1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do I sometimes have anxiety about my orientation and sometimes I’m fine?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by AnxiousReader, Apr 23, 2023.

1. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I’m going through a high anxiety period regarding my sexuality again. This happens almost every month and it’ll last for about a week or so usually and then it’ll go away for a while and I’ll feel fine again. Does anyone else experience this? I’m bisexual and I’m more into women but it’s during these periods of time that I get super worried and scared about being with a woman. I have anxiety in general, (generalized anxiety) and have dealt with it pretty much my whole life even before I knew my sexuality. Usually my anxiety physically manifests as having my fear triggered by something that causes me stress or worry and then I start to feel sick to my stomach and a lump in my throat like I might throw up. Usually not thinking about what makes me anxious will help but I’m really scared that since I worry about being with a woman that when I finally get to be with one in real life I’ll get sick from the anxiety and that I won’t be able to be physically intimate with them. I’m terrified I’ll go to kiss a woman and I won’t be able to enjoy it because I’ll be nauseous. What if I start gagging?! I’m really worried I’ll ruin what is something I truly want more than anything. I’m attracted to men but romantically my attraction is basically entirely to women only and I only want to be with a woman, but what if I can’t be with her sexually? I’ve loved women before and wanted to be with them but unfortunately it never worked out but what if someone finally says yes and I can’t do it? Being repulsed or being straight and unable to be with a woman would be devastating to me but when my anxiety is high these fears just take over. Only like a week ago I was feeling fine. When I feel at peace with my sexuality it’s such a relief and I feel so happy but every time the anxiety comes back and I start doubting all over again. Is this normal? I feel like such a freak and that I’ll never get past this.

#1 AnxiousReader, Apr 23, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2023
  2. Wanderlost

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't experience anxiety outside what is considered normal for anyone in any given situation, so I can't really help you there. But there are some really smart people here who could help better than I can. Some obvious questions though:
    Does this anxiety have any relationship to your monthly menstrual cycle? Is there a time of month that it occurs, or is it some random week? When you experience this anxiety about intimacy with a woman, (because when you express your fears, that is what it sounds like, not so much about your orientation.) does it have the same symptoms of your generalized anxiety, as you described, or is it different, and you're only worried that those symptoms will be there when put in those affectionate and intimate situations with a woman? Sort of like having anxiety about having anxiety, which would be really annoying, but it can happen.

AnxiousReader likes this.
  3. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have wondered if there is a possible correlation between my period and the anxiety. Sometimes it seems like it lines up with a certain phase of my cycle and other times it doesn’t. I’m currently two weeks out from my period now and I have been known to have pms symptoms this early on occasion. I do sometimes have anxiety spikes before my period. I don’t know if my hormones are totally to blame though because sometimes I’ll have anxiety and I won’t be able to find a correlation to that necessarily. The anxiety symptoms are definitely the same though. When I’m anxious no matter what it’s about I always get nauseous and feel sick. I do worry that because being with a woman can make me feel anxious though that it will impact my ability to be with her. I’m worried I’ll freak out or that I won’t like it. Basically I’m terrified that I’ll be with a woman I really love and then when I want to be with her I won’t be able to do it because of my anxiety and I worry that because of this it means that I’m straight when I don’t want to be. The idea of not being able to be with a woman is very upsetting to me because despite being bi I don’t want to be with a man. I can find them attractive physically but in other senses I’m not attracted and the idea of having to date a man is depressing to me.

4. Wanderlost

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're not straight. That I can answer definitively because that is obvious.
    Edit: I should clarify this. If you were straight you would consider being with a woman as off putting or gross, undesirable. There would not be an interest in it when you think about it.

More questions:

Are you anxious about being with a woman just romantically, apart from sex? I mean, holding hands, kissing with no intent for it to go further, cuddling, etc.?
    Does the anxiety only enter when you think of sex or intimacy?
    Are your turned OFF or ON by the idea of intimacy with a woman, sexual or even just kissing and affection? Is there a distinction?
    Can a woman who indicates interest in you, like flirting, or otherwise, turn you ON or cause a biological reaction to these behaviors?

#4 Wanderlost, Apr 23, 2023
  5. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’m not quite sure I fully understand these two questions exactly.

I am anxious in general though even thinking about just being affectionate without sex. However, when I’m not anxious I have been turned on thinking about women. I had a ex gf that was a purely online relationship (long story) and we used to sext and do things and I would get turned on by her. I also have experienced desire for other women. Normally what I fantasize about is going down on a woman because that sounds really appealing. Weirdly enough what makes me anxious is kissing. I have never kissed anyone I might add so I’m sure this is a big part of that.

#5 AnxiousReader, Apr 23, 2023
  6. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess what it really comes down to is that when I think about being in love and happy I think about being with a woman. When I watch romantic relationships between women on tv I feel jealous and I want what they have. I want to know what it’s like to have a woman love me.

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You will get past this. It might take some time and also some outside help, if you're open to that.

Can it be about something else? Stress can set off anxiety attacks. I know it has happened to me. Functioning comes way, way down. There's that expression that makes a lot of sense for all kinds of behavior and not just anxiety but why people act a certain way - "it's about something else." For me, one thing leads to another. Could it be that you are experiencing a bad stretch of stressful events and you turn you focus on these things? Or do you think it mostly has to do with how you want to express yourself romantically and sexually?

This is just my 2 cents. It might be something to think about.

8. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do experience anxiety from other things but I really do feel the most anxiety when it comes to my orientation and trying to figure out what it is and how I feel because most of the time I’m incredibly confused.

Tightrope likes this.
  9. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most recently I have experienced attraction to a friend I have who I have a crush on. She’s very beautiful and I have definitely fantasized about kissing her and doing other things. I don’t think I’d be uncomfortable doing these things with her because I trust her and for some reason I’m not afraid when I think about her the way I feel other times.

#9 AnxiousReader, Apr 23, 2023
  10. Wanderlost

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry, this is a hard one for me to explain because English isn't my first language and some phrasing escapes me at times. The reason I asked all of my questions was so you could analyze the various nuances of your attractions and share them.

Not everyone here believes this, but I currently do. It may be possible for a person to have romantic attraction but not sexual attraction towards one or both sexes. And the opposite as well. It's what people refer to as hetero and homo romantic, vs. hetero and homo sexual. I was just trying to find out if you might be more homoromantic, but heterosexual, or the opposite. But it sounds like you are both sexually and romantically attracted to women. But this may not be true with men?

The "idea of intimacy" means daydreaming and thinking of sexual acts and being aroused physically by these thoughts. Or are you turned off by these thoughts, but only aroused physically by acts of affection and romance. The "distinction" is just that, does your body respond differently between the two thoughts, one being sexual, the other romantic. The second part of my questioning had to do with receiving romantic or sexual attention from another woman and how that makes you feel, or not feel. I mean biologically, not just thoughts. Physical things like butterflies, sweaty palms, tongue tied, heart racing, arousal. A straight woman would respond in a different way to this sort of attention than a non-straight woman would.

Tightrope and AnxiousReader like this.
  11. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I definitely have experienced sexual and romantic feelings for women. The thing I probably fantasize about most is oral sex with women giving and receiving. I definitely have been attracted to women in real life as well. In general I get very flustered around anyone I like and I alternate between clamming up and not knowing what to say or talking way too much and nervously because my heart is racing and my stomach is in knots.

#11 AnxiousReader, Apr 24, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
  12. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think a big source of my confusion is that my sexual arousal and my anxiety can occur simultaneously. Not always but sometimes. I can want to be with a woman and be attracted to her but I also feel intensely nervous about it at the same time.

13. Wanderlost

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That about sums it up. I know this is going to sound really stupid and simple. But this doctors diagnosis is that you are anxious about being with a woman because you have anxiety and you've never been with a woman, romantically or otherwise. You appear to consider the physical act of being with a woman as a "fear of the unknown," sort of thing. Which we all experience, but you maybe more so because of your anxiety. I'll point back to the original thing I first said to you. I think you're not considering the effect and influence that your significant other will have on the whole matter. I know this won't make it go away, but trust love to do it's work and maybe it will be something you can use as a coping tool for when you are experiencing this anxiety. "She will understand, she will love me no matter what, and she will see me as everything I don't see in myself." is that sappy? that sounded sappy? I'm sort of sappy I think.

I have to admit that I am now curious about how you see your attraction to men after all this.

#13 Wanderlost, Apr 24, 2023
  14. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really appreciate your take on this! Honestly having an outside person who can see this more objectively is tremendously helpful. I do tend to be afraid of things that are new so it would make sense if that’s what’s going on here. As for men, that’s pretty easy for me to articulate. Physically speaking I find men attractive pretty much entirely based on their appearance. I fantasize about kissing men and aesthetically I think some of them are very pretty but in terms of dating or being with one I’m not interested otherwise. This is embarrassing sounding probably but I basically only fantasize about fictional men for the most part. So I’ll crush on like an actor from a tv show. I don’t have interest in being with a dude though in real life. This sounds mean but I find the majority of men incredibly boring and I don’t enjoy their company for the most part.

#14 AnxiousReader, Apr 24, 2023
    Wanderlost likes this.
  15. Wanderlost

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not an expert on any of this, but I appreciate you're appreciation. Just know that I could be completely full of shit.

16. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don’t think you are lol.

Wanderlost likes this.
  17. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, thanks. I think that I now understand the situation a little better.

18. Nameerf76

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have had pretty severe anxiety all my life and it sounds to me like anxiety just doing what it does! I get it worrying about meeting new people, whether I'll be too nervous and make a fool of myself, whether I'll be too nervous to "perform" in bed! Whether I'll get nervous and throw up etc...
    I get nervous meeting men but I get WAY more nervous and awkward around women - so much so that I have a hard time just conversing, let alone flirting! But that's off topic!
    And I have been told by psychologists that being around someone you're attracted to is a very common trigger for anxiety.. so there's that too!
    I think anything we're excited, nervous or have any strong feelings about - anxiety will try to latch onto it with "what if this happens", "what if that happens" and the short term solution is often avoidance! "I'd better not do this in case all these terrible things happen "!
    And regarding cycles of anxiety - mine seems to come and go in cycles too (I'm male btw) and I've often tried to work out why but I haven't found anything - I also have a cyclic depression that comes along much less frequently but just as regularly!
    Don't know if any of that is useful but what you wrote sound like CLASSIC anxiety to me!

19. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you so much for the response. It’s really nice to hear from someone that also has anxiety as well! Can I ask what your orientation is? I wonder also if it’s a possibly that in addition to my anxiety maybe I just have fluctuations in my attractions (the famous “bi-cycle”) and that is what contributes to my confusion too. My sexuality is fairly fluid so I think maybe that doesn’t help matters.

Nameerf76 likes this.
  20. Nameerf76

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes I'm bi - and I definitely experience the "bi-cycle"! Before I realised I was bi it was worrying and confusing - I had never even HEARD of bisexuality let alone understood what it was! But I'm comfortable with it now - I'm never 100% attracted to one gender but it sometimes might be 70%/30% or something!
    Or sometimes I'm in an attracted to women phase and a guy flirts with me and it suddenly switches! I find it quite funny sometimes!