1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do I even bother wasting energy on people?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by xfemmelesbian, May 12, 2023.

1. xfemmelesbian

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry everyone but this is going to be a major rant!

I am just sick of people ditching me when somebody better comes along. I put so much effort into trying to make others happy and am a naturally outgoing person but now i’m just thinking what’s the point? I just feel so unappreciated and like I am utterly loathsome. The majority of people in my life are great and I hate to come across as a pessimist but I just hate putting effort in and feeling defeated when it backfires. Sometimes I just feel like it would be better for everyone if I just calmed down my personality. This has happened to me so many times.

I have a lot to be grateful for because I have my girlfriend and some pretty amazing friends, as well as family of course.

Sorry for the rant and I hope everyone is having a good day/night!

#1 xfemmelesbian, May 12, 2023
    Last edited: May 12, 2023
    AnxiousReader likes this.
  2. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's okay, we all need a good rant now and again. I get what you mean: sometimes and it's turned out to be true at times), I feel like I am more emotionally invested in my relationships with people than they are with me. Like they could mean the absolute world to me, be the kinds of people I actually like hanging out with... But I can't shake the impression that I'm either easy to replace, or merely being tolerated.

So I can commiserate, and like you, I sometimes know that the issue isn't necessarily others (even if it sometimes is), but also my own fears/anxieties or what-have-you, playing havoc on how I perceive things.

The great thing about EC is, you can scream this stuff into the void and not worry about anyone judging you. And once you've done it, you tend to feel better and have an easier time finding clarity and a sense of calm irl. :slight_smile:

AnxiousReader, Wanderlost and mnguy like this.
  3. buzzer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can relate. I have lots of experiences where people talk "around" me or ignore when I am speaking or just avoid me altogether (because of a cancer related speech disability).

I'm glad you do have your girlfriend and good family and friends. I have found that true friends, close family members and an amazing husband are are the ones who truly count.
    It's okay to rant here, and feel free to message me if you ever need to talk. Best wishes to you and yours.

Wanderlost and xfemmelesbian like this.
  4. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is this anyone in particular?

I feel similar sometimes so I can understand where you're coming from. But that just shows how shallow the people who are ditching you really are. It says more about them than it does about you.

Wanderlost, buzzer and xfemmelesbian like this.
  5. xfemmelesbian

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for your reply! I’m sorry you have felt this way too, it’s a horrible way to feel. It just sucks when you felt like somebody is your friend and end up feeling like an inconvenience or even a stop gap in somebody’s life. You are completely right about the feeling of feeling like you are merely being tolerated and easily replaced, I feel exactly like that currently.

I know it’s partly down to my BPD and anxiety but I genuinely believe it too. I think the BPD is exacerbating it though, although I used a DBT skill to stop me from dealing with the situation in a very impulsive way which wouldn’t have been effective in the long run. I’m sorry you have been through the same but it’s comforting in a way to know i’m not the only one. Maybe it’s something about gemini’s (a joke obviously) because that’s my star sign too haha, sorry for going off on a tangent but are you a June or May gemini? I’m a June gemini myself.

Yes you are right- EC is a great place to vent and know you won’t be judged. I receive some great help and I like to try my hardest to re pay the favour.

Wanderlost likes this.
  6. xfemmelesbian

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don’t experience this for the most part, 98% of the people I know are amazing but it kind of makes me want to withdraw despite being a very extroverted person because I feel like I am a bother to people. Oh gosh, I am so sorry that you go through this too. I hope you have recovered from your cancer now? I would love to talk to you and wouldn’t avoid you if you ever want to talk. :slight_smile:

You are completely right, i’m glad you have great people in your life. Thank you, that is very kind and the same goes for you. Best wishes to you as well! I may be being nosey here but I would love to hear how you met your husband if you don’t mind talking about it. If it’s not too personal you can write on my wall or DM me. Have a great day and thank you for your reply!

Wanderlost and buzzer like this.
  7. xfemmelesbian

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It’s just somebody in my personal life.

It’s difficult isn’t it? But i’m here for you if you still want to talk in PM. There is no rush to reply instantly, I know you have a lot going on. This feeling just makes me want to withdraw and reign in my extroversion because I feel like I am utterly irritating and quite used to be honest. Almost as if I was a stop gap. Thank you- that is a very sweet thing of you to say and much appreciated! The same goes for you, you are a much better person than you believe and I enjoy talking to you. :slight_smile:

8. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've already replied =P

You're not irritating though. I feel irritating a lot too, to people I care about who don't care about me. But it's hard to stop caring. All I can do is try to work on myself as much as I can and try not to care what people think too much.

xfemmelesbian likes this.
  9. xfemmelesbian

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, I am so dumb lol. I thought I had replied but clearly not! Maybe I forgot to press send- apologies! I will get back to you now. :slight_smile:

Thank you. I know we don’t know each other in real life or anything but I care about you (sorry if that’s weird). You are completely right that it’s hard to stop caring. I think I need to remind myself of that too. I guess i’m not always the problem and can’t be responsible for other peoples actions and decisions as difficult as that is sometimes. In fact, I think that’s good for every one to remember.

Wanderlost and Cinnamoon like this.
  10. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're not dumb! No that's not weird at all, it's nice of you to say.

And exactly right, you're not responsible for anyone's life except your own. So there's no need to put so much pressure on yourself. 99% of the time other people's thoughts and opinions are completely out of our control.

Wanderlost and xfemmelesbian like this.
  11. xfemmelesbian

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for saying that! I often feel it haha.

I just find it difficult because I’m a people pleaser and often tend to let people use me but luckily the majority of people I have known and do know have never done that; and despite my outgoing personality it’s difficult for me not to care but you are completely right.

12. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This would be frustrating and feel bad. I was thinking of this recently, but I'm on the other side where I don't know what it's like to have anyone in life that means so much to me, someone that I miss and can't wait to be with again, and it hurts to not have normal human feelings like that :frowning2:

Wanderlost likes this.
  13. buzzer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you, I will send a DM to you.

14. Wanderlost

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *huge hugs* You definitely don't deserve to be kicked to the curb Loz. You're heart is made of pure gold and any friend would be lucky to have you in the center of their life. Some people are just selfish and only know how to take, rather than give. I'm assuming they have given you sufficient cause to feel the way you do so i wont' go into the, "Maybe they are just busy," stuff. You know the situation not me. Sometimes I wish the people I've met on this forum can become my local group of friends, because there are so many bright souls here to love, and you are one of those. *hugs you again because I feel like it*

AnxiousReader, Ipswichfan and mnguy like this.