1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When will, or will ever same sex marriage become legal?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ardelia, Apr 3, 2013.

1. SameAsYou

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, The way I see it here in my home state (Texas) , It might be accepted within 10 years or so, but I still think it's too long , and their should be some sort of Gay Rights Movement down in the south , a Big movement , because it's disappointing that I won't be able to marry in my own state within 10 years or so, But , who knows , maybe Texas will be the first southern state to finally accepted in the next few years or so...

2. hkboy93

Hong Kong
    Hopefully sooner than later...10 years~

3. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hard to say, for my home state...Civil Unions were legalized this year, so maybe within a couple years for Marriage

For the country as a whole...I think allot could have to do with the supreme court's outcome on DOMA & Prop 8

------
    Did anyone see this: (most recent issue of Time Magazine) ?
    <haven't read it (yet), just snapped a quick pic when I saw it>

Attached Files:

4. IrishEyes1989

^^ OMG yes!! Best Time cover(s) ever!! :grin:<3

This is why the fight against DOMA is so vitally important in the United States right now. I am hoping with all my heart that the Supreme Court has enough balls and sense to overturn it. The final ruling will have a huge impact on my girlfriend and I as well as millions of other people. If it is deemed unconstitutional, it will be the first major step forward for true equality for LGBT Americans. If that happens, my girlfriend and I will have the option of getting married in the US and our marriage would be recognized in every state.

I am so incredibly proud to live in a country where same sex marriage has been legal for eight years and is fully part of our society and I can only hope that the US will follow suit. It really is time for the American government to turn the tide on this issue once and for all.

5. needshelp

this year hopefully.

6. Harve

And yet abortion is still almost always illegal... crazy.

7. evora

I'm not very optimistic about same sex marriage being legalized in my lifetime, at least not in this country. We have civil partnership at the moment, but it could all change after the upcoming elections. Actually, I really think it will, because even though it's legal, homosexuality is very rarely (if ever) mentioned and it's frowned upon by most people (that I know).

8. Happy Guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    maybe a century. Welcome to India !!

9. JPC

JPC Guest

In Spain, where I live now, it's been legal for a few years now.
    Back home in Ireland the government are going to be looking at it later this month. We have a few openly gay politicians (We were really close to having a gay president last year) and there's overwhelming support for it (almost 75% approval) so I think it will be legal there within the next two or three years.

10. Happy Guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    wow western people are lucky. lets hope that Asian Govt lean something from these countries.

11. Tim

Tim

Honestly, I was thinking about this the other day.

When I was little, something like this was unheard of.

Now it's legal in multiple states and it's a hot button issue that most Americans are for, not against.

We've come such a long way in such a short time.

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, in Australia, our government (really only the PM) doesn't support same sex marriage, and the opposition that almost certainly will replace our current government are the conservatives, so not happening in the next few years at a federal level I think. Where I live, in Canberra, it's pretty liberal, so we might see same-sex marriages from the A.C.T. government. In Queensland, the conservatives (called the Liberal Party, ironically) actually banned domestic partnerships and removed some anti-discrimination laws (killing a gay in Queensland because he hit on you and you "panicked" is a legal defence that makes a prison sentence last around 10 years instead of life), so we've a way to go.

13. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

I bet that it will be legal in the north in the next 2 years or so. But the south is a completely different story. I'd say that same sex marriages would be legalized in about 50 years for the bible belt (Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, etc). The south is so far behind in civil rights. I know of a private country club near where I live that unofficially segregates, as there are hundreds of members and no minorities whatsoever. I sometimes swim and play golf there when my friend invites me, and the only minorities that we see there are the ones working. He says that since they are a private institution, they can deny whoever for any reason they want. Also, one of my teachers taught at their middle school before changing schools, and she said that out of about 500 kids, there was only one black student. She says that they get away with this because the school is so well to do that they don't recieve any federal funding. So, if the south can't move past segregation, I don't see how they could accept same sex marriages any time soon.

14. IrishEyes1989

I have lived in Texas and Tennessee (mostly because of my dad's job when I was growing up) and everything you've said about the south is so true. My parents were actually members of a golf and country club when we lived in Texas and I don't think I ever saw any patrons there who weren't white. As you said, the only minorities in sight were the staff. On that note, I was half shocked, half amused to discover that all of the stereotypes of Mexican gardeners and service workers in Texas are not stereotypes at all, but reality.

One thing is for sure. If DOMA is overturned, the south are gonna be PISSED.

15. knightwing

Im from Aussie too and this really annoys me *rant coming on*. I used to like Gillard until I found this out. I hope it becomes legal in Queensland in time so I can marry my future boyfriend #remains hopeful.

16. Quaiv

Outch. And now Gillard disappoints me. I don't live in Australia, but I really admire her.
    In France, where I live, the bill has passed the Assemblée Nationale, but there's still the Sénat and I'm increasingly worried. Those who are against it have been lobbying for months, and have managed to shift the opinion... And they insist they're not homophobic. And they pretend to defend children. Well apparently not us queer children and teens...