Who am I?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Rose27, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

I've been following this thread, but haven't been able to come up with anything to say. Feels like a first, and I couldn't figure out why. Then as I read more and more of your responses, and had my own rash of personal experiences and encounters this week, it occurred to me why.

I am apparently two people. Or maybe more. Changing username to Sybil.

Reading about how disappointed you all are when you come out to people and they're not surprised, while I'm having quite to opposite experience is disappointing to ME. I can't come out, not even in the face of SO many people who know me, intimately, asking flat out, "Are you gay?" And I just can't say it.

So disappointed in myself.

2. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Key words: people who know me intimately asking "Are you gay?" Don't be disappointed in yourself. Feel blessed you have people who know you that well. Whether you come out or not let them embrace you! (*hug*)

3. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, DB, you'll get there. It's a big adjustment in your way of thinking about yourself, even if you know it's true. There will come a day when you just want to say it without even thinking about it. Me, I know that I have to keep my mouth shut in certain company, mainly for my wife's benefit, and it's driving me f***ing CRAZY because for myself, I just want to be open about it. Someone did something the other day that they hadn't done before and said "One more thing off the bucket list", and I stopped myself almost as the words "My bucket list is, 'get a boyfriend'" nearly escaped. Not that I even would have cared what that person thought, even slightly. But because she's not ready for me to be public, I'm trying to respect her wishes. Of course, if she doesn't make any progress in that respect, I WILL eventually put my foot down, but after all, it's been, like, 8 weeks and she is still deciding if I am an ass, or if she should have me redecorate the house.

4. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Choirboy, no matter how disappointed I am in myself, I am so very proud of you. Look at that, would you? Bold AND italics! You've come a long way baby! (!)

5. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just don't EVER expect me to get my "buzzum" pierced.

6. dahlia

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Rose..Can so relate to everything you said..I was in a very very abusive marriage for many years.. I then met a woman and something very special happened.I am not ashamed or uncomfortable for that.. in fact it felt amazing and I felt alive for the first time in my life. What I feel shame about is that I stayed in a very toxic place for me and my children as long as I did. I know I shouldn't look back..what's the point in that...But just as ClosetedFather stated - to think about all the people who because of life would like a chance to start new. That's me and that's you. And this is a journey. One I never expected, but being very spiritual I realize I'm not the one in control.. I'm merely in the passenger seat. We have to keep talking and putting one foot in front of the other and hopefully in time everything will all work out.

#26 dahlia, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  7. Spaceman

Thank you Rose. (*hug*) to you too.

CF... it's dawned on me too that this chance to start anew in mid life is kind of a gift. I think of our straight couple friends and wonder how many are truly happy. Some are recently divorced, some are clearly in unhappy marriages, some seem content, but a precious few seem really happy. I'm sure many of them dream of a chance to start over. Yes, it's scary and yes, it's difficult, but it's a real opportunity if we're brave enough to take it.

8. Lindsey23

I feel this way too. I am a shell of a person and I'm trying to be more than that. Since I've started being honest I've felt more alive. But I still struggle with the question, who am I? Where is the meaning in my life? I love my family but I'm living this role that isn't me...I don't belong here. It just feels off and I need to be true to myself. So, I understand, and, I don't know, I think we all feel this way from time to time.

Hang in there Rose, it will get better. (*hug*)

9. palimpsest

CF, good call. Thanks.

10. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

(&&&)(&&&)(&&&)(&&&)(&&&)

11. HopeFloats

This is such a good thread. When I started coming out, I started with the lesbians at my church. They were super supportive. (Of the three I started with, 2 seem surprised and 1 didn't, interestingly.) One of the women I talked to in that initial conversation said that being gay didn't define me, that it was just one part of me. She also reassured me that I'm a beloved child of God just as I am. As comforting as the second part of what she said has been, I was troubled by the first part. I felt like acknowledging that I'm gay changed EVERYTHING. But for me, over the past few months, I've begun to see what she means. I'm still a lawyer, a mom, a Sunday school teacher, a friend, a daughter to my mom (who has accepted me as I am). I'm wearing new glasses - so I see and understand the world and my place in it more clearly - I wish I could remember who said that about the glasses in another thread a week or so ago!
    It may be because I had already set my life up, especially post divorce, in a way that would be comfortable for me as a lesbian. I live in a different state than my family of origin. I've been going to an LGBT friendly church for 7 years. I already knew gay couples with children. All of that begs the question of why it took so long for me to come out! But I am trying not to beat myself up about that.

12. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

(*hug*)Love your post Hope! I think 2 of us here at EC mentioned glasses recently.
    After 20 years of headaches I got new glasses last winter (1st glasses ever-Drs always said eyes were fine. New Dr. had latest Dx machine.) W/glasses headaches went away. Came out to Dad/forever mom soon after. Headaches are back. Eyes are blurry. Time to make an appt
    Definately need to see more clearly. And sleep! I need sleep after almost a year of crazy sleep. Another appt! Lack of sleep or crappy sleep can effect emotions, thinking & how we look at our lives so I am admitting I need some help!

(&&&)(&&&)(&&&)

#32 Rose27, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2013
  13. Tyler1

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In someway it is like going through adolescence again. You will feel your way around what the new rules are, just as you did when straight. It was both exciting and a little daunting at first because this second adolescence was much, much later. Sit back and enjoy the ride to come.

14. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Maybe to figure out who I am I need to figure out 1st who I am not.

15. flatlander48

Well, I think you are on the way to becoming the person that you were always intended to be. Misfortune and social dynamics worked to derail you for a time, but now it seems that you are about back on track.

However, consider this. I don't know how old you are, but remember that it has taken some time to get to this point. All the bits and pieces that you talked about having given up didn't happen in a matter of a few days or months. Why then, do we expect that it will all be undone in a short time?

Relax a bit. Life, and you, will go on...