, but I don't want them to suddenly start getting freaked out by knowing that I'm sexually active.

How do I tell them I'm sleeping over without totally freaking them out?

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're 20, and you're out. Why should you be so worried about your parents, and why do you need to tell them you're sleeping over?

3. AKTodd

Er. Color me confused, but I seem to recall a past thread in which you were talking about having your parents go out for the evening so that you could have sex with the guy you were seeing at the time. From the way you wrote it, mt impression was that they knew perfectly well why you wanted them out of the house.

Regardless, you're out to your parents, you're 20yrs old, and they presumably know that you're dating this guy and/or have dated guys.

The 'our child has sex' ship (or maybe it's sister vessel, the 'our son has sex with dudes') probably sailed for them a long time ago.

As I recall, you live with your parents, so I understand wanting them to know where you are and that your OK when you don't come home for the night. But no need to make a big deal of it.

Something like 'I'm going to stay over ay X's house tonight/this weekend/on this day, here's his address, call me/text me if there's an emergency'. And then going on about your business seems like the simplest option.

My 2c worth,

Todd

4. Wildclover

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This.

At twenty your sex life is no longer their business; however, as long as you're in thier home you should be courteous and provide just enough information so they find go out of their minds with worry.

5. man dolen

Easy, just tell them that you're going out with friends, then call and tell them that you're going to stay over at your bf's house because you're really tired.

6. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This, absolutely.

7. AaronMed

You're all very right, thanks for the advice. I told my mom and she's okay with it. I asked her if it would freak my dad out and she thought that it might a little. She said it's be better to give my dad short notice because that way he won't have time to work himself into a tizzy about it, and I agree. I'm sleeping over with my bf on Satirday, so I'll tell my dad in a couple of days. Any suggestions on how to phrase it in a way that won't make his mind jump directly to the thought of me having sex?