1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whoop Whoop

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ruby Dragon, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went and got a haircut earlier this week. Instead of going to a barber, I went to my usual hairdresser. My mom tagged along though :confused:

I asked for a clipper cut on the sides and at the back but the hairdresser hesitated and only thinned the hair out a bit so it'll be a lot shorter. I'm not entirely satisfied. But they were both giving me such a hard time. My mom started freaking out about how short it is and I didn't want to make a scene in front of everyone. When we got into the car I got a lecture :bang: Along the lines of, "You really want to look like a man, don't you?" I just kept quiet. Didn't see the point in getting into a huge argument about it.

Lesson learned though. If I want my hair to be perfect then I need to change hairdressers/go to a barber instead. It pisses me off that people just cannot do what they're asked to do. I thought it'll go down better but I think my mom's presence played a big role. Ah well, that's life.

We (mom and I) had a nice chat again about my sexuality and she really seems to be coming to terms with it. She actually asked me straight-out if I want her and my dad to accept it. I said I would want them to but I don't want it to be forced or false. I want it to be real. It seems like we are actually able to have conversations about it now without it resulting in a fight. Which I feel is awesome :icon_wink

2. Maxi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    , "You really want to look like a man, don't you?"

I know your mom said that but I dont think she ment it....I think she is traying to understand but I know you dont Want it to be forsed.......Be patiant thats what I have learned by everybody at EC.....

I you nee enyone to talk to I will listen:kiss:

3. PurpleCrab

Well, you're right. You need to change hairdressers, or at least have a serious talk with that one before having your hair done by them again. And to not bring your mom :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

When you're some sort of artist in little businesses like hairdressing it can be tricky to just go ahead and do what people ask you to do, all the time. I can say by experience that at least 50% of people who ask something, don't want exactly what they are asking and will regret it right after, causing lots of drama, loss of money and even lawsuits.
    Me, I tattoo people, so each time I meet a new client I sit down with them and make extra sure that they know what they want and that I understand exactly what they want, too, with the support of images, writing and the sorts.
    However, when a client is 100% certain of what they want and they make it crystal clear, that's such a relief! Got to love that type of client.

So I suggest that next time you go have your hair done, you print out a picture of exactly what you want on your head and write under it that it's what you want and nothing different from it, and have the hairdresser/barber sign it. They will feel very relieved that they don't have to try and guess your body language as if it's really what you want or not. And they'll actually do it.

4. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's actually what I did when I initially went from long hair to short hair. I took a picture of what I want and just showed it to her and I was satisfied. But I want it slightly different now so maybe I should do the same again. It'll be easier on everyone involved (myself and the barber/hairdresser) if they can see what I want it to look like in the end. For now though I'll keep it as it is and when it's time for a haircut again, I'll take a picture and cut it the way I want it

5. Koan

Koan Guest

It is hard to understand why someone would chastise someone for getting short hair - especially someone you love. It is not like your short hair plunges the world into darkness and despair....

Do you have an idea why she says things like that? Maybe she is afraid that you will get harassed or judged if you look "too much like a man"?

(I am not excusing her behavior - just curious if you have considered why she acts like that)

6. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the biggest problem is she's still struggling to come to terms with my sexuality. I only came out to my parents on the 6th of June this year, so it hasn't given them much time to adjust. And shortly after coming out to them, I cut my hair to begin the change.

So I think it's all a bit overwhelming for them both. Still not an excuse to be bitchy about it but I understand that it's a hard pill to swallow, so I'll be patient with them :icon_wink

---------- Post added 4th Nov 2012 at 09:55 PM ----------

If all goes well, I have myself a coffee date today at 10am. The girl who postponed our date twice suggested we go for coffee today, so I'm super psyched about it and actually didn't know what to wear, I went through about 3 shirts before settling on a golf shirt :lol: Guess it's normal to be nervous about it. Here's hoping 3rd time's the charm