1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are Straight Men Weirded out by Gay Men?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by person57, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Most people, straight men or women, whatever, could care less. But there is this stigma that straight women are more undertanding of gay men, and straight men are more undertanding of lesbians.

2. ScatteredEarth

I don't think a majority of straight men are weirded out by gay guys.. But I have known a few that were. It's a bad stereotype that we sometimes like to throw on ourselves to scare us from showing who we really are.

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's just a few, more so than the majority.

4. June Cleaver

You my friend are fabulous! I don't have this problem though! They tend to like me and quickly get comfortable around me, but I am a Trans-woman and I respect their space which peaks their curiosity a lot of times as they expect me to want them automatically. June

5. Northern

A lot mentioned above are spot on. As you can see a lot of it is based on their fear of something or an insecurity of their own.

A lot of straight men just feel their masculinity being challenged, you know what I mean. Straight men in particular tend to have a lot more "pissing contests" because they want to prove how "macho" they are.

So many guys in my grade constantly say homophobic things and wrestle and stuff in order to show their dominance and prove their masculinity. A bunch of them don't mean to sound homophobic or even think it is right, they just do it because it "proves" themselves to be more masculine.

6. Zyanya

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't think that's a stigma.

I think the stigma with straight men is that they are pretty disrespectful to lesbians.

7. djone12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    i went to a new school for 7th grade there were lots of gay peaple there and when i was ther i had my ferrst crush ever and it was on a dude ever sens i have had crushes on doys and gone on dates be hind my moms back but when i moved back to my old school evry body was homophobic and so im back in the closet but i did lern that homophob men can learn i came out to 1 and he seb it was gross i told him that if it is a chose then he needs to choose to be gay he sed he cant that proves the point know he understands and is exsepting

8. Hun

Hun

^
    This.
    Also, we get like... 5 of these threads every week.

9. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    Well lets not generalize...not all straight men are like that. My female best friend is bisexual, and i dont mind gay guys.

Now, why SOME straight men weird out? Its ironic that most of the things that male homophobes hate in gay guys, are things those same straight guys do. Theyfreak out when a guy ogles them(even after spending a whole life ogling women and shouting obscene comments), they hate when they say "no" or " im not interested" to a gay guy and the gay guy insist on hitting on him (even when many straight guys do just this)

And then they generalize and criticize ALL gay guys for the action of a few.

Silly homophobes...

10. blueberrymuffin

Well i don't think this characterization is fair. In fact, most guys here seem to go out of their way to show support, and in a year of being out, I've yet to hear any negative comments directed at me or anyone else. However in some places, it's still a problem and i think this post explains it well:

#30 blueberrymuffin, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  11. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is what some Straight Guys think :roflmao:

[​IMG]

12. HEREIAM2

HEREIAM2 Guest

The thing about women....you are right, they are more understanding.....until that gay guy is their son, boyfriend or hubby. Women are pretty homophobic too.

---------- Post added 8th Aug 2013 at 12:36 AM ----------

dude that guy almost made me straight for a second

---------- Post added 8th Aug 2013 at 12:41 AM ----------

True, many straights cannot bear to be an object of desire, by making them that you have taken their masculinity and "feminised" them. Then you have a certain type of ugly straight guy who likes to believe all gay guys want a piece of them....and you don't have the heart to set the record straight.

13. LinkLarkin

Woah woah woah. When where the words "most" or "all" straight men ever mentioned? Some posters are putting words in people's mouths here. I personally thought it was quite obvious that the thread referred only to homophobic straight men. People who read it as something different must have something else on their mind.

14. Ashen

It sounded quite like generalization to me. "straight men" does not seem to be "homophobic men". To me this read "why are straight men weirded out by gay men" and not "why are homophobic straight men weirded out by gay men". To be fair, this does sound quite generalizing. The words most or all might not have been mentioned much, but I didn't see some or a few mentioned that much either.

15. LinkLarkin

My bad, I just found the place where "most or all" was mentioned. Let it henceforth be known that that is not my opinion on the topic. I have many male straight friends. My earlier post referred to homophobes only.

16. Ashen

It's okay, just slight confusion between everyone with wording and things like that. I suppose I also should have thought that most/all was not necessarily implied, but it's just what sprung to my mind :slight_smile:

17. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    Its okay, i was almost sure it wasnt your intention. I know this sort of confusions are common in a forum like this where there are many opinions, orientations, ideologies and ways of thinking. One have to be extra careful with the choice of words. One day i was almost crucified here at EC :lol: and i begun my defence post with the same "woah woah woah..."