1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why can people not comprehend that I don't have a crush?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by 143kc, Oct 29, 2013.

1. 143kc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Recently I came out to a few friends, specifically one who is quite more "sexually mature" than myself. I know that I am gay, and have accepted that waiting to date until college is probably my best solution..... However, my friend can't seem to understand that I don't have a need to be in a relationship. I don't see myself fit for a relationship at the moment, and even if I think a girl is cute, that does not mean I want to be involved with them. Is it normal to have a low desire to be in a relationship? If the right person came along, I'm open to dating, but I'm perfectly content in my current situation. My friends don't seem to be able to understand this... I am going crazy, or are my friends just super horny teenagers?

2. Saint Otaku

Definitely the latter. I'm sort of like you, as I intend to wait till college to even think of pursuing a relationship. That said, I do crush over just about any cute boy that I see. I suppose I'm just strong of will, like the pubescent Tina Belcher ^_^

that and any cute gay boy has escaped my radar D8<

3. scanner007

yeah I had a similar issue when I came out. I'm friends with a bunch of guys that we're all close friends in varying degrees over the past 20 years. Second friend I came out to just would not let it go. Who did I have a crush on? I was like nobody, ya'll are straight (turned out not everybody, but thats a whole different story :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) and my friends and yeah I find some good looking in different ways, but I mainly just think of all of you as my friends. Nope, not good enough. He like pressed and hounded me until I gave up a name of who I thought was at least the best looking of the bunch. So I gave him a name and yeah next time I hung out with that person it was a little awkward, but he's got a bunch of other gay friends anyways who thinks he's cute so he didn't care.
    Oh yes and I'm sure every guy reading this is probably wondering ..yes ..guy I named...picture someone who looks like a completely straight Tyler Oakley with abs that could scratch glass. mmm hmm! lol
    So I dunno if that helps you much, but at least I can relate a little bit. If you're in a wide social circle especially and suddenly you come out and everyone knows. I think its only natural they'd ask. I mean, more than likely, they've been sharing that information like that with you on who they like, or if they see someone they think is cute. Pretty common thing amongst friends unless you're in the closet - because then you're just too busy worrying nobody will find you out - so you've become very accustomed to not sharing that information, maybe even sharing misinformation (like trying to occassionally point out a hot member of opposite sex every now and then just to seem "normal").

Luckily I had a great bunch of understanding friends and now we just have fun with it. I'll be like, Wow, look at him! And if they are like, ooooh Look at her! ..then I'm like .."oh yeah! wondering if she's got a brother. And they kinda roll their eyes or are like "oh god" (good naturedly) and we all have a laugh.
    Good Evening.

#3 scanner007, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  4. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    As someone who isn't American, I find this 'crush' mentality to be really weird.

It seems to me that most people force themselves to 'crush' on someone just so they can talk about it to fit in.

Growing up, I went to an all-boys school. I didn't have many female friends outside of school. I had no 'crushes', mainly because there was no one to engage my interests on that level.

Orientation doesn't have anything to do with it. If you like someone because you like them, then that's fine. But if you don't have a crush because there's no one around you that makes you feel like that...that's just logical/common sense, is it not?

Like/fancy/crush someone because you like them. Not because you are somehow morally obliged to.

5. Foxface

Unless it becomes a problem to you there is nothing abnormal about low romantic desire. I honestly believe the problem with many people is that their own thoughts on romance, or sex or politics or whatever have to be equal for all. So in a way it's like people saying if I have crushes then so must this person.

I wouldn't worry about it. You take YOUR time not theirs and if you commit or start a relationship one day then so be it

Foxface

6. MoyashiAlice

People are always getting on my case about this. Although I am bi, I never want to be in a relationship or get married. It's not for religious reasons, and saying why would take too long. So, I'll leave you with this. Almost everyone gets on my case about not wanting a partner. A lot of them say stuff like "You need a man to be happy or without a guy your not complete." It annoys me, but I also understand that from their point of view being in a relationship is important to them, so they can't comprehend someone not feeling the way they do.

That being said, don't let them get you down. You can take as much time as you need to find and be in a special relationship. Your friends aren't in the relationship with you, so it doesn't really matter what they think. Just be you. :slight_smile:

7. Silver Sparrow

Your feelings are perfectly normal! I have little desire to be in a relationship right now either.

8. Mr Bubbles

Don't worry, your feelings are definitely normal. Even if I were to be out to everyone, I don't really think that I would really be ready for a relationship yet. There's definitely no problem with waiting, and honestly, it's probably for the better because then you have matured more and you will probably make better decisions.