1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which one should i go with?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Justmeisenough, May 1, 2023.

1. Justmeisenough

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I need advice from someone who can understand.

So im finishing up my first year in community college and many people advised me to get an internship early on. So i started looking but i pay for everything i have because my father neglects my every needs since i was a kid. Right now im in serious need of a full time or oart time job for MANY reasons (Moving out for mental health reasons, saving for a car to get places and jist being able to buy basic hygiene products etc) I dont knowbif i should govthrough with the internship that several cities away and have no idea how im getting there but will be beneficial for my career or get a simple full time or part time job in my city to save and be able to support myself. Please i need help on this.

2. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Internships are great because they're real work experience in your field that you can put on your resume, but they're not so great that I would at all recommend running yourself into the ground for one. Internships don't pay well, if they even pay at all. You're also only in your first year so you have time to look at internships later. Get a job that you know you'll be able to get to and that will allow you to take care of yourself.

Justmeisenough likes this.
  3. Wanderlost

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can only speak about my own degree program. I can get paid internships, and it's definitely recommended. In my case though, (design engineering) the internships are awarded based on merit, and they do pay well, but they are usually only for the Summer because the degree program doesn't make time in the class schedule for a day job, which is when anyone these types of jobs occur. Maybe you have more flexibility? However, they are not the only way to success. Plenty of people still graduate and find great careers without having been an intern. If you literally don't know how you're going to survive financially without staying closer to where you are and getting a job locally then do you have a choice? Will you be commuting back and forth to this city from where you currently live? Does the city where the internship is located have mass transit? subway, light rail, and bus?

AnxiousReader and Justmeisenough like this.