1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why hate? excuses or reasons?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Hope4love, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Hope4love

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Why is it that the majority of straight people hate sexual minorities? I want to know the main reasons if not excuses other than religion.
    because in where I live, it's also the fear of having a bad reputation, so what are some other reasons?

2. tystnad

tystnad Guest

a lot of people take offence with other people being “different” - they’d like to see the world existing of people who conform to what they consider the norm, and existing of only limited categories that no one ever tries to step out of... and being lgbt doesn’t typically exist in that very normative worldview, which is often determined by religion even if the people are no longer religious (for example, american and european societies do still have christian values no matter how secular they are). that can result in reactions that every man should marry a woman and that it’s abnormal for them to want anything else (when not using religion as a reason for this, the argument of “matching genitalia” or reproductivity is used), but also in a response that’s very common in more progressive countries: “i’m okay with people being gay as long as they don’t ACT too gay” because “acting gay” is generally used to mean breaking even more category barriers down by, for example, being gender non-conforming. or, not unheard of is the argument “it’s ok if someone is gay as long as they don’t publicly show affection” which is again just a way of saying...... not living up to the idea what’s “normal” is ok as long as they don’t have to be confronted with it.

for people who can look beyond that i suppose negative stereotypes and poor media representation also plays a large role (often in combination with the above too), i guess. if the only idea you have of lgbt people is what you see in the media, it isn’t typically too great. that’s changing of course but it’s still not perfect, and media plays a HUGE role in shaping the way we see the world (scholars disagree about how exactly this works and to what extent it does but the idea of “innocent entertainment” is not particularly popular in the field anymore).

they’re explanations, not excuses though... people can educate themselves and learn to think for themselves and then change the way they feel about lgbt issues. society is heavily build on power structures, and straight people as a group does enjoy some societal privileges over lgbt people that they don’t always want to give up on which kind of gets in the way of that. they have the privilege of not usually being forced to really challenge their ideas of “normal” when it comes to sexuality because they don’t have to experience the pain of it themselves. an lgbt people is FORCED to be confronted with the way society thinks about these things... straight people do not. so they can afford to be against anything that doesn’t fit their idea of “normal” much more easily..

Hope4love likes this.