1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do some of us sometimes call the LGBT community the "Queer Community?"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MouseKeeper, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I think Super Rainbow Pals would be an acceptable alternative.

2. Foz

Foz Guest

I always thought that the 'Q' meant questioning. Oh well..

3. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    :lol:

I love it. Might make that my user title :slight_smile:

4. Lipstick Leuger

Thank you, the voice of reason.

#84 Lipstick Leuger, May 26, 2015
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
  5. KJA

KJA

Personally I hate the usage of "queer", it bring back a LOT of bad memories of elementary and high school. Almost as bad as "faggot". But that's just personal to me, still dealing with a lot of crap inside my skull atm from the bad old days...

6. AvatarRachel

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some are, some aren't. I personally amn't, but I prefer to say LGBT+ (the plus for people who aren't gay, bi or transgender but still are a part of the community) instead of queer because some people are offended by it, but sometimes I do say queer because LGBT+ doesn't seem to quite fit the context because of how long it is.

7. YinYang

I personally use the 'queer community' because I think that name includes all orientations, genders, etc. I don't want to insult people at all, but I personally like the term.

8. DeadheadPride

I use queer because it is an umbrella term for me. Yeah, it was an insult for us in the past, but now I feel like we've risen above and reclaimed the word, and that alone is another good reason to use it.

9. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let's see.

GSM- I don't like the term personally since it's too vague. Whenever I see it being used people like to lump beastiality and paedophilia into it and be like "hey it's a minority why can't we be included too?"- I realise that the majority of these people saying this are trolls, but I can't help of think about that whenever I hear the term being used.

LGBT+- Is my preferred term since it outlines all the terms and doesn't allow any room for people trying to give it disservice to the community by relating it to unrelated things (such as the things mentioned above) since they have nothing to do with the community, are completely different and it's downright disrespectful to compare such things to the LGBT+ community. I get that it's a long acronym, and that you can't exactly say all the letters all the time in casual conversation. But, it gives us the opportunity to explain and expand upon terms if asked by those curious to learn more about the community. True the + is a bit vague its self, but if you want to know what it includes you can always look it up, rather than just "gender and sex minorities" which has its problems as stated above.

Queer- has always been indifferent to me, I've only really come across it being used to mean strange in old books and movies. But aside from that, I don't hear it being used much in day to day life. However, from reading the posts above through out this thread, I'd rather stay away from this word all together.

10. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because queer originally meant different and not normal in terms of being commonplace.

Gay used to mean happy. Mad used to mean crazy.

Now we coopted the term to be a catch all for anyone who isn't cis heteronormative basically.

Well at least that's my understanding.

11. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Oh who cares what we call it no one is getting excluded from the movement because theres not a special letter for them in the acronym. I can call it the gay community and just as easily refer to everyone, anyone who interprets it literally as erasure or whatever is just going out of their way to be dramatic

12. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Due to how many letters are in the "official" acronym, I have taken to mentally calling us alphaghetti

13. palmer123456

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I hate that word, that is mainly used in a derogatory way and mainly by straight people
    to describe gay people or people who are different and quite frankly it's insulting.

14. Ryu

Ryu

I've necer heard that phrase used personally, but as 'Queer' is an umbrella term I'm nit suprised it's popped up. It's less of a mouthful than LGBT for starters..

15. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't see being different as a bad thing, especially considering I'm a minority in several ways, and took years to learn to accept myself.

16. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I just started calling it the "Qcommunity." Because I figured, "Q" can stand for Queer, or Questioning, or whatever you want it to stand for. IDK. people always will find some way to find it offensive.

17. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At least 35 letters I think. I really don't think the whole "lengthening the acronym to include everyone" thing is the best idea. The whole point of using an acronym is to make it shorter. At the same time, LGBT excludes many people in the community. I usually use LGBT+, though it still makes me feel a bit uncomfortable to treat people as "the others." I would use queer, but I know that it is a trigger word for some people. There is really no well-known perfect option at the moment.

18. Burnedcloset

In my original post in this thread I said I use LGBT or GSM

As of lately I use LGBTQ+ community. Or I use Queer community