1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why do people worry so much about labels?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by introspective, Jun 23, 2013.

1. introspective

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    if you like a guy, you like a guy! who cares what you are...?
    i never understood. for me, I'll joke about it but if I like a girl that should be a compliment not an offense.

especially when you're young, and not settling down-
    does it really matter how you identify? if it does, why bother to identify??

Lost xx

2. MerBear

some people prefer labels. some people hate labels. Some people dont see the point of them but All in all, Were just going to have to deal with it. Whether we like it or not.

If someone wishes to identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual, pansexual etc then let them.
    its not anyone else's decision to make that call

Harsh but true

3. introspective

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    i understand labels, but if all they do is stress the person out it seems a bit counterproductive.

4. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I like labels because they keep things nice and organized. They also give you a sense of belonging and something to be proud of. They also make it a lot easier to come out. Right now I can't figure out what label I am. Not having a label makes me feel lost and sick to my stomach.

5. MerBear

well, I mean....people aren't necessarily worried about the label ....they are worried about the description behind it.

Like "Gay" ...if you know what it means to be gay.....then it might stress you out (depending on the person and the situation)

The label...that's not what stress people out, Its what the label stands for.

and Labels just make things easier. LGBT is a label.

6. BreannaToBrian

I think the comments before me have explained labels in a better way than I could. I myself have just thrown my hands up and said "screw it." when it comes to sexual oriented labels. Labels involving gender identity I've found helpful, though. :rolle:

7. Envira

I agree. I have to say, it's not just the straight community that's desperate for labels, it's the LGBTQ community too. Or is it just me that feels a lot of pressure to find my specific orientation and come out to everyone? Does it really matter what gender(s) I'm attracted to?

8. earthlvr510

Honestly I totally agree, i dont see the point of labels. The only reason i use them is if i need an easily understandable way of telling someone who i am. I dont really follow any of them or give them much thought. Or try not to, sometimes its hard :wink: I dont think any lable really works for more than one person, everyone is differant so how can so may people fall under one label? I only use them as an easy way to talk to people about me, but all in all i consider them rather restrictive. Personally im all for breaking down any sort of barriers or sterotypes out there and lables are just one of those. sometimes there nice when you find one that describes you fairly well but there never totally acurate. Everyones differant, labeling yourself is just another way of conforming to societies need for putting people in neat little boxes.

9. Gen

Gen

Scientifically, you need sexual "labels" as you would any other adjective. They are simply a form of describing something.

In regards to the desire of most to use these labels on themselves, to those that ask why we should, I ask why we shouldn't? We are perfectly fine with using adjectives to describe the other various parts of us, but orientation seems to suddenly be where the line is drawn. That doesn't seem very objective...

Just because you use a phrase doesn't mean you're not labeling yourself. You are simply the "Girl who likes girls", rather than simply a lesbian. "A boy who likes boys and girls" then simply a bisexual/pansexual. Singular adjectives make explanations go along far more smoothly; that is something that can be denied.

You don't have to justify your opinions they are inapplicable to you, by claiming that they are of no use. It is completely fine to choose not to use any term(s) for your orientation, but their purpose is definitely there.

10. Leutheria

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Labels come in handy when you're describing your sexuality to someone else, or coming out. That's really all there is there for me. If I said, "I like chicks" it wouldn't stop that one guy from obsessively flirting with me, and if I say "I like chicks and not guys" why not just cut a couple syllables out and say "lesbian"?

When I first started figuring myself out, I was really stressed over labels. Specifically if I was "actually" a lesbian. Basically me being into girls and not guys meant I was a normal person, just gay, and if I wasn't gay I had some very pressing matters to attend to. (Such as why I was obsessively checking out girls in the locker room and not dating guys.) Anyway, in hindsight it should've been obvious. But society puts a label on you if you don't fit into one of the boxes, and that label is "broken." Which is stupid and puts a lot of stress on people who aren't sure where they fit.

I guess what I'm trying to say is labels are nice for identification but you shouldn't take them so seriously that it damages your self esteem. I'msorryit'slate.

Yeah, there's a shitload of pressure. It's sort of odd.