1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why American made?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by anthonythegamer, May 10, 2013.

1. Recently I've seen many commercials that use the origin of the manufacturing to promote their product ("Plus, it's American Made!"). Is there really a difference between American-Made products and foreign-made products? Is there something special about USA-made products? Don't get me wrong, I don't think there's anything bad about USA made products, but I see no significance in them. I just care about how well the products work.

2. Kirakishou

It's more about keeping things domestic and not outsourcing, which means less jobs for 'murricans.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pretty much. Buying American means the money stays in the country instead of going to China, Pakistan, Bangladesh, etc. It's basically economic recycling.

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Plus, by buying 1st world (in general), one is supporting better manufacturing conditions. I am appalled by news stories describing sweatshop conditions.

---------- Post added 10th May 2013 at 10:54 PM ----------

Yes.

5. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Most stuff that says "Made in USA" is actually not really made in the 50 states, but made in territories like Guam where they can still get cheap labor. Technically part of the USA, but not really being forthright.

6. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What is really sad is how much once was made in the US (actually, pretty much everything) vs how much is made now. I have thrift shop towels made in the US, and those same companies now outsource. My first computer was US assembled, now the company makes everything in China. Etc, etc, etc.

7. Hefiel

To my knowledge it's more of a marketing thing than anything else. There is some degree of 'racism' (for lack of a better word) in regards to foreign products, which are far cheaper, but also often said to be of lower quality. Especially in the U.S, there is also a very interesting level of patriotism attached to the word "America" which is generally perceived as "Bigger", "Better", "Stronger". Basically, they're banking on the use of the word "America[n]", and the poor perception of foreign products.

Funny thing though, is that many of these "Made in America" products are usually only assembled in the U.S, but the parts often come from foreign countries.

8. BlueBear

America made once meant quality products back when made in Japan meant junk now it is more a slogan.

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's basically because the more a country exports compared to how much it imports, the more money it makes. When buying off an American company, you are paying more towards US businesses, jobs, and the taxation of their incomes by your own government, whereas buying foreign goods contributes more to their economies, especially if your government has an unbalanced free trade agreement. When offered the choice between foreign and US goods, it is technically more beneficial for an American resident to purchase the US product.

10. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In the UK, its is Made in Great Britain, or British made or Made to British Standards, this was afters years of people buying tacky products, made in China or Hong Kong :slight_smile:

I guess it's to promote good quality & to promote business at home :slight_smile:

I personally love Irish products, but then again I am biased Lol