1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why were you in denial?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by shootingstar, Oct 6, 2015.

1. SuperAnonymouse

I'm trying to figure out right now if I've been denying my sexuality.

I have extremely poor self esteem, always have. Everyone is better than me, deserves more than me, that type of thing. I was not well liked in elementary and middle school because I had ADHD and in general the other kids just found me very strange. This led to practical jokes and insults, taunts... I'm sure a lot of people here understand that because we break the mold.

I think I always thought I couldn't be a lesbian because it was too special, too good for me. Now, after 6 1/2 years of struggling to feel anything, anything at all in a hetero marriage I am ready to throw all denial to the wind and figure it out for myself.

2. TheRealTheaJane

This!!

I was also in denial because... well... firstly the conservative family I was raised in, and secondly because I didn't want any of the ensuing complications! I wanted to be nice and normal *despite being crazy day to day anyway*. Also, I didn't feel the strongest of dysphorias for a long time.

The denial stopped when the dysphoria grew. I learnt there was no way to escape who you are! :eusa_danc

3. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Who knows why really- a number of factors, scared of people's reactions, wanting to fit in, societal pressures, pressure from family/friends, expectations, etc. Can't pinpoint why so much, but at one point for sexuality and now for gender, I just can't deny some things to myself anymore. It's not worth pushing such important parts of me away, even if I have to struggle in some areas of my life because of it.