1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are we gay bi or whatever o.o?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ralphtruco, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Which APA (if not both)?

2. In the beginning, I tried to fool myself into believing that it was because of my horrible childhood. I eventually realized that I was always this way, and I looked back at myself in the past. It will never change. I will, but it will always stay with me. I used to see it as a curse, but now I'm seeing it as a blessing. :slight_smile:

3. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

This is exactly what comes into my mind when I hear people talk about the topic. If it is in fact something that is triggered then parents wouldblame themselves and books would start to come out about how to not trigger the "gay gene"

4. CanisCerberus

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My Dad Died when i was 6 and i didnt know him to well either. Honestly i used to think i was just a mamas boy LOL but then i find im curious and i really think it relates just the tiniest bit to not having a father. Maybe its the balance with having a male and female role model there to portray "straight" sexuality. just a thought :slight_smile:

5. Inhuman

Oddly enough . . . I lived at my dads house like 1/3 or 1/4 of the time, but mostly with my mom . . . thats strange

although more evidence towards to a heavy contribution being hormones exposed to a fetus during incubation, before birth

6. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've often wondered if we are nature's way of controlling the population.

7. Meropspusillus

I don't believe I've ever heard anything about this from a credible source, I had thought that this was generally a very old argument (and it certainly is of the school of thought that homosexuality is correlated to trauma) and is frequently used by "ex-gay" movements. A quick google search of "distant father homosexuality" got me to this article http://hem.passagen.se/nicb/quinn.htm While I should also do some research on articles that support this theory, I'm not going to because I'm lazy.

Basically, I'm of the belief that sexuality is likely determined before birth. I'm more inclined to believe that pre-natal hormones have a larger role in homosexuality than genetics (and there is an article that suggested that the correlation between sexuality and handedness may suggest that handedness is also determined partially by pre-natal hormones.) Of course, it is sort of meaningless to distinguish between genetic influences and hormonal influences as of now, but I like thinking about it anyways...and I have little basis in research when I hypothesize that my genetics have little to do with my homosexuality, but that my mother may have been genetically inclined to bear homosexual children (Mostly guesswork there though).

Also, as another interesting point, Biodemographic and Physical Correlates of Sexual Orientation in Men (Schwartz et. al 2010), the most recent study I can find found no correlation between homosexuality and handedness or hair whorl. Though it did find that homosexual men have more relatives on average than heterosexual men. This goes in line with an interesting hypothesis I've heard that male homosexuality may be linked to a gene that, when expressed in women increases fertility but when expressed in men increases chances of homosexuality.

Also, it does sorta stink that there are so few studies on female sexuality.

Edit: I was, without a doubt, already gay when I was five (playing with my-little-ponies and the like...) and I bet I'm not the exception to any rule; if there is ANY correlation between sexuality and lack of paternal care I'm sure it correlates to a time that none of us can remember.

#27 Meropspusillus, Jun 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Keep in mind that correlation and causation are completely different; more people die in hospitals than anywhere else, but hospitals don't kill people.

I have little doubt that prenatal factors, be they hormone levels in the womb, genetic factors, or something else, weigh in strongly, and it's clear that there are plenty of children from well adjusted families with emotionally healthy moms and dads turn out gay.

Yet there's enough other evidence to point to it not being solely genetic/prenatal. And this hasn't even gotten into the more airy-fairy ideas that past lives and reincarnation may enter into one's sexual orientation (if one happens to believe in those factors.)

In short, I think it will be a challenge to evern fully define the cause, and like The Edend, it's extremely concerning that if we did, parents might suddenly want to take steps to avoid having gay kids, or somebody might decide that all gay people should be treated for "gayness" (there was a great Star Trek:TNG on this subject).

But still interesting to discuss.

Swamp: It was the American Psychological Association, and it was in one of the supplementary position papers when they officially said that reparative therapy was a bunch of shit that doesn't work (in slightly more refined language.)

9. 4 seat

Both of my parents are pretty kool. My mom was very strict to all of us when we were younger but we've always been close. And I have a great relationship with my dad. He's old and kind of oblivious, but other than my sexuality, we're very close.

And I'm the 2nd male. I have an older brother and after me it's 2 girls, so maybe there is something to this aromatization thing. Interesting.

10. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

I have a shitty relationship with both parents. 2 out of 3 of my sisters came out as bi. One actually had a girlfriend (for about a year in high school) and the other is a feminist who is all about anything women's rights related. Idk. I wouldn't say it's genetics. Idk. I'd say gay/bi guys were born to like guys the same way girls were and vice versa, maybe there are a smaller amount of gays/lesbians because of hormones and stuff idk.

11. timtravolta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i think it is useless to know why really because we are what we are. the more important thing is that we accept ourselves regardless of our sexual orientation.

12. hum... I think it's just part of who we are :thumbsup:

13. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gamma rays, Ozone depletion....Television

14. blankpaper

We all are a blessing in disguise! No more overpopulation!!! LOL I have had both parents present physically but not emotionally throughout most of my life. They have left me with little influences from either gender so I am beginning to realize that the feelings that I have now must be completely genetic. Although I can't say that I knew that I liked girls more than normal from a young age, thinking back I almost instinctually hung out with girls and was the tomboy/one of the guys. Genetics as a reason is a bit puzzling for me because as far as I know there is no one on either of my parents side who are gay (well I have my doubts about this one guy cousin who is luvin' the musical theater scene) but you never know! It doesn't really matter the reason though, just being me is good enough : )

15. ceejay

ceejay Guest

I attempted to be close to my dad and two step dads. I came out to my mother and step-dad at age 14. After that event, they were all COLD. My mom said she hated me and I had been born as a curse. I grew up being dumped on other people when they could not handle my behaviors (feminine). They brought my cousin from Fla. to live from the time I was 14 to 17 attempting to have him attempt to change me. I am the way I have always been. If people can't deal too bad. Oh my parents are now deceased.

16. jazzrawr

I've always had a great relationship with both of my parents. I don't feel like it had anything to do with my sexuality - just my ability to be happy about it. :slight_smile:
    Being gay is who you are, in my opinion. Nurture can only do so much.