1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do people comment on my voice online, but not in real life?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Tritri, Mar 2, 2024.

1. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I used to make YouTube videos when I was a teenager, and the comments section had lots of people insulting my voice and telling me I sound gay. But nobody in-person has ever told me that I sound gay (or made any other comments about my voice).
    So is there any reason this could be the case? Is it simply that people are nicer in-person than on the internet?

2. Chillton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's easier for people to shit talk on the internet because there aren't any real life consequences for their actions. Most people would never behave like that in public and have the cahoonas to back it up . The internet is a toxic wild wasteland and those SOBs are attracted to that and thrive in it. People are generally nicer in person and the internet trolls never usually stray far from the online world because it gives them a false sense of power and security to do whatever they want.

Throughout your life you will be judged a lot by other peoples standards and expectations. I think my voice has been complimented as much as it's been insulted. So you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. The world is fickle and full of chaos and contraindications. The only thing you can do is stay true to yourself and your standards to guide you through until you gradually figure out meaning to all the madness.

wouldbeElliot and Sammy1995 like this.
  3. Sammy1995

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can confirm that people are a lot less edgy offline. Dunking on someone to their face tends to only occur when the person in question has beliefs that are entirely antithetical to your own. Most people would recognise that calling someone gay because of how they speak is pretty out of turn and makes them seem immature and mean spirited. Try not to let edgelords online get to you, I know that's easier said that done but sometimes it's worth it to simply disengage and not read those comments.

Chillton likes this.
  4. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for your replies. I'll add this: nobody in real life has ever (to my knowledge) known or suspected I was gay before they were told. Every now and then someone asks me a girlfriend question and I'm thinking "You think I'm into girls?"