1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why does it take some lesbians along time to figure out their lesbian ?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by stocking, Jun 22, 2014.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    bisexuality never impiled that you had to date both or go out with both and it's not missleading if a bisexual woman only date women there are bisexual women that date only men and sleep with women so what's wrong if it's the other way it's around what are bisexual women so scared of if they only like women for relationships are you scared of the men telling you your not bisexual ?:confused: another thing is calling yourself a lesbian is you make it look like lesbians sleep with men and that's not cool lesbians already have a lot to deal with on there plate we don't need people making this myth look real I get harass by men on a daily basis and one of the reason I hadn't come out is this crap that gets thrown around and I'm honestly sick of it . Yes bisexuality has a lot of stigma but that is not a reason to run and hide if you want people to change their mind about bisexual show them that your not the stigma by being your true self . And some people can be cut and dry it's called being a lesbian when you don't want anything sexual to do with a guy if you want sex with both men that's what makes us different from bisexual women we have no desire to sleep with men . and women you are bisexual bisexuality never said how much you needed to like both sexes or that you should date both . Now the funny thing is now your creating a new stigma for lesbians now people will think we're bisexual now .
    Lesbian only like women
    bisexual likes both men and women sexually
    call yourself what you want but stop running around saying lesbian like sleeping with men because we don't .
    Would I be bisexual then if I was only sexually attracted to women and want nothing to do with men ? because by your logic I can call myself a bisexual even if I'm not one .
    and if a gay person thinks it's easy to come out as bi even if their not then shouldn't they be able to do that if they want ? because you can use labels the way you want without caring how it affects the community
    When you say you don't want to date both men and women and it makes some not bi because they don't want to date both don't you know your feeding into a stigma about bisexuals that they date both at the same time .
    would you then say a straight man that sleeps with men is still straight because he called him self straight ? Oh wait you'll call him gay because I guess in your mind only women can be fluid right . Which I honestly think is the huges myth ever because I'm pretty sure if we put a woman in the same example I guess she's just straight and not bi because it's just sex .
    Because sex doesn't count in sexual orientation funny but I wonder why is it called sexual orientation if who you sleep with doesn't count at all

#21 stocking, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  2. TheStormInside

Um.. you completely misinterpreted my post, Stocking. I am saying sometimes neither label fits a person precisely and in those instances it's up to that person how they identify. And (to me) what makes most sense is to identify by who you see yourself having any kind of activity (be it random hookups, dating, or longterm relationships) with. I also said explicitly in my post that a woman who has sex with men and women should not identify as lesbian, even if they only want to date women, because they are still having sex with men, which negates the "lesbian" label.

I also never said anything about bisexuals dating women and men at the same time... I meant throughout their lifetime, not that they are juggling partners.

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well your right I misinterpreted sorry about that forgive I've had a shitty month with men using this bull crap fluidly crap on me to get in my pants so sorry for getting upset .
    But now I get what your saying thanks for clearing it up . :icon_bigg

4. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

In response to some of these repliers....

I don't really think sexuality implies relationships. One of my female friends is bisexual, but yet she's aromantic. Meaning she has no romantic or emotional attraction to men or women, doesn't ever want a boyfriend/girlfriend, and only 'uses' men/women for casual sex.

I feel like romantic attraction is irrelevant in sexuality. I could possibly have the capability to fall in love with a man OR a woman, but even if I had a boyfriend that I loved with all my heart...I could never have sex with him. It would be repulsive. So I would still identify as lesbian because sexual attraction trumps emotional attraction.

#24 Fallingdown7, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2014
  5. confused04

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    this thread is relevent to my interests. i am 33, and have been questioning my sexuality on and off since i was 21. I have now resigned to the fate that I actually will never know, and continue my life in isolation.

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    One of the things I've found most puzzling:confused: is when a lesbians ends up having romantic feelings for one guy in her life everyone would push her to label herself as bi even if she never felt it for other guys ever in her life and just that one man and tell her she's not a lesbian and can even risk being called a traitor or even kicked out of the lesbian community .
    but if a woman is bisexual and just sleeping with men and just dating women she gets a pass to call herself a lesbian even though she's bi .
    but the first girl I described would be kicked out forever just for that one guy .
    sure figuring out your sexuality is tricky that's for sure . even if your lesbian or bisexual .

---------- Post added 25th Jun 2014 at 06:04 PM ----------

Lol I thought like you when I was a teen I use to think everyone was fluid and a bit bi back then , now I kinda figured out that's not the case and far from the truth

7. TheStormInside

It's all right, glad it makes more sense now.

You've just described my relationship with my ex bf quite succinctly :lol: . I guess I feel a little murkier in the area of romantic vs. sexual attraction. I feel like even if there are discrepancies in a person's romantic vs. sexual attractions, where the Venn diagram intersects is where your "orientation" usually lies, practically speaking. But maybe that is what you are implying, as well?

8. confused04

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    What I like to know is HOW do you know you are sexually attracted to anyone? I'm not sure I've ever known that. (In case you couldn't tell, I am a virgin)

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    One thing I'm sure is not sexual attraction if this helps is if you think a guy or girl looks handsome or good looking or attractive to me it doesn't count as sexual attraction
    sexual attraction is desire to have sex with a person .
    but some people think thinking some one looks good or hot is sexual attraction and that's why I've seen some gays and lesbians label themselves a kinsey scale 5 and that's why I think 5's are still gay .

10. confused04

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I agree, I don't think looking at a person and think they are good-looking counts as sexual attraction. The thing I don't get is how you know if you want to have sex with someone. Maybe because I don't ever get close to other people (since college), who knows.

11. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

It doesn't even have to be a attraction to a specific person. I don't think that for any strangers/friends, since It's a creepy though. I think you find out your sexuality from fantasies and what genders you know for a fact you want to sleep with in the future.

12. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's kinda like a feeling you get in your genitals where you want bond with someone but with your body .

13. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    This is a question I've wondered myself many times actually. I knew I was drawn to girls in childhood before I even understood what attraction really was, and when I did begin to understand about sexual attraction in my early teens I never had any qualms about my feelings for women. The real area of confusion was if I had any feelings towards males. I could be and still can be to an extent 'attracted' to men who display a feminine characteristic, appearance, personality etc but as soon as they did something masculine I was immediately put off, thus I was aware that it was very unlikely I would be able to find one I'd want to have sex with. Still however I assumed that at some point I would meet a man I could sleep/have a relationship with and thus assumed the label of lesbian didn't fit me. It has only been in my 20s now that I look at the idea of relationships (including those relationships that are purely sexual) with a more realistic outlook and realise that just wouldn't work out. Since focusing my attention on my attraction to females it makes much more sense.

In my case however there were other factors in play, such as health problems of myself and my mother taking top priority and making the idea of any kind of relationship with either gender nonviable. As well as the fact that being quite a loner and having never fully identified as either female or male I never really felt the need to conform or come up with explanations anyway, so perhaps I just didn't feel pressed to ask myself as many questions about my orientation as someone who felt under pressure to have a definitive answer.

14. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    being that your genderless too that can cause some confusion

15. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I remember as a child I knew that boys were supposed to like girls and vice versa and had never heard of liking the same sex but even so when there was a girl I was very drawn to it didn't even occur to me as anything unusual, because I didn't see myself as a girl to begin with.

16. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I heard that as a girl too but for some reason I was more drawn to girls and my first kiss was with a girl .

I remember one guy on a blog had a definition that made more sense that the dictionary one about lesbians
    I think it was
    a woman who is attracted to women and female identified persons . I liked his definition of lesbian the best out of any I've ever saw . it makes it more easier for others to figure out if we defined it as that .:slight_smile:

17. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I like that definition as well :slight_smile:

18. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm glad you like it i wish I could find his blog ,:icon_sad: I think it's the best definition out there .

19. neutron

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you have any exception to this? Does your genital ever lie or response unexpectedly and you happen to notice?

20. lovely lesbian

I was always curious about women and their bodies when i was young but it's only now ive reailzed im gay